Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 07:47 AM)
I think this will wind up working out terrible for Kiffin, because he's going to face like a 5 year+ postseason ban to clean up for Carroll's dirty work.

I doubt USC will get anything worse than a slap on the wrist. If anything, they will probably have the amount of scholarships they can give out reduced for about 3-5 years.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
I doubt USC will get anything worse than a slap on the wrist. If anything, they will probably have the amount of scholarships they can give out reduced for about 3-5 years.

I agree.

The NCAA protects their moneymakers in football. Reduced scholarships,maybe a forfeit of a conference title and maybe 1 season with a bowl.

Miami was doing way worse under Erickson and only missed 1 bowl game. Got killed on the reduced scholarships though and I doubt USC will come close to losing the amount Miami did. Probably like 15 scholarships in 3-4 years for USC.

Derek Dooley.

After all the big names thrown out there, I'm disappointed. But whatever, it was a really bad time to be looking for a new coach. At least we know he can recruit (LSU Recruiting Coordinator under Saban) and is from the South. He's been called "Nick Saban Jr." Hopefully that's in regards to the coach, not the personality.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
Derek Dooley.

After all the big names thrown out there, I'm disappointed. But whatever, it was a really bad time to be looking for a new coach. At least we know he can recruit (LSU Recruiting Coordinator under Saban) and is from the South. He's been called "Nick Saban Jr." Hopefully that's in regards to the coach, not the personality.

Apparently Smith was again not interested.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
Tennessee is a great college football job.

Florida

Texas

USC

Ohio St

Alabama

LSU

Oklahoma

Tennessee

Michigan

Florida St

Miami

Penn State

In no direct order, are all prime football jobs.

ND needs to be on that list.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
There's too much drama though, for them to be "elite" for coaches.

Recent polls when the job was available would not agree with you. I heard Cowherd talking about a coaches poll and it was still regarded by head coaches as the top job in college football.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
Recent polls when the job was available would not agree with you. I heard Cowherd talking about a coaches poll and it was still regarded by head coaches as the top job in college football.

Then why does everyone turn it down? ND has had to bring in their 4th or 5th choice both of the last two times the spot opened up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
Then why does everyone turn it down? ND has had to bring in their 4th or 5th choice both of the last two times the spot opened up.

Was that really the case this past year? I don't think so. There is a lot of pressure associated with the job and that some guys just aren't ready. Two times ago Meyer was the main guy and he wasn't ready for ND. Weis was considered a hot commodity and a real good hire at the time they got him.

This time around they really didn't miss on any big name guys before ultimately landing Kelly who was the up and coming coach in college football. I don't see how we missed big-time. Sure they through feelers out to a lot of people but I didn't see many guys turning down the job with the exception of real big name guys that are already heavily rooted in there areas (ie, Stoops/Ferentz).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)

Timing, and PR. It seems like they always botch the handling of the hire. The press is announcing the hiring of the coach when the coach is merely interviewing(Stoops).

And really, how could they compete with what Florida had to offer Meyer at this point? The money wasnt enough to make him come, all of the kids at Florida are Urban Meyers, all he does is win. Why would he leave that situation to jump into the frying pan?

Its getting good now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4828405

Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, in a lawsuit filed against the school last week, alleges that wide receiver Adam James stormed out of the athletic offices yelling an expletive and slammed the outer door to the coaches' office so hard that it split and came off its hinges, causing approximately $1,100 in damage.

The alleged confrontation with the coaches took place after Leach and assistant coach Lincoln Riley had informed James that he was being demoted to third string.

The lawsuit, filed on Jan. 8, also details conversations and messages Leach alleges ESPN college football analyst (and Adam James' father) Craig James had or left with Texas Tech coaches about his son.

Leach was fired Dec. 30, just days before Texas Tech played in the Valero Alamo Bowl, after the family of Adam James said Leach mistreated the player after he suffered a concussion, including placing him in a dark room by himself during practice. Leach had been suspended by the university the week prior to the game.

Among the details alleged in the lawsuit:

• In September, Craig James called assistant coach Tommy McVay "to tell him, in effect, that you coaches are crazy and you're screwing my kid."

James

James

• The same day that he made the call to McVay, Craig James left a message for Riley "stating, in effect, 'You don't know what you're doing. Adam James is the best player at the wide receiver position. ... If you've got the [blank] to call me back, and I don't think you do, call me back.' "

• During practices before the Valero Alamo Bowl, Adam James "told Coach [bennie] Wylie that Wylie didn't know what he was doing and James' effort was just fine."

• Adam James "voluntarily placed himself into the electrical closet and apparently took pictures with his phone camera."

• Texas Tech president Guy Bailey advised Leach that he thought school chancellor Kent Hance was going to try to "railroad" Leach, because of a business relationship between James and Hance.

In a statement released by the school Friday, Hance said: "Mike Leach's latest petition contains a number of false statements. I want to make something clear. I do not have and never have had a business relationship with Craig James."

Bailey said in a news release that "statements attributed to me are patently false. It appears to me this latest filing is nothing more than a desperate attempt to deflect the focus from Mike Leach's irresponsible treatment of an injured student athlete and Leach's insubordination."

A statement recently released by the James family on Thursday read: "Since the James family is not a party to the lawsuit, we deem it inappropriate to discuss it."

Craig James, who was in Austin on Thursday for a speaking engagement, declined to comment on allegations by Leach that he lobbied for more playing time for his son.

"That's a matter that Texas Tech and the coach are dealing with right now and it would be inappropriate for me to say anything about it," said James, who said he believes his son is handling the situation well.

"Adam has been able to endure this because of the love of his teammates," Craig James said. "His teammates know who Adam is, they've seen him practice for three years and they love him. That's the comfort we have as a a family ... he loves Texas Tech."

Court documents filed in the lawsuit -- which amended one filed on Dec. 29 seeking a temporary injunction to allow Leach to coach in the bowl game -- said statements from university administrators "were made intentionally" to harm Leach and expose him to financial harm.

"The mere allegation that a head football coach would mistreat a student athlete threatens that coach's reputation and prospects for future employment and exposes him to ridicule and contempt," Leach's attorney, Ted Liggett, said in the court filing.

Texas Tech spokeswoman Sally Post said last week that the school does not comment on pending litigation.

"We're confident that the facts in this matter speak for themselves," she said.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)

Kelly was the only man ND offered the job to.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
I have a feeling Leach is telling the truth about this.

Craig James is going to look real bad when the dust settles.

and is going to lose his job at both ESPN and ABC, along with any other major affiliate. Craig James is going to become a nobody beyond this season, especially when calls get traced to his cell phone at the exact times that Leach said they were.

I still say Leach comes out smelling like roses in this, and he goes on to coach a C-USA or Big East program that needs help. As a semi-Orange fan, I hope he ends up there, because he could run the table in the Big East each and every year.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
I have a feeling Leach is telling the truth about this.

Even if he is, most of this has nothing to do with the reason why he was fired. Its just part of a textbook, blame the "victim" litigation strategy.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 05:13 PM)
Tennessee is a great college football job.

Florida

Texas

USC

Ohio St

Alabama

LSU

Oklahoma

Tennessee

Michigan

Florida St

Miami

Penn State

In no direct order, are all prime football jobs.

Tennessee proved they don't belong on this list by hiring a guy with a losing record at Louisiana Tech. It's a 2nd tier job. It's also hard to be an elite job when you have the 4th highest prestige (at best) in your own conference.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)
and is going to lose his job at both ESPN and ABC, along with any other major affiliate. Craig James is going to become a nobody beyond this season, especially when calls get traced to his cell phone at the exact times that Leach said they were.

I still say Leach comes out smelling like roses in this, and he goes on to coach a C-USA or Big East program that needs help. As a semi-Orange fan, I hope he ends up there, because he could run the table in the Big East each and every year.

Doesn't it say something that UT wound up scrambling for a coach and they had no interest at all in Leach?

Kelly is the first guy since Holtz ... or just about any time, where they (ND) hired a coach with both previous experience head coaching, AND winning experience head coaching.

Weis - no head coaching experience

Willingham - mediocre coaching record

Davie - no head coaching experience

Holtz - Good at Arkansas but not good other places

Faust - none (HS coach)

Devine - similar to Kelly record-wise

Parseghian - Good at Miami (OH) but not good at Northwestern