Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 02:20 AM)
lol@ Iowa fans for rushing the field after they beat Michigan. Come on fans, your team is ranked in the top 15 and you were 8 point favorites. Plus Michigan isnt even ranked! What a joke.

Haha I'm not going to hate on them for that, they always rush the field if it's anything resembling an important win. At least they show consistency in that regard.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
Ahh I see, I put horrific defense on accident when I meant interceptions. My bad, because they actually were very good, and Wisconsin had the ball for like 42 minutes (never seen a team have the ball that long and not only lose, but lose by 18). I refuse to say a unit that missed two field goals (although one was like a 57 yarder, so really one field goal) and allowed a 96 yard kickoff touchdown played well though. And we'll see about the young talent in the Big 10 and being on it's way up. I suppose that's possible, but as for 2009, it's as bad as it's ever been.

2008 was worse,but I get what you're saying. Frankly I think OSU finishes with at least 1 conf loss, most likely 2, so it will be another team in a bowl game reppin the B10

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
2008 was worse,but I get what you're saying. Frankly I think OSU finishes with at least 1 conf loss, most likely 2, so it will be another team in a bowl game reppin the B10

I think it was a worse league this year, but I admit I'm going to have a hard time ever proving that since last year, the league only won 1 bowl game, and it will be hard to do worse than that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
I think it was a worse league this year, but I admit I'm going to have a hard time ever proving that since last year, the league only won 1 bowl game, and it will be hard to do worse than that.

With Michigan being as down as it was last year, its hard to say it was worse as well. It sucks to say, but the B10 is as good as its top teams and in the last few years, that tier has been mighty thin.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
Big props to Crompton today for finally playing like a real SEC QB. Over 300 yards and 4 TDs? Yes!

I don't think you want your QB to play like a real SEC QB. That usually is a pretty bad thing.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 12:26 AM)
I don't think you want your QB to play like a real SEC QB. That usually is a pretty bad thing.

Ha, this is true.

Seriously, though, who needs an elite QB as long as you're winning national championships every other year.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 08:31 PM)
Damnit! We had two guys open and Robinson throws it to a black jersey. Totally winnable game and Michigan beat themselves.

No offense Gage, but Iowa is not that good. This was the only time I have seen them so maybe they are better than how they played today.

Iowa wins. They have a strong defense and you can talk all you want but we forced turnovers despite erratic play from our QB. IF Stanzi gets his s*** together (and last season down the stretch he did) you'll see Iowa emerge much better. I am not saying they are a top 10 team, but I think they are a borderline top 15 team.

They have a very good defense and you guys were the first team they've played that runs more of an option offense (or whatever you want to call it).

Oh and currently we have the 2nd longest winning streak in the nation (*knocks on wood*).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
I have to agree with you Brian, you can't take away a 6-0 record from Iowa or the fact they have won all their games, but I think it's more a statement as to how absolutely horrible the Big 10 is than anything else. They played well at Iowa State (who has been better than I though they'd be, even if they are still mediocre), they did beat a Arizona team that will be in a decent to good bowl game by 10, and they took advantage of Penn State as they always do, but a miracle to beat a 1-AA team, winning by 3 over Arkansas State, and needing 5 turnovers to narrowly clip Michigan in Iowa City isn't exactly impressive. Even watching the Wisconsin at Ohio State game (I don't want to seem like I'm just picking on Iowa here), those are two of the upper echelon Big 10 teams right now and neither of them were exactly overwhelming today either (Wisconsin basically handed Ohio State and their crappy offense a win with horrific interceptions and special teams). There isn't a single Big 10 team I would consider impressive or dangerous right now, the league is a complete crapshoot. Ohio State will probably win the league though since they always seem to, get to play Iowa at home, and own Michigan, although the road game in Penn State will be tough. Then they'll lose their BCS Bowl and the league will be right back to square 1.

Also, LSU was exposed tonight. Florida went into Death Valley at night, just played a field position and defense game, and still dominated and won easily. It's pretty clear that the Alabama/Florida winner in Atlanta will be in the title game again (although I think that team will be Alabama this time).

Iowa played bad in there home opener, but there was nothing f***ing lucky about there win over a 1-AA team. The 2nd block was only needed because Iowa f***ed up on there own like they did the entire game. That whole 2nd half Iowa was a man among boys but couldn't finish.

Arkansas State, it wasn't a game. Yea the score was close but at no point in that game was Arkansas ever close to taking the lead, even though the final indicated it being closer than it was. And the Iowa-Michigan game, we were up by two scores most of the way despite spotting them 7 to start the game and blowing countless opportunities to put them away.

And that was against a solid Michigan squad that can score and the first offense Iowa has played like that all season. Oh and did I mention how Iowa can't ever f***ing beat Michigan...Michigan has won like 6 of there last 7 in Iowa City for pete sake. So ya, I'll take that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)

It won't be Iowa, there schedule gets f***ing impossible. If they somehow make it through Big 10 play undefeated, they'll be playing for a national championship game (given who they got left and where they are playing them). However, there is no way in hell that happens.

But I still love Ferentz. Iowa also has a pretty nice recruiting class coming together, two pretty good freshman backs and we'll have Jewel back next year. Stanzi should get better with more and more experience too and our young Freshman Keenan Davis, plus an emerging Nutt and Iowa should be more dangerous next year (which is great to know).

Oh and I'm quietly hoping Iowa can find a way to pull CJ Fiedorowicz out of his Illini commit. The guy is a freaking dumbass for choosing the Illini (who don't utilize there TE or even know how to) over Wiscy and Iowa.

With the Illini season turning into a disaster and Iowa likely to put another TE into the NFL (Moeaki), I could see them being able to get Fiedor to eventually buy into the Hawkeye way.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
Oh and I'm quietly hoping Iowa can find a way to pull CJ Fiedorowicz out of his Illini commit. The guy is a freaking dumbass for choosing the Illini (who don't utilize there TE or even know how to) over Wiscy and Iowa.

With the Illini season turning into a disaster and Iowa likely to put another TE into the NFL (Moeaki), I could see them being able to get Fiedor to eventually buy into the Hawkeye way.

By the way, Illini fans, Fiedor will be at the Iowa/Wiscy game and he's also scheduled to visit an Iowa game later on this year. He was at the Illini game this week too. I think he's one of your prizes that will be going elsewhere thanks to the poor season the Illini have put up.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
The Wisconsin-OSU was an annoying game to watch as a Wisconsin fan. Basically feel that if the offense and special teams could have held OSU to 7 points Wisconsin could have won that game.

Iowa- Wisconsin this week should be interesting.

I think Wiscy should be ranked. I've also long felt that Iowa and Wiscy are very similar teams and programs. Should be a great game. I hope Stanzi shows up, otherwise I could see you guys beating us by about 10 points. Ultimately it will come down to the defenses though. Can Iowa stop your rushing attack (tough task) and can you guys force Stanzi to have to win the game (I'm hoping to see a good game from Stanzi and above average games from our double-freshman attack).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
I think Wiscy should be ranked. I've also long felt that Iowa and Wiscy are very similar teams and programs. Should be a great game. I hope Stanzi shows up, otherwise I could see you guys beating us by about 10 points. Ultimately it will come down to the defenses though. Can Iowa stop your rushing attack (tough task) and can you guys force Stanzi to have to win the game (I'm hoping to see a good game from Stanzi and above average games from our double-freshman attack).

Wisconsin is going to be a tough matchup for alot of teams. Their Oline is good enough that you need a really good pash rush to disrupt their offense. If Tolzien has time he will pick you apart. Their defense is also very tough and their field position game is very good.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
Iowa played bad in there home opener, but there was nothing f***ing lucky about there win over a 1-AA team. The 2nd block was only needed because Iowa f***ed up on there own like they did the entire game. That whole 2nd half Iowa was a man among boys but couldn't finish.

Arkansas State, it wasn't a game. Yea the score was close but at no point in that game was Arkansas ever close to taking the lead, even though the final indicated it being closer than it was. And the Iowa-Michigan game, we were up by two scores most of the way despite spotting them 7 to start the game and blowing countless opportunities to put them away.

And that was against a solid Michigan squad that can score and the first offense Iowa has played like that all season. Oh and did I mention how Iowa can't ever f***ing beat Michigan...Michigan has won like 6 of there last 7 in Iowa City for pete sake. So ya, I'll take that.

If you need two blocked field goals in a row to beat a 1-AA team, it's lucky. Hell, if you need that to beat ANYBODY, it's luck. And you can't defend a 3 point home win against Arkansas State if you are supposed to be a good team in the Big 10. And of the 6 of the previous 7 Michigan had won at Iowa, Iowa's players only played in one (or none) of those games, so that's not relevant. 6-0 is 6-0, but Iowa is doing a great job taking advantage of a bad Big 10 and a bad out of conference schedule. The only game they've won so far that a person wouldn't expect them to is at Penn State.

The TE Iowa is trying to take from Illinois (I won't attempt to spell his last name) is probably going to end up at Iowa, but I think he would have anyways. Illinois will lose a lot of recruits due to their season, but I don't think their eventual loss of him will have to do with it. He just wants to go to Iowa like a lot of big white guys from the suburbs since Iowa is a lot like where they live. Iowa, both as a school and athletic department, wouldn't survive without kids from Illinois to keep them afloat. :lol:

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I've also long felt that Iowa and Wiscy are very similar teams and programs.

It makes sense because Barry Alvarez was an assistant to Fry. Bielema played at Iowa and was an assistant coach there. (He has a tatoo of a Tiger Hawk on his ankle.)

And I hope that TE strongly considers Wisconsin. Wisconsin has produced some pretty solid TE's and uses them a lot in the passing game.

While I understand why you would think there would be decommits from Illinois...the Zooker is a hell of a recruiter...not so much a coach. He's still a closer.

And he is making it hard for me to defend him anymore. I wonder how loyal Guenther is going to be?