Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great season opener by Mizzou. Still don't buy the Illinois WR core hype. Granted Been being out was massive, but the WRs didn't stand out. Juice does a great job of making them look worse though. He has to be one of the worst passing QBs in a BCS program.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
you knew he wasn't a good football coach, he's just a hell of a recruiter.

And even that's up for debate. The last good class was the Benn/Wilson/McCray haul (Wilson has not come close to recognizing his talent. And McCray was obviously a bust). I've got nothing to say. Absolutely pathetic performance against a s***ty Missouri team (and when I say s***ty I mean this obviously isn't the same caliber team of the past couple years). Blaine Gabbert? Give me a f***ing break. We haven't had anything remotely close to a solid running game since Mendenhall left. And when you have an erratic QB like Juice, you'll never have a consistent offense.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
Perhaps N.D.'s schedule isn't so easy after all.

I still think ND will be lucky to win 9 games. I'm guessing 8. Beating Washington, Michigan State, USC, Pittsburgh away, Stanford away, and BC isn't going to be a cake-walk.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

It's about time to fire Zook after this season, and bring in somebody with a clue to coach. I still there there is a lot of talent in the program, so 2010 could be a very good season if a coach who knows how to do his job on gameday is hired in Champaign. Yesterday was about as pathetic as it gets for the Illini, because I honestly still don't think that Missouri is all that good (I think Nebraska will win the North). Also, Notre Dame's performance yesterday convinced me that they can go back to the glory days of 2006 this year, beating up on a relative cupcake schedule before they completely embarass themselves in a BCS Bowl against real competition, although their schedule isn't quite as easy as it looks. I'm pretty happy about NIU's overall prospects too, as they played about as bad as they can play for 3 quarters and still ended up 35 yards and a 2 pointer away from overtime at Wisconsin.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Nevada won a bowl game last year

Michigan is usually good

Michigan St. won 9 games

Purdue is rebuilding

Washington's looking good early

USC is always good

Boston College also won 9

Washington St. is not great, yeah

Navy's been tough, almost beat Ohio St

Pittsburgh won 9

Connecticut was in a bowl game last year

Stanford is rebuilding

I see maybe 3 "puff" teams. The rest are competitive or good.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
Nevada won a bowl game last year

Michigan is usually good

Michigan St. won 9 games

Purdue is rebuilding

Washington's looking good early

USC is always good

Boston College also won 9

Washington St. is not great, yeah

Navy's been tough, almost beat Ohio St

Pittsburgh won 9

Connecticut was in a bowl game last year

Stanford is rebuilding

I see maybe 3 "puff" teams. The rest are competitive or good.

Washington's looking good early I would argue. They haven't won a game since 2007, and they really weren't a threat at any point in the 4th quarter last night hosting a sleepwalking LSU team. In general though, I don't think Notre Dame purposely scheduled a creampuff schedule this year, it just turned out to be one.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
Washington's looking good early I would argue. They haven't won a game since 2007, and they really weren't a threat at any point in the 4th quarter last night hosting a sleepwalking LSU team. In general though, I don't think Notre Dame purposely scheduled a creampuff schedule this year, it just turned out to be one.

There isn't a SWAC, MAC or 1AA team on that schedule.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
They schedule these teams 5-8 years ahead of time.

I know that (although it's generally more like 3 to 5, but your point still stands), and as I said, I don't blame Notre Dame or say that they purposely schedule a bunch of creampuffs this year. But the fact remains, as it turned out, it is a soft schedule.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
How weak would a Big East-heavy schedule look, though.

I have always wanted to see Notre Dame join the Big 10 for football, and the league make divisions and have a conference championship game, although I'm not sure how feasible that is. Although, the Big 10 isn't exactly great right now either, especially considering that Iowa appears to suck after their performance yesterday, Illinois is going to be a major letdown again, and Ohio State is going to get beat (probably rather easily) at home by a USC team with a true freshman quarterback in front of the whole world next week (sorry Rock).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

That's my point.

Most teams that have conference schedules play relative lower talent teams too.

Penn State has Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota...

USC has Washington, Washington St., Stanford, Arizona, Oregon St...

Florida has Vanderbilt, Mississippi St, South Carolina, Auburn, Kentucky...

Texas has Kansas St, Texas A&M, Iowa St, Baylor, Colorado...

Plus in their non-conference games, they play teams like St Mary's School For Girls, and Broken Pelvis State.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)

Half of Washington's campus already has swine flu I think, that ought to hurt them.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
Every year they say that ND's schedule is weak, and every year 6 or 7 of the teams on their schedule make bowl games.

That only makes it average though. It's not loaded with creampuffs, but it's not loaded with top 25 teams either. Just one on the entire schedule? It's essentially a Big East schedule, not worse, but not much better if at all.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
It hasn't been weak at all the last two years, that (along with Charlie Weis) has played a major role into their play.

Fair, but they lost to Syracuse. No excuses at that point.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
That's my point.

Plus in their non-conference games, they play teams like St Mary's School For Girls, and Broken Pelvis State.

That's fine, but a team or two from each of those lists would be an above average team on Notre Dame's schedule this year.

Northwestern, Iowa possibly.

Oregon State probably will be, Arizona could be.

South Carolina or Auburn?

Baylor for sure, maybe Colorado.

ND's schedule is weak for a big program that is preseason top 25. It's a Big East caliber schedule, which is only ok. Gonna need 2-3 teams to go above expectations on that schedule. That's not unthinkable, but not probable.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
That's my point.

We don't play Texas.