Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of the buyers in to Nebraska being "back" after the Missouri game, but now they are just back to what they've been the last several years, mediocre. After being blown out at home by Texas Tech, they lose 9-7 at home to an Iowa State team who didn't even have their starting quarterback. I give Iowa State some credit because it's their 5th win (and with games at Texas A&M and vs. Colorado left, they have a great shot to get bowl eligible if not also to 7 wins), but if you can describe a team as literally giving a game away, Nebraska did it today. They had EIGHT turnovers and were -8 in that category, many of which were inside Iowa State's redzone (with some inside the 5). A game that set football back several decades, and God the Big 12 North SUCKS. Amazingly enough, Kansas State also won game #5 today and is one win from bowl eligibility, although their schedule isn't favorable for another win and they may regret their loss to Louisiana-Lafayette big time come bowl season. It's as bad as it's ever been, which is REALLY saying something.

Also, if Guenther is serious is he's going to keep Zook around after Illinois finishes the season 1-11, then he's an even bigger idiot than I thought, which is also really saying something.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
I was one of the buyers in to Nebraska being "back" after the Missouri game, but now they are just back to what they've been the last several years, mediocre. After being blown out at home by Texas Tech, they lose 9-7 at home to an Iowa State team who didn't even have their starting quarterback. I give Iowa State some credit because it's their 5th win (and with games at Texas A&M and vs. Colorado left, they have a great shot to get bowl eligible if not also to 7 wins), but if you can describe a team as literally giving a game away, Nebraska did it today. They had EIGHT turnovers and were -8 in that category, many of which were inside Iowa State's redzone (with some inside the 5). A game that set football back several decades, and God the Big 12 North SUCKS. It's as bad as it's ever been, which is REALLY saying something.

Also, if Guenther is serious is he's going to keep Zook around after Illinois finishes the season 1-11, then he's an even bigger idiot than I thought, which is also really saying something.

I've never seen a team have an 8 turnover differential in a game. Nebraska just got their butts whipped last week, but this was the dictionary definition of giving a game away. But you have to give ISU credit for battling with back-ups at QB/RB and winning in Lincoln.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
I've never seen a team have an 8 turnover differential in a game. Nebraska just got their butts whipped last week, but this was the dictionary definition of giving a game away. But you have to give ISU credit for battling with back-ups at QB/RB and winning in Lincoln.

I give Iowa State some credit for battling, especially considering they have 5 wins and are probably going to end up bowl eligible, which is an incredible job by their new coach with as bad as they have been recently. But at the same time, 90 percent of the reason Iowa State won today was because of mistakes by Nebraska. Like you said, I don't think i've ever never seen an 8 turnover differential in a game, and if I have, it was probably a 50 point blowout.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
Northwestern came back from 28-3 down to beat Indiana 29-28. Bill Lynch coached the game away with some poor clock management. I had a chance to go to that game, oh well. Good win just because they came from way behind.

That was a huge game for both teams, as they were both 4-3 (1-2) coming into it. Indiana has games at Iowa, Wisconsin, at Penn State, and Purdue left. They'll have to win two of them just to become bowl eligible, and that will be a very difficult task. On the other hand, Northwestern is now only one win from being bowl eligible and still have Illinois on the schedule (although their other games are Wisconsin, Penn State, and at Iowa, and 6-6 doesn't automatically get you into a bowl).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
That was a huge game for both teams, as they were both 4-3 (1-2) coming into it. Indiana has games at Iowa, Wisconsin, at Penn State, and Purdue left. They'll have to win two of them just to become bowl eligible, and that will be a very difficult task. On the other hand, Northwestern is now only one win from being bowl eligible and still have Illinois on the schedule (although their other games are Wisconsin, Penn State, and at Iowa, and 6-6 doesn't automatically get you into a bowl).

Exactly, but a lot of numbers based projections have a low number of bowl eligible teams this year so any big conference bowl eligible team is likely to get a bowl. The Big Ten has 7 bowls, maybe 8 if Penn State gets a 2nd BCS bid. I don't see 6 not being enough.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
It's their year so far.

The Hawkeyes only have one more road game left until the Bowl season. At Ohio State. They have had a tough Big Ten schedule this year. At PSU, Wisconsin, MSU and Ohio State and they don't get to play Illinois or Purdue. While it really hasn't been pretty except for the final scores, if they run the table, no one can say they don't deserve where they end up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
The Hawkeyes only have one more road game left until the Bowl season. At Ohio State. They have had a tough Big Ten schedule this year. At PSU, Wisconsin, MSU and Ohio State and they don't get to play Illinois or Purdue. While it really hasn't been pretty except for the final scores, if they run the table, no one can say they don't deserve where they end up.

They are the luckiest college football team I've ever seen outside of 2002 Ohio State, but I agree that they'll end up where they deserve (especially considering they still have to win in Columbus to go perfect). They are still a longshot for the title game though, the odds are still pretty strong that Texas and Florida or Alabama will go undefeated, and that would force the Hawkeyes to settle for Pasadena. I'll be interested to see how they would do in a bowl against a major opponent from the Big 12, SEC, or perhaps against USC though, because regardless of if they go 12-0 or not, that's who they are going to get in their bowl game. You can still consider me a doubter though, they'll have to win at Ohio State to fully convince me. Even with the Buckeyes down a bit this year, they are still the only team Iowa will play this year who has much better talent than them (I guess you could argue Penn State might too, but Iowa always beats them anyways), so if they win that, I promise to finally give them their due. I just can't do it yet because I have a hard time admitting i'm wrong in situations where it's not blatantly obvious such is the case :lol: .

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
They are the luckiest college football team I've ever seen outside of 2002 Ohio State, but I agree that they'll end up where they deserve (especially considering they still have to win in Columbus to go perfect). They are still a longshot for the title game though, the odds are still pretty strong that Texas and Florida or Alabama will go undefeated, and that would force the Hawkeyes to settle for Pasadena. I'll be interested to see how they would do in a bowl against a major opponent from the Big 12, SEC, or perhaps against USC though, because regardless of if they go 12-0 or not, that's who they are going to get in their bowl game. You can still consider me a doubter though, they'll have to win at Ohio State to fully convince me. Even with the Buckeyes down a bit this year, they are still the only team Iowa will play this year who has much better talent than them (I guess you could argue Penn State might too, but Iowa always beats them anyways), so if they win that, I promise to finally give them their due. I just can't do it yet because I have a hard time admitting i'm wrong in situations where it's not blatantly obvious such is the case :lol: .

I don't know where lucky comes into it. Tonight they had a minute and a half and one timeout to get a TD and they got it done. If marching down the field 72 yards is lucky, Texas, Florida, Alabama must be lucky as well. The manhandled PSU at PSU, but had some tough games vs. Northern Iowa and Arkansas State. Wisconsin was a pretty close game, but Iowa dominated the second half. They don't have the talent level as most of the other teams ranked in the top 10, but their talent level goes up considerably when DJK is in the line-up. If they do play in Pasedena, I would be shocked if they embarrassed themselves.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
I don't know where lucky comes into it. Tonight they had a minute and a half and one timeout to get a TD and they got it done. If marching down the field 72 yards is lucky, Texas, Florida, Alabama must be lucky as well. The manhandled PSU at PSU, but had some tough games vs. Northern Iowa and Arkansas State. Wisconsin was a pretty close game, but Iowa dominated the second half. They don't have the talent level as most of the other teams ranked in the top 10, but their talent level goes up considerably when DJK is in the line-up. If they do play in Pasedena, I would be shocked if they embarrassed themselves.

It's not just tonight, they've been losing at some point in every game but two, have played in a close game in every game but one, etc. When two of your wins are because of two consecutive blocked field goals and a touchdown pass as time expires, you are lucky. They shouldn't apologize for it, but it's just the truth. The talent level thing you mentioned is why I still don't buy in though (besides all the close games, ugly games, and lack of offense) because eventually, lack of talent catches up with you. Beating a team with the talent of an Ohio State on the road would sell me though obviously, both on the team and their talent level.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
It's not just tonight, they've been losing at some point in every game but two, have played in a close game in every game but one, etc. When two of your wins are because of two consecutive blocked field goals and a touchdown pass as time expires, you are lucky. They shouldn't apologize for it, but it's just the truth. The talent level thing you mentioned is why I still don't buy in though (besides all the close games, ugly games, and lack of offense) because eventually, lack of talent catches up with you. Beating a team with the talent of an Ohio State on the road would sell me though obviously, both on the team and their talent level.

I have to agree. But they find a way to win and no one can take that away from them. I think Ohio State will win and put an end to the national title discussion.