Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)
i honestly think joe mckinght is the best player in college football...too bad musburger turned matt barkleys screen passes into elway vs. the browns.....barkley played slightly less s***ty than terrelle pryor who looked like a f***ing girl out there...god that was an awful awful performance from a guy who is supposed to be a legit heisman contender down the road....i hate USC with a burning passion, but the talent they get year after year is legit...without a doubt its the easiest school in the country to recruit to, but still pete carroll gets the most out of his talent, even if he is a douche amongst douches

Yeah, what a girl. I mean the guy had the most yards of anyone that was on the field buy a good margin, but damn, what a girl. I mean, your unbiased opinion is so valuable its ridiculous.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 13, 2009 -> 05:40 AM)
Yeah, what a girl. I mean the guy had the most yards of anyone that was on the field buy a good margin, but damn, what a girl. I mean, your unbiased opinion is so valuable its ridiculous.

he was 11-25 with 0 TDs and 1 INT, and the INT was an enormous play in that game (not to mention a brutally awful read and throw)... but yeah he really tore it up...and you are right the 10 more total yards he had over barkley is a good margin ...yeah, i was probably a bit harsh on him but everything we heard going into yesterday was how much better this kid has gotten as a passer, and i certainly didn't see it....not to mention looking clueless as to what to do with 1 minute left in the game and 30 or so yards to get to give his team a chance at a FG

the OSU defense deserves a ton of credit though...they bottled up the ridiculously good usc running backs for 55 minutes, and if it wasn't for pryors INT that gave USC a TD it would have looked that much better. Speaking of which, i watched that first USC TD on DVR 5 times and I don't think Johnson was actually in on 4th down. I can't believe they reviewed Herron's TD and not Johnsons. It would have been nice of ABC/ESPN (whatever it was on) to have given us another freaking angle or replay of it.

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 13, 2009 -> 05:40 AM)

Sorry, but the truth is, Pryor is the reason the Buckeyes lost last night as far as I'm concerned. Sure, the defense gave up the big drive late, and I know that is very, very important. But really, if you hold USC to 18 points in your house, you have to win the game. Period. And Pryor simply did not live up to the hype he had coming into Ohio State last night, and you have to play big and win games like that (especially at home) if you are really this 5 star, superstud prospect. And the youth excuse doesn't apply when the freshman QB on the other side of the field led his team 86 yards down the field to win the game when it was really needed. But it's ok because "everybody murders people, kills people, steals from you, steals from me".

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 13, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
Sorry, but the truth is, Pryor is the reason the Buckeyes lost last night as far as I'm concerned. Sure, the defense gave up the big drive late, and I know that is very, very important. But really, if you hold USC to 18 points in your house, you have to win the game. Period. And Pryor simply did not live up to the hype he had coming into Ohio State last night, and you have to play big and win games like that (especially at home) if you are really this 5 star, superstud prospect. And the youth excuse doesn't apply when the freshman QB on the other side of the field led his team 86 yards down the field to win the game when it was really needed. But it's ok because "everybody murders people, kills people, steals from you, steals from me".

While I agree with you on Pryor, I think a lot of the blame also needs to fall on the shoulders of Tressel. He has no creativity in play calling and his coaching staff isnt good at developing QBs.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 13, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)

Nice quote, are you still not able to understand what he meant? its not really that hard to understand the concept of second chances.

And why doesnt his age and experience factor into your expectations of the kid again? Because the QB across the field tossed 3 yard passes to a RB who carried his team to the win? Barkley didnt do s*** in that last drive, so not sure how his age affects the obvious lofty expectations you have for Pryor. Tressel killed his team in that game, absolutely fumbled the play calling as soon as they went ahead. This has been his downfall for YEARS. If you watched the game then you noticed Pryor has some throws he could make last year, and you also noticed that he made some youthful mistakes in a huge game against one of the best teams in the country. A game which you and just about every other person on this board thought would be a blowout.

The one thing everyone should come out of that game knowing is that the young talent that OSU is recruiting is legit and is directly on par with what the top teams in the country have. By the end of the season, this young Buckeye team is going to be extremely dangerous, and even more so next season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
Nice quote, are you still not able to understand what he meant? its not really that hard to understand the concept of second chances.

And why doesnt his age and experience factor into your expectations of the kid again? Because the QB across the field tossed 3 yard passes to a RB who carried his team to the win? Barkley didnt do s*** in that last drive, so not sure how his age affects the obvious lofty expectations you have for Pryor. Tressel killed his team in that game, absolutely fumbled the play calling as soon as they went ahead. This has been his downfall for YEARS. If you watched the game then you noticed Pryor has some throws he could make last year, and you also noticed that he made some youthful mistakes in a huge game against one of the best teams in the country. A game which you and just about every other person on this board thought would be a blowout.

The one thing everyone should come out of that game knowing is that the young talent that OSU is recruiting is legit and is directly on par with what the top teams in the country have. By the end of the season, this young Buckeye team is going to be extremely dangerous, and even more so next season.

His 10 yard pass to McKnight which turned into about a 23 yard pass, and his pass to McCoy for about 28 yards is s***. Totally agree.

Anyways, I wouldn't be so proud of the Buckeyes if I were you. The Trojans have 4 new LB's, they lost 2 CB's, they have a freshman QB, and an average group of WR's besides Damian Williams.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
His 10 yard pass to McKnight which turned into about a 23 yard pass, and his pass to McCoy for about 28 yards is s***. Totally agree.

Anyways, I wouldn't be so proud of the Buckeyes if I were you. The Trojans have 4 new LB's, they lost 2 CB's, they have a freshman QB, and an average group of WR's besides Damian Williams.

Are you trying to say that one pass was really impressive?

So you are saying USC isnt the 3rd best team in the country? Where would you rank them then? I didnt realize you thought they were entirely pedestrian. I was very happy that OSU played the way they did after losing their entire LB core, both DB's, one of the best RB in the country and their veteran WR core who are all also in the NFL. Very proud indeed. If Tress didnt s*** down his leg, I would be even happier coming out of that game with a win.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
Are you trying to say that one pass was really impressive?

So you are saying USC isnt the 3rd best team in the country? Where would you rank them then? I didnt realize you thought they were entirely pedestrian. I was very happy that OSU played the way they did after losing their entire LB core, both DB's, one of the best RB in the country and their veteran WR core who are all also in the NFL. Very proud indeed. If Tress didnt s*** down his leg, I would be even happier coming out of that game with a win.

No, but considering he wasn't even using his right hand in postgame stuff, I'd say that was impressive.

And I do think they are, but I think they'll finish with 1 or 2 losses (@ Cal, maybe even this weekend @ WASH, maybe @ ORE on Halloween).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)

Yeah, but that's not what he said, regardless of what he meant. The quote was completely retarded, and he should get attention for saying what he said, and well, did.

Good take I found:

http://cfn.scout.com/2/896137.html

Does Tony Dungy have some time to have a sit down with Terrelle Pryor? The kid appears as if he’s in need of some advice and sound direction.

Listen, I’ve said all along that I have no beef with Michael Vick being back in the NFL. He did his time, he paid a hefty price, and deserves another chance to pursue his chosen. Suggesting otherwise just doesn’t make good common sense. However, in light of the reasons why he spent almost two years behind bars, why, as Pryor did on Saturday, would you script his name in your eye black during a game? It was shockingly asinine and surprising that Jim Tressel didn’t notice it.

On a weekend, when Oklahoma lost Sam Bradford and a game to BYU, and Notre Dame and Michigan took baby steps back to prominence, maybe my focus should be elsewhere, but Pryor’s move irked me for its infinite stupidity. A show of support? Are you kidding me? Raise your hand if you feel more compassion for Vick now that Pryor treated his face like a billboard. Okay, now raise your hand if you think the sophomore needs a six-credit class in public relations. If you want to flash your individuality, please do us all a favor and take it away from the stadium. One of the beauties of the college game is that, in stark contrast to the NFL, the program and the school trump the individual. It’s a team thing at this level.

Pryor’s response to the move was arguably stranger than the show of support itself. After the game, he offered this gem:

"Not everybody is the perfect person in the world. Everyone does — kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me. I just feel that people need to give him a chance."

Did Terrelle forego a helmet on Sunday? There are bigger issues out there, I know, but this level of oddity should not be swept under the carpet. Please, guys, play the game and save your personal leanings to any day but Saturday. Honest, by being somewhat bland as an amateur, you’ll do yourself a huge favor in the long run.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 07:03 PM)
HE'S-A-FRESH-MEN, CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!

Brilliant coaching by Wies. Let's run the clock out by throwing 30 yard passes with 3 minutes left and watch them fall incomplete.

We will be getting paid for 10 years while doing nothing.

Easy to point out after the fact, since they lost. If it worked, you don't say anything.

I have no problem with a team trying to end the game, not just run the ball to run the ball, with a backup RB and 9/10 in the box, single coverage on receivers, and a pass offense that has got it done all game. You complete one and the game is over.

Running the ball just to run the ball and basically giving it back to the other team sucks and is playing not to lose. I'd rather try to win the game than not lose it. A lot of coaches would have done the exact same thing in that situation.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
Easy to point out after the fact, since they lost. If it worked, you don't say anything.

I have no problem with a team trying to end the game, not just run the ball to run the ball, with a backup RB and 9/10 in the box, single coverage on receivers, and a pass offense that has got it done all game. You complete one and the game is over.

Running the ball just to run the ball and basically giving it back to the other team sucks and is playing not to lose. I'd rather try to win the game than not lose it. A lot of coaches would have done the exact same thing in that situation.

If it worked, I say Weis got lucky and it was still an awful play call. If Tate was in there and that is where the pass was going to, I wouldn't say anything. He was the best player on the field til he got hurt.

Michigan couldn't stop the run for crap. They gave up 6 yards per carry. Running the ball was the right decision if you want ND to win.

Ball and clock management is part of trying to win the game. ND had the lead, it's not like it was tied.

Edited by Brian

On NCAA 2003 for Nintendo Gamecube, virtual Lee Corso ridicules the piss out of you if you pass with the lead and the clock winding down in a close game. My 5 year old son (who worships Golden Tate) has learned never to do that, having been made fun of by "the Coach" and beaten in a last second come back by his old man. We actually talked about that as it was happening.

I was astonished Mr. "Decided Schematic Advantage" hadn't learned that lesson before. In that situation, being stuffed at the line twice is infinitely better than throwing two incompletes or risking picks. Imo, its an absolute no-brainer, and Weis, who seems to want badly to be lauded as a genius, really out-thought himself there.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
If it worked, I say Weis got lucky and it was still an awful play call. If Tate was in there and that is where the pass was going to, I wouldn't say anything. He was the best player on the field til he got hurt.

Michigan couldn't stop the run for crap. They gave up 6 yards per carry. Running the ball was the right decision if you want ND to win.

Ball and clock management is part of trying to win the game. ND had the lead, it's not like it was tied.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
On NCAA 2003 for Nintendo Gamecube, virtual Lee Corso ridicules the piss out of you if you pass with the lead and the clock winding down in a close game. My 5 year old son (who worships Golden Tate) has learned never to do that, having been made fun of by "the Coach" and beaten in a last second come back by his old man. We actually talked about that as it was happening.

I was astonished Mr. "Decided Schematic Advantage" hadn't learned that lesson before. In that situation, being stuffed at the line twice is infinitely better than throwing two incompletes or risking picks. Imo, its an absolute no-brainer, and Weis, who seems to want badly to be lauded as a genius, really out-thought himself there.

You mean Floyd. I wouldn't think you should say it's OK if one guy is in the game but not OK if he's not. Tate is a very good player as well. I mean you are either against the pass there or you aren't.

On 1st down Hughes, with Allen out, got stuffed. Doing that two more times doesn't accomplish much, I'd rather not give Michigan the ball back at all if possible.

Well duh, being stuffed is better than two incompletes, no one will argue that, but you aren't guaranteed incompletes by throwing the ball. One way you are basically guaranteeing you give them the ball back, the other way you are risking more time on clock vs not giving them the ball back at all quite possibly. I can see coaches doing either, not just hanging it on Weis.

FWIW, Herbstreit didn't have a problem with it either.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
You mean Floyd. I wouldn't think you should say it's OK if one guy is in the game but not OK if he's not. Tate is a very good player as well. I mean you are either against the pass there or you aren't.

On 1st down Hughes, with Allen out, got stuffed. Doing that two more times doesn't accomplish much, I'd rather not give Michigan the ball back at all if possible.

Well duh, being stuffed is better than two incompletes, no one will argue that, but you aren't guaranteed incompletes by throwing the ball. One way you are basically guaranteeing you give them the ball back, the other way you are risking more time on clock vs not giving them the ball back at all quite possibly. I can see coaches doing either, not just hanging it on Weis.

FWIW, Herbstreit didn't have a problem with it either.

To me the thing people aren't talking about is Armando Allen being out. Hughes isn't going to get you that first down and the way the Defense had been playing I agree with the concept you play to win. I would have liked to see some more high percentage passes on those plays though.

I still want to know how ND's TD and the Raiders TD (unrelated) for that matter were over-turned cause both of those replay rulings were horse-s***. Neither play had any sort of obvious evidence that warranted the plays to be over-turned.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
To me the thing people aren't talking about is Armando Allen being out. Hughes isn't going to get you that first down and the way the Defense had been playing I agree with the concept you play to win. I would have liked to see some more high percentage passes on those plays though.

I still want to know how ND's TD and the Raiders TD (unrelated) for that matter were over-turned cause both of those replay rulings were horse-s***. Neither play had any sort of obvious evidence that warranted the plays to be over-turned.

In the 3rd quarter they showed a replay in the Raiders game where the ball clearly came out after hitting the ground, I do agree on initial replays you definitely could not tell.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)

Fine, then you pass on third and long. But you certainly run on second down and burn an extra 40 seconds or a Mich. timeout, even without your starting back (hell, he called two passes down a starting WR). Hughes' career avg. of almost 4 yards a carry isn't exactly chopped liver, so you certainly can't assume that he'd be stuffed two or even three more times. The argument here seems to be that a hand off to Hughes would have been the same as taking a knee, or that running would have been tantamount to conceding defeat. There's just no way I can buy that.

Playing smart IS playing to win. Playing aggressively can be, but it wasn't there. At that point of the game, Michigan and the clock are co-opponents, and you have to take account of both.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
I had UCONN season tickets last year, and went to see them play UNC last week. You get the feeling that anything is possible in that division.

Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech, UNC, Boston College, Clemson, Ga. Tech, etc. are all teams that would be a tough matchup on a schedule. The ACC will be interesting. My Tarheels need to show some offensive firepower though. They were lucky to survive against UCONN, but I'll take it.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Illinois LB Martez Wilson out for the year

That sucks for an already bad defense (although Tez hasn't really proven anything yet).

The U appears to be "back" to a certain degree, looked great tonight. We will find out just how "back" they are in their next two games, because they'll need a win in Blacksburg next Saturday if they have ACC Title game hopes. Wouldn't surprise me if they win at least one of the next two between that one and vs. Oklahoma though, and they are in for a big season if that happens. They don't really have the big play threats at receiver yet, but with Harris playing as he is, maybe they don't need them.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Nice win tonight. Probably should have dropped 40+ put the team lost focus at the end. This might be a good thing since the coaches will have something to get on their asses about before VT. Missed one of our top 2 WR's tonight but there are plenty of playmakers at WR so we really didnt miss a beat.