Boos for Bobby? Really?

greg775

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
I am sure that all the people who just can't seem to fathom WHY someone would boo Jenks were NOT swearing at their TV when Bobbie walked in the go ahead run or anything. No cussing, no muttering, no disgust at the performance at all.

there's a difference between saying "ah f***" and "bobby you suck"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would certainly be upset and dropping f-bombs at the park during that debacle, but I would NEVER boo Bobby because he blew a save.

I think that'd be a proper response to those who like to yell stuff. I have no problem with that.

The other response would be to walk out in silence, shaking one's head.

To those who say you have the right to boo cause you pay good money. Nobody is denying that. To those who say all big leaguers should be prepared to be booed, nobody's denying that. What the non booers are saying is Jenks doesn't deserve it and it makes our fan base look very stupid and can do nothing positive to help his confidence the next time.

Our fan base apparently is the same as Philly/NY, etc. We boo our No. 25 player and one of our best players. Dumb.

p.s. Let's say Mark gets rocked his next four home starts and just plain sucks. We boo him, right?

It's stupid to boo.

Edited by greg775

Uttered today by me. And by uttered, I mean yelled in a very loud voice. "s***! That goddamned fatass jenks has pitched with his f*ckign head up his ass for a f*cking month! F*CK he sucks right now! F*ck! F*ck! F*ck!" And if you question my baseball knowledge or fandome, you all can kiss my ass.

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 12:47 AM)
As you can probably guess from my screen name, my dad was a Sox fan and lived his life, growing up in Bridgeport with Mayor Daley #1, without ever experiencing a World Series championship. These are my thoughts, based on how I was brought up to behave as a fan. I hope that I can pass them, as I have passed my love of the Chicago White Sox, on to my children.

There are 2 ways to look at cheering/booing, from the "I need to express my feelings." point of view and the "What will support my team?" point of view. In addition, and I think it still matters, is the idea of good sportsmanship. I think that the latter two thoughts (team support and sportsmanship) trump the first (the need to express feelings). I try to control myself accordingly.

Does anybody think that Bobbie and Ozzie and the team aren't equally frustrated and disappointed? Does anybody think that they don't know the fans won't be happy with serial poor performances? Does anyone doubt Bobbie's effort or his desire to win? Is booing going to help him get better? Don't we really "owe" him the support inherent in accepting a bad spell? It's very difficult to be a player in the MLB. What is the boing except a lack of the ability to control when and how emotions are expressed? It is a game. It's fine to get hugely angry at the events as they unfold, but it is wrong to direct booing at the player when the outcome is bad. I think it is only OK to boo when there is a lack of complete effort and when there is an example on the field of poor sportsmanship or cheating. Silence while exiting the game is fine, as noted in a post above. Obviously, this is America and fans do pay a lot of money to see these game, so there is a "right" to boo, but I think it is wrong and we, as fans, need to control ourselves.

Sorry for the long post. This is just, as you can tell, at "hot button" issue for me. Thank you to those who've gotten through this.

Steve

LOL. Yeah, I'm sure it's really difficult to get paid MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dollars a year to play a GAME, as you pointed out in your post. It's a game, and he's getting paid millions of dollars of WE THE FAN'S MONEY to play it. I don't agree with booing, but you're dead wrong that we owe him anything. Fans pay for their right to boo him.

Fans pay for their right to boo him.

That's always the argument. Yes you have the right. But people like me can call you a bad fan. Yes a bad fan.

Why?

The guy is a closer, one of the toughest jobs on the field. In that role has a good to excellent track record and a spot in our lore with the WS title.

He is likeable, not a bum. A true fan would shut the f*** up when he sucks or scream at the situation, not the player. Booing is unproductive and not a classy thing to do IMO.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
That's always the argument. Yes you have the right. But people like me can call you a bad fan. Yes a bad fan.

Why?

The guy is a closer, one of the toughest jobs on the field. In that role has a good to excellent track record and a spot in our lore with the WS title.

He is likeable, not a bum. A true fan would shut the f*** up when he sucks or scream at the situation, not the player. Booing is unproductive and not a classy thing to do IMO.

The fans are booing the result more than anything. It really wouldn't matter WHO came into the game, loaded the bases, and then walked in the tying run. They'd probably get boo'd in pretty much any ballpark in the country, and it wouldn't matter who it was blowing the save. The situation is pretty much unacceptable for any closer, especially one making millions of dollars a year, to record maybe 12 outs a week.