Boos for Bobby? Really?

greg775

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 01:51 AM)
Who cares, I'm pretty sure a good amount of people watching at home were cursing their heads off yelling at bobby through the TV.

He sucked, fans were pissed. Get over it.

This is irony at its best. People passing opinion on people, who can't stand to have opinion passed on them. Get over it indeed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 09:54 AM)
Man.

It would take a whole heckofa lot for me to boo a player on the Sox. See: Dewayne Wise.

But Bobby??! He's been an absolute stud, and is running a little cold right now. I'd have been a hellofa lot disappointed, but i wouldnt boo him.

Seriously. It has to be the casual fans who fill up the park in July. I don't think I would ever boo Bobby, no matter what. Wise is a good example, that would be the closest I would go to booing a player wearing Sox pinstripes. I think the only player I ever booed at a game was Mike Jackson.

Look if you're a major league ballplayer, it doesn't matter if you play in Chicago, New York, or Kansas City.

If you're getting paid a lot of money to produce and for whatever reason you don't do it (whether like a previous poster said about A-Roid in NY or whether KC fans would have booed Tony Pena Jr. for being such an offensive juggernaut), fans are going to boo you.

And they're thick skinned enough to deal with it. Or at least they should be.

Man oh man what a tired topic. For the anti-booing people, yeah I'm with you and I'd never boo a Sox player except in some extreme circumstance (I'd probably boo Wise on one of his 3 K days since he sarcastically asked us to), but everybody doesn't live in this idealistic fantasyland so this is irrelevant. In the real world, pro sporting events have thousands of fans, some of whom are drunken and ignorant and nothing at all like you (the guy who thinks booing is bad), and when they get pissed off at a player playing poorly, they boo. Although some are worse than others there is no exception for any fanbase, and no player is immune. It happens all the time. Why do people have to act like it's such a horrible, unheard-of thing?

Edited by lostfan

For all of the people that want to act indignant about booing any certain player, I have to ask you one thing:

Which do you think any player would dislike more, your opinion of any player in any thread from any performance that is on this website told straight to their face, or a booing for a s***ty performance.

I bet the player could care less about being booed as opposed to reading through a gamethread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
For all of the people that want to act indignant about booing any certain player, I have to ask you one thing:

Which do you think any player would dislike more, your opinion of any player in any thread from any performance that is on this website told straight to their face, or a booing for a s***ty performance.

I bet the player could care less about being booed as opposed to reading through a gamethread

I hope DeWayne Wise doesn't read Soxtalk

Sometimes, even the greatest players are going to fail. Ted Williams was booed at Fenway and Mike Schmidt went through his own little slice of hell in Philly, but damn it, that doesn't make it right. Now Jaime Navarro, he desrved every damn boo he heard, because the man just an ass. But for these guys that go out there and try to do their best, well, you'll never here me boo anybody in Sox uniform that does that. Even, Dwayne Wise.

I personally would not boo Bobby Jenks, even despite being as concerned about him as anybody on this board. I'm not a big proponent of booing players on my own team, however I would not pass judgement on somebody else who does boo a player because that's their right as a paying customer. I just don't agree with them.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
Sometimes, even the greatest players are going to fail. Ted Williams was booed at Fenway and Mike Schmidt went through his own little slice of hell in Philly, but damn it, that doesn't make it right. Now Jaime Navarro, he desrved every damn boo he heard, because the man just an ass. But for these guys that go out there and try to do their best, well, you'll never here me boo anybody in Sox uniform that does that. Even, Dwayne Wise.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
I personally would not boo Bobby Jenks, even despite being as concerned about him as anybody on this board. I'm not a big proponent of booing players on my own team, however I would not pass judgement on somebody else who does boo a player because that's their right as a paying customer. I just don't agree with them.

My opinion is something like a combination of these 2 posts. I don't like booing players except for those who are assholes, I wouldn't do it and don't like or condone it, but I get that it's going to happen and I understand why.

Only drunks and baseball know-nothings would boo Jenks after Tuesday's outing. People whose behavior is governed by emotions rather than rational thinking also could boo Jenks, if their brains hold only short-term memories.

If someone boo'ed Jenks on Tuesday night, it shows either:

-- they don't understand baseball, and that this is a 162-game season where on any given night something unexpectedly good or bad can happen.

-- they don't understand that it was Ozzie's decision to put Jenks in the game and leave him in, when there were other options.

-- they focused just on Jenks, rather than the Sox hitters, who scored only 2 runs all game.

-- they don't understand that closers are humans, and not robots that nail down 100% of all save opportunities.

-- they don't know history or baseball statistics, which prove Jenks to be one of the best closers in the game since 2005 - and someone who closed out a World Series victory for the Sox.

-- they don't understand motivation.

-- or they were drunk or just stupid.

Silence, when Jenks came off the mound, or a "You'll get 'em next time, big boy", was the proper response.

Jenks is always hard on himself - witness his reaction upon coming off the mound. He doesn't need any supposed Sox fans giving him a hard time.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
Only drunks and baseball know-nothings would boo Jenks after Tuesday's outing. People whose behavior is governed by emotions rather than rational thinking also could boo Jenks, if their brains hold only short-term memories.

-- they don't understand baseball, and that this is a 162-game season where on any given night something unexpectedly good or bad can happen.

-- they don't understand that it was Ozzie's decision to put Jenks in the game and leave him in, when there were other options.

-- they focused just on Jenks, rather than the Sox hitters, who scored only 2 runs all game.

-- they don't understand that closers are humans, and not robots that nail down 100% of all save opportunities.

-- they don't know history or baseball statistics, which prove Jenks to be one of the best closers in the game since 2005 - and someone who closed out a World Series victory for the Sox.

Silence, when Jenks came off the mound, or a "You'll get 'em next time, big boy", was the proper response.

Jenks is always hard on himself - witness his reaction upon coming off the mound. He doesn't need any supposed Sox fans giving him a hard time.

Well said. Bobby is hard enough on himself and the boos must have bothered him or Ozzie would not have brought them up. People have a right to boo and a right to be stupid. That doesn't mean they should.

Some people have short memories.

I'm a bit indifferent on Bobby.

I'm glad of what he has done for us for the past 5 years.

On the other hand, I think if we could get a lot for Bobby this off-season, I'd definitely trade him. He is regressing. We have arms in the bullpen that can close.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)

I was there and I didn't boo.

But the people around me started to and it was really stupid to experience it.

I respect the hell out of Ozzie for sticking up for his guy and I do agree with some comments that maybe us fans should give the guys some slack, but...

when you sign up for this gig, that's part of mix that you will be booed if you suck. Bobby has sucked and he's been booed...why is this such a weird thing for him (and Ozzie)?

He isn't near the first to have this happen and won't be the last. Instead of worrying about the fans, who slap down their hard earned money to watch a bunch of milionaires play a game, maybe they should figure out WHY Bobby is pitching poorly.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
I respect the hell out of Ozzie for sticking up for his guy and I do agree with some comments that maybe us fans should give the guys some slack, but...

when you sign up for this gig, that's part of mix that you will be booed if you suck. Bobby has sucked and he's been booed...why is this such a weird thing for him (and Ozzie)?

He isn't near the first to have this happen and won't be the last. Instead of worrying about the fans, who slap down their hard earned money to watch a bunch of milionaires play a game, maybe they should figure out WHY Bobby is pitching poorly.

Ozzie did state why he thinks Jenks is in a slump: location. Too many first pitch balls (falling behind in the count), walks and hit batters. That's what Jenks will be working on.

Some of the millionaires care a lot about their performances (I'd definitely put Jenks in this category), and some don't, like "Big Game" Javy Vazquez, who infamously said words to the effect last year that "it doesn't matter if I win a big game or not, either way I'm going to be relaxing on the beach in Puerto Rico when the season is over". Ozzie made sure Javy got a one-way ticket to Atlanta, and Jenks is still here. Support him.

I am sure that all the people who just can't seem to fathom WHY someone would boo Jenks were NOT swearing at their TV when Bobbie walked in the go ahead run or anything. No cussing, no muttering, no disgust at the performance at all.