Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

Btw, Ron Guenther with a quote today that shows why he's one of the biggest idiots in college sports:

"I think it was really unfair to start jumping, at the end of the fifth year, on the guy"

Yeah, after all, by the fifth year, only EVERY PLAYER IN THE PROGRAM was brought in by the current coach. Totally unfair to judge a coach at that point.

Illinois athletics should just avoid all people named Ron. Between Guenther, Zook, and Turner, what a nightmare. Absolutely sickening, I can't imagine what's it's like for those of you who actually go/went there (although I might go to grad school there, so I could end up in that group along with you all someday).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SockMe @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
Illinois continues to disappoint week in a week out, im cheering for Iowa to win the B10 now!

Illinois AD says that Zook's back for 2010!

Maybe they'll let him recruit and then dump him.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)
Absolute bulls*** call in the Iowa game. They called that personal foul on MSU literally minutes after the play was over and it isn't like he launched with head.

It was the right call though. Called late, absolutely, right call, yep. Helmet to helmet gets flagged everytime.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
What a drive my Michigan State. The hook and ladder on 3rd and 18, then the 30 yard touchdown pass. Iowa has over a minute and a half to score a TD.

Ya, I would have died had we lost on that. Michigan State had two different 3rd and 17's and both times they converted them and went onto score. Very rare for Iowa to give up those type of plays, but they ended up doing just enough to win, but I'm ready to hear 101 tell me again just how lucky Iowa is.

Stanzi was a mess most of the game and I was really dissapointed in Iowa's unwillingness to open up the offense cause they have some good WR's, but MSU played really strong defensively and was in Stanzi's face all day. Iowa ran the ball relatively well though and aside from one penalty, Bulaga had one of his better games.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)
The Hawkeyes only have one more road game left until the Bowl season. At Ohio State. They have had a tough Big Ten schedule this year. At PSU, Wisconsin, MSU and Ohio State and they don't get to play Illinois or Purdue. While it really hasn't been pretty except for the final scores, if they run the table, no one can say they don't deserve where they end up.

They became only the 2nd team in Big Ten history to win @ Wisconsin, @ Michigan State, and @ Penn State. Michigan did it in 1997 or so when they won the co-national championship.

Iowa now has to watch out about not being ready and getting too focused on the Ohio State game cause that is still a long ways away, but man will I be excited if we go to Ohio State still undefeated. If they somehow make it the whole way, I think they'll get into the championship game, but we shall see. I still have my doubts, either way, there defense is f***ing legit.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 07:43 PM)
They are the luckiest college football team I've ever seen outside of 2002 Ohio State, but I agree that they'll end up where they deserve (especially considering they still have to win in Columbus to go perfect). They are still a longshot for the title game though, the odds are still pretty strong that Texas and Florida or Alabama will go undefeated, and that would force the Hawkeyes to settle for Pasadena. I'll be interested to see how they would do in a bowl against a major opponent from the Big 12, SEC, or perhaps against USC though, because regardless of if they go 12-0 or not, that's who they are going to get in their bowl game. You can still consider me a doubter though, they'll have to win at Ohio State to fully convince me. Even with the Buckeyes down a bit this year, they are still the only team Iowa will play this year who has much better talent than them (I guess you could argue Penn State might too, but Iowa always beats them anyways), so if they win that, I promise to finally give them their due. I just can't do it yet because I have a hard time admitting i'm wrong in situations where it's not blatantly obvious such is the case :lol: .

I don't know, the computer polls all really like Iowa and if they continue to win they'll move up in the human polls which actually should jump them over Texas (if both go undefeated). Especially with teams like Arizona making Iowa look better. That game @ Ohio State is gonna be tough, but I'm not even on that, I worry about each week cause its the big ten and anyone can win on any given day.

And shut-up about the luckiest part. They were winning the game and fell behind on a great Michigan State play. Had Iowa pulled that play off, you'd have been blabbing about how they are the luckiest team ever.

All I can say is wins against Arizona, @ Wiscy, @ Michigan State, @ Penn State, Vs Michigan are all pretty damn legit wins.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)
Illinois continues to disappoint week in a week out, im cheering for Iowa to win the B10 now!

thats disgusting. i'll root for the big 10, but never ever will I root for the Idiots Out Walking Around

read at your own discretion Illini fans, makes me even happier b-ball starts soon...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...zook/index.html

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)
It's not just tonight, they've been losing at some point in every game but two, have played in a close game in every game but one, etc. When two of your wins are because of two consecutive blocked field goals and a touchdown pass as time expires, you are lucky. They shouldn't apologize for it, but it's just the truth. The talent level thing you mentioned is why I still don't buy in though (besides all the close games, ugly games, and lack of offense) because eventually, lack of talent catches up with you. Beating a team with the talent of an Ohio State on the road would sell me though obviously, both on the team and their talent level.

Shutup dumbass. They had to drive 72 yards for the win because of a fluke play that the Spartans pulled on Iowa. So no, that isn't lucky, thats good and doing what you need to. The Northern Iowa game was a beatdown the 2nd half. Iowa completed dominanted and left tons of points on the board. It happens and those weren't chip-shot field goals and they wouldn't have needed 2 blocks had they been smart and fallen on the ball after the 1st block like they could have.

Figure it out.

I don't see you blabbing about Bama being lucky cause they needed the luck of the missed field goal this week to beat Tenn or Florida being lucky for the calls and breaks they've gotten (see Arkansas game). Bottom line you need to play well and have things go your way a bit to be undefeated at this point of the season in college football.

And you blab about the Arkansas State game...did you watch it, Iowa was up 2 TD's most of the game and Arkansas State scored a late TD with like no time left to make the score closer...but never was the game in jeaporday. Iowa also dominated the Wisconsin game in the 2nd half, Penn State game in the 2nd half, was up on Michigan most of the game (albeit they almost blew it). Hell, outside of the first week of the season, by the time you were into the middle of the 3rd Iowa had the lead in pretty much every game.

Oh and Iowa also drubbed a ranked ARizona team.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
Shutup dumbass. They had to drive 72 yards for the win because of a fluke play that the Spartans pulled on Iowa. So no, that isn't lucky, thats good and doing what you need to. The Northern Iowa game was a beatdown the 2nd half. Iowa completed dominanted and left tons of points on the board. It happens and those weren't chip-shot field goals and they wouldn't have needed 2 blocks had they been smart and fallen on the ball after the 1st block like they could have.

Figure it out.

I don't see you blabbing about Bama being lucky cause they needed the luck of the missed field goal this week to beat Tenn or Florida being lucky for the calls and breaks they've gotten (see Arkansas game). Bottom line you need to play well and have things go your way a bit to be undefeated at this point of the season in college football.

And you blab about the Arkansas State game...did you watch it, Iowa was up 2 TD's most of the game and Arkansas State scored a late TD with like no time left to make the score closer...but never was the game in jeaporday. Iowa also dominated the Wisconsin game in the 2nd half, Penn State game in the 2nd half, was up on Michigan most of the game (albeit they almost blew it). Hell, outside of the first week of the season, by the time you were into the middle of the 3rd Iowa had the lead in pretty much every game.

Not to mention they have been playing without their #1 running back all season, and lost their All American tackle for a few games. They are solid, and probably have the best coach in the country.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
It was the right call though. Called late, absolutely, right call, yep. Helmet to helmet gets flagged everytime.

Just because your helmet makes contact with the helmet of an offensive player doesn't mean there should be a penalty. He didn't launch and really didn't lead more with his helmet than any other tackle.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
Not to mention they have been playing without their #1 running back all season, and lost their All American tackle for a few games. They are solid, and probably have the best coach in the country.

LOL. He isnt even the best coach in the conference.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 01:19 PM)
LOL. He isnt even the best coach in the conference.

Who's better? Here's how Rivals rates them. Ferentz has NFL teams all over him every winter.

1. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa

The true measure of a man is how he responds to adversity. Ferentz has passed the test, pulling the Hawkeyes from a three-year slump to a 9-4 mark in 2008. Even better, Ferentz appears to have Iowa poised for another glorious run after leading the school to two Big Ten crowns from 2002-04. And Ferentz has done all of this with less-than-blue-chip talent.

2. Rich Rodriguez, Michigan

Think round peg in a square hole. That's the best way to describe Rich Rod's dubious and dreadful debut. We all know he's better than that. Witness the national power he built at West Virginia, where he went 60-26 with four Big East titles. It was painfully obvious the offensive personnel Rodriguez inherited in Ann Arbor were ill-suited to run his spread-option offense. That slowly will change as he fills the roster with his players. Then, look out.

3. Jim Tressel, Ohio State

Let's go ahead and bronze his sweater vest. He has won five Big Ten crowns and the 2002 BCS championship, and he played for two other BCS titles. And he hasn't even been on the job for 10 seasons, posting an 83-19 record. Not bad for a former Football Championship Subdivision (i.e., Division I-AA) coach.

4. Joe Paterno, Penn State

His recent success seemingly renders moot any notion JoePa should retire. He obviously still has it, coming off his second Big Ten title in four seasons. In fact, JoePa appears energized and healthy, primed to pad his lead as the all-time leader in Football Bowl Subdivision (i.e., Division I-A) victories (383).

5. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State

This all must seem so delicious for Dantonio. He followed a 7-6 debut with a sterling 9-4 record that had Sparty in Big Ten title contention late in the season. Dantonio's secret to success is simple: smart, tough, disciplined football built around defense. As long as he's in East Lansing, Michigan State will be an upper-division Big Ten challenger. And a conference title drought that stretches to 1990 figures to end soon.

6. Ron Zook, Illinois

He answered the critics who say he can't coach by leading the Fighting Illini to the Rose Bowl after the 2007 season. Zook is an unmatched recruiter who has built a strong staff, leading to a renaissance in facilities and attitudes in Champaign. Energy, enthusiasm and an ability to connect with players fuel Zook's success.

7. Bret Bielema, Wisconsin

There are rumblings about how Wisconsin's record has gotten worse each season under Bielema: 12-1 to 9-4 to 7-6. Give the intense Bielema credit in that he has altered his offseason approach, looking to connect better with the players and enhance their development. More than anything, Bielema would be helped by the emergence of a quarterback in what shapes up a critical season in his career. Don't bet against the smart, hard-working Bielema getting the Badgers back on track.

8. Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern

Cut him, and "Fitz" bleeds purple. And Fitzgerald's coaching ability quickly is catching up to his energy and enthusiasm for his alma mater. At age 34, the best is still yet to come for Fitzgerald. Each season in Evanston, Fitzgerald has improved the Wildcats' record, from 4-8 to 6-6 to last season's 9-4. The key question: Can Northwestern keep Fitzgerald?

9. Danny Hope, Purdue

No one will outhustle Hope, who is one of the most positive and enthusiastic people you'll meet. Those traits help make him one of America's most underrated recruiters. Hope was 35-22 in six seasons as coach at Eastern Kentucky. Watch his star rise.

10. Tim Brewster, Minnesota

Brewster has been a 1,000-watt charge of energy into a program that was growing stale. And from all indications, Brewster's recruiting hustle has improved the talent base. His cause is further buoyed by the christening of a new stadium. Brewster's Gophers teams have featured strong offenses. But it will be his ability to craft a decent defense that will determine his fortunes in the Twin Cities.

11. Bill Lynch, Indiana

He has one of the most extensive r?m?in the Big Ten, having also been head coach at Ball State and DePauw. The problem? Lynch hasn't had much success, save for an 8-2 mark in 2004 at DePauw. Lynch went 37-53 at Ball State (1995-2002) and is 10-15 in two seasons in Bloomington. He failed to build on the momentum of a bowl trip following the 2007 season, going 3-9 last season. And things could be tough this fall, too.

I really think if you put any of the other guys in Iowa City instead of where they are at, the Hawkeyes don't win anywhere near as many games as they do. I also think Zook is way too high on this list and Fitzgerald way too low.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'm still depressed from last night. We outplayed Alabama in every way except f***ing Field Goals. Not even ST's in general. We had good coverage on returns, and had decent returns ourselves. But those 3 missed FG's are gonna haunt me the rest of my life. I'll never forget this game. Tennessee was a better team last night.

On a positive note, anyone else think Monte Kiffin won't be able to adjust to the college game? Our D has given up 15 points (5 FGs) in the last 2 games against Georgia and Alabama. That's stellar.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)

Figure it out.

It takes a special kind of pathetic loser to consistently name call on a message board. Congrats on being that pathetic loser (and that's not a personal attack, because it's a fact that you fit that description if you attack somebody on a message board just because you run it). And btw, your football team is still a lucky, 9-3 or 8-4 type team taking advantage of a mediocre conference, no matter how many times you try and bully me and call me names on a message board (classy). The reason I don't pick on Alabama? They play in a real football conference. If Iowa played in the SEC and won at the last second every week, I'd leave them alone since they'd be playing the SEC. But they aren't, so I won't. I hope you enjoy the ass kicking and reality check in Columbus.

When I get suspended or banned from this board for doing the same thing you do in this post, it will be pretty funny and a definition of your hyprocrisy. I thought this place was better than WSI, I was clearly mistaken.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 11:51 PM)
It takes a special kind of pathetic loser to consistently name call on a message board. Congrats on being that pathetic loser (and that's not a personal attack, because it's a fact that you fit that description if you attack somebody on a message board just because you run it). And btw, your football team is still a lucky, 9-3 or 8-4 type team taking advantage of a mediocre conference, no matter how many times you try and bully me and call me names on a message board (classy). The reason I don't pick on Alabama? They play in a real football conference. If Iowa played in the SEC and won at the last second every week, I'd leave them alone since they'd be playing the SEC. But they aren't, so I won't. I hope you enjoy the ass kicking and reality check in Columbus.

When I get suspended or banned from this board for doing the same thing you do in this post, it will be pretty funny and a definition of your hyprocrisy. I thought this place was better than WSI, I was clearly mistaken.

Coming from an Illinois fan that HATES Iowa, I think you're wrong here. As someone else said, luck plays a part in nearly every "championship" season. So far Iowa was done what Iowa needs to do, and that's win. I don't think anyone is arguing that they're perfect (watching Stanzi would give me a heart attack), but that defense is sick, they can run the ball on anyone, and they have one of the better coaches in the conference who (gasp!) actually prepares his team to win (unlike the retard leading my favorite team).

And I think that list of Big Ten coaches is ridiculous (and was clearly done before the start of this season). Rich Rod has done nothing to deserve that ranking except to flip the winningest program in football around to make it a spread offense which is going to die out in about 5 years. Tressel is easily the most overrated (top 5 recruiting class every year and not much to show for it). Paterno doesn't coach so much as worry about pissing himself on the sideline. I think considering the school and the talent level, Ferentz should be in the discussion for the top in the leauge. And Zook is clearly at the bottom, not in the middle.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
Who's better? Here's how Rivals rates them. Ferentz has NFL teams all over him every winter.

I really think if you put any of the other guys in Iowa City instead of where they are at, the Hawkeyes don't win anywhere near as many games as they do. I also think Zook is way too high on this list and Fitzgerald way too low.

Honestly Dick, I expected more from you being a poster I generally really respect. Posting a pretty laughable list from rivals.com isnt really up to your standards.

As far as the "talent" debate. A good coach makes his school a destination for talent. Being a college football head coach isnt 100% about the x's and O's, that would be a debate about coordinators. I agree Ferentz is a great coach, and I think he does alot with his school. But recruiting and developing talent is part of what he does as well, so you cant use that as something to discount someone like Tressel and Joe Pa just because they bring in better talent.

If you look at straight results over the last 10 years or so in the Big Ten (because Joe Pa has been around for 80) you would have some problems finding a coach more dominant than Jim Tressel. If you think that he hides behind the OSU flag and that anyone with those facilities can win as many games as he does, take a look at what he did at YSU while he was there. There is only one other active coach in the country with more National Titles than Tressel. He was also a 4-time national coach of the year when at YSU.

218 career wins; nine national title game appearances; five Big Ten titles; eight bowl appearances; and national championships in 1991, 1993, 1994, 1997 and 2002. Or 21 first team All-Americans at Ohio State; Heisman, Lombardi, O’Brien, Butkus, Lott, Nagurski, Groza, Rimington, Walter Camp, Ray Guy, Wuerffel and Draddy award winners; 47 first team all-Big Ten selections. Add a .814 winning percentage with the Buckeyes; 120 players earning Ohio State degrees during his tenure; and the most academic all-Big Ten selections in the conference each of his years as coach.

In case you were wondering only 18 other D-1 coaches have reached 200 wins in their careers. Pretty good company there. In D-1a he was only the second coach to make 4 consecutive appearences in the title game. obviously NOT dependant on how great his facilities were.

I know alot of people hate OSU and thats fine, but if you sit down and look at the accomplishments of a coach that I criticize on a weekly basis, you would clearly see that currently he is the class of the conference and is in the top tier of coaches in the country. Ferentz is a good coach, and does ALOT with his team on the field, but you would be hard pressed to consider a man with a 73-53 record at his school as the best coach in the country, regardless of the sentiments on this board that Iowa is now better than the 72 dolphins.

And that NFL stuff makes no difference. Every top College coach from Carroll on down are pinged for NFL jobs every offseason.

And for the record, for all the stuff we say about Joe Pa and his age, the man has adapted to college football for DECADES and still is out recruiting, out coaching and out developing most of the coaching staffs around the country. He ABSOLUTELY should be part of the discussion.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)

Well first off, I'll let you continue to live in your delusional make believe world where from one week to another someone is the worse football team in the world and complete hopeless, etc, etc, etc. Secondly, the SEC is an over-rated football conference and last I looked Iowa beat an SEC team last year in there bowl game and has beaten other SEC teams in this decade in bowl games (including LSU).

Am I saying the SEC is worse than the Big 10, nope, but the SEC isn't the best conference in the land this year. The Pac 10 could easily play with the SEC.

Iowa's also went to to toe with the Longhorns and other well respected programs under Ferentz.

And you'll get suspended/banned because you have a long history of doing the above to countless posters over the years. I on the other hand, have no history of that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)
Honestly Dick, I expected more from you being a poster I generally really respect. Posting a pretty laughable list from rivals.com isnt really up to your standards.

As far as the "talent" debate. A good coach makes his school a destination for talent. Being a college football head coach isnt 100% about the x's and O's, that would be a debate about coordinators. I agree Ferentz is a great coach, and I think he does alot with his school. But recruiting and developing talent is part of what he does as well, so you cant use that as something to discount someone like Tressel and Joe Pa just because they bring in better talent.

If you look at straight results over the last 10 years or so in the Big Ten (because Joe Pa has been around for 80) you would have some problems finding a coach more dominant than Jim Tressel. If you think that he hides behind the OSU flag and that anyone with those facilities can win as many games as he does, take a look at what he did at YSU while he was there. There is only one other active coach in the country with more National Titles than Tressel. He was also a 4-time national coach of the year when at YSU.

In case you were wondering only 18 other D-1 coaches have reached 200 wins in their careers. Pretty good company there. In D-1a he was only the second coach to make 4 consecutive appearences in the title game. obviously NOT dependant on how great his facilities were.

I know alot of people hate OSU and thats fine, but if you sit down and look at the accomplishments of a coach that I criticize on a weekly basis, you would clearly see that currently he is the class of the conference and is in the top tier of coaches in the country. Ferentz is a good coach, and does ALOT with his team on the field, but you would be hard pressed to consider a man with a 73-53 record at his school as the best coach in the country, regardless of the sentiments on this board that Iowa is now better than the 72 dolphins.

And that NFL stuff makes no difference. Every top College coach from Carroll on down are pinged for NFL jobs every offseason.

And for the record, for all the stuff we say about Joe Pa and his age, the man has adapted to college football for DECADES and still is out recruiting, out coaching and out developing most of the coaching staffs around the country. He ABSOLUTELY should be part of the discussion.

The debate for best coach in the big ten currently starts at ends between Jim Tressel and Kirk Ferentz. I think Rock has a point about recruiting being a part of the game, but you have to give some sort of factor to the fact that Iowa will never out-recruit Ohio State or USC.

I'd love to say we would, but the reality is Ferentz does more with less than any coach in the country. Does that make him the best X's and O's guy in the country, not sure, but I think it puts him in the discussion as one of the best coaches at developing players and getting results on the field.

Either way I think Ferentz has proven himself as an elite college coach, Iowa doesn't have an elite program, but the coach certainly is.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
The debate for best coach in the big ten currently starts at ends between Jim Tressel and Kirk Ferentz. I think Rock has a point about recruiting being a part of the game, but you have to give some sort of factor to the fact that Iowa will never out-recruit Ohio State or USC.

I'd love to say we would, but the reality is Ferentz does more with less than any coach in the country. Does that make him the best X's and O's guy in the country, not sure, but I think it puts him in the discussion as one of the best coaches at developing players and getting results on the field.

Either way I think Ferentz has proven himself as an elite college coach, Iowa doesn't have an elite program, but the coach certainly is.

Agreed. If you're talking about the "best" coaches you have to give them a handicap given the recruiting game. He gets better results relevant to his program's tradition and the talent he is able to bring in (and even to some extent relative to the program's actual realistic goals. I think Iowa fans would be happy contending for New Years Day bowls on a yearly basis, not just national championships).

And that's why college football sucks and why college basketball is infinitely better. You have the "traditional" powerhouses, who inherently have recruiting advantages. But at least in basketball you can be a #50-100 ranked team, get one or two good recruits (or 4-5 average recruits), and become a top 25 team competing for a legit shot at a final four or even NC. The system isn't designed purely for money in which 8 of the top 10 programs are always in the same games (except for a fluke year here and there). Even in the last few years when there were crazy upsets, at the end of the day you still had traditional power house programs playing in the BCS bowls (save a Boise State or Utah).