Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
s***, ISU-OK St is under consideration for the ABC primetime game next Saturday. It's between them, OK-Nebraska and Kansas-Kansas State. When Oklahoma beats K-State, and if ISU beats Texas A&M and Oklahoma State beats Texas, it'd be a matchup of the two division leaders.....

A man can dream.

Seriously though, check this out. Who wins the north?

1. Kansas State 3-1

- @ OU, vs. KU, vs. Miz, @ Neb

2. Iowa State 2-2

- @ aTm, vs. OK St, vs. Colorado, @ Miz

3. Nebraska 1-2

- @ Bay, vs. OU, @ KU, vs. KSU, @ Colorado

4. Kansas 1-2

- @ TTU, vs. KSU, vs. Neb, @ Tex, vs. Miz

5. Colorado 1-2

- vs. Miz, vs. aTm, @ ISU, @ OkSt, vs. Neb

6. Mizzou 0-3

- @ CU, vs. Bay, @ KSU, vs. ISU, vs. KU

Mizzou might very well win the North, despite being winless and in last right now.

I said 5-3 was going to win it for someone. Long term, I think it's more important for Nebraska to continue to struggle because they are the only program of the 6 capable of being strong every year. Kansas is probably going to have a dropoff after Reesing and co. leave and even this year they've already lost @ Colorado. Mizzou can still have a strong year in a rebuilding year, but I don't know how realistic it is to think they can pump out 8+ win seasons every year.

Like you said, it's up in the air. The first place team (K State) could easily lose out and the last place team (Mizzou) could win out.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say though, nothing wrong with playing in the big ten, plenty of guys have went on to have great futures in the NFL and that includes pretty much every position.

Actually for all the comments against the Big 10, Big 10 players have pretty good success in the NFL. I believe its because they run pro style offenses and play in all weather conditions.

Big 10 even produces a good amount of QB's for the NFL. Wisconsin has at least 2 back ups and they were barely even fringe Big 10 players.

My comment was meant to say that the Big 10 produces a lot of NFL talent, so they must be doing something right.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
Actually for all the comments against the Big 10, Big 10 players have pretty good success in the NFL. I believe its because they run pro style offenses and play in all weather conditions.

Big 10 even produces a good amount of QB's for the NFL. Wisconsin has at least 2 back ups and they were barely even fringe Big 10 players.

My comment was meant to say that the Big 10 produces a lot of NFL talent, so they must be doing something right.

Over the last six years, an average of 35.2 Big Ten student-athletes has been chosen in the NFL Draft on an annual basis, including an average of 5.7 first-round selections per year. The Big Ten and the SEC are the only two conferences to boast an average of at least 35 players and 5.7 first-rounders since 2003. At least 40 Big Ten players have been drafted on two occasions, including a high of 44 selections in 2004, a total that ranks second over the last six drafts to the ACC's 51 players chosen in 2006.

Among Big Ten teams, Ohio State ranks first nationally with 42 players chosen by NFL teams over the past six years, followed by Southern California (40), Miami (Fla.) (39) and Florida State (36). Fourteen Buckeyes were drafted in 2004, the highest single-season total for any school over the six-year span.

The Big Ten and SEC top all conferences with six different institutions boasting at least 21 NFL selections over the last six years, followed by the ACC (3), Big 12 (3) and Pac-10 (2). Other Big Ten programs to produce 21 or more NFL draft picks since 2003 include Michigan (29), Wisconsin (24), Iowa (23), Penn State (23) and Purdue (21). In addition, seven of the Big Ten's 11 schools have featured at least one NFL Draft selection in each of the last six years, a total tied for the national lead with the ACC and Pac-10.

Last year, Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long became the 13th Big Ten student-athlete to be selected first overall while Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston was chosen sixth. Overall, 28 players were selected in 2008, including four first-round draftees from four different institutions. Ten conference schools featured at least one selection during the seven rounds.

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/news/article....TORY_ID=3225114

Dang it, Iowa loses a starting olineman for quite possibly the season (hoping to get him back in time for the bowl game) and it looks like they've lost there starting running back Robinson for at least this week, but depending on the MRI they'll be lucky to have him back for the OSU game.

Wegner (Iowa's back-up/co-starter) is already banged up so Iowa is going to be in a lot of trouble if Robinson's injury is very serious.

The injuries to the oline have forced them to pull the red-shirt on one of there freshmen in last weeks game and they are said to be considering pulling the red-shirt on one of there freshman backs.

Oh and we already lost our stud Jewel Hampton (our original starting RB) for the season.

Its official. Iowa lost its co-starting RB, Adam Robinson (True Freshman) for the season. That leaves them with Wegher (True Freshman and the other Co-Starter), Paki (not that good), and Rogers (True-Fresh that was being redshirted).

I have to believe they are going to be forced to pull the red-shirt on Rogers and hope they can get to the Ohio State game un-beaten and hope that Wegher stays healthy and that Rogers can prove to be solid as well.

This is a huge huge loss for the Hawkeyes who already suffered a massive loss at the start of the season when there stud Hampton was lost for the year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Its official. Iowa lost its co-starting RB, Adam Robinson (True Freshman) for the season. That leaves them with Wegher (True Freshman and the other Co-Starter), Paki (not that good), and Rogers (True-Fresh that was being redshirted).

I have to believe they are going to be forced to pull the red-shirt on Rogers and hope they can get to the Ohio State game un-beaten and hope that Wegher stays healthy and that Rogers can prove to be solid as well.

This is a huge huge loss for the Hawkeyes who already suffered a massive loss at the start of the season when there stud Hampton was lost for the year.

What made Hampton a stud again? You keep saying he was their stud RB, but I wasnt positive where that came from. He didnt do all that much last year because Greene was the man, and he wasnt highly recruited either. I am just wondering, not baiting.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
What made Hampton a stud again? You keep saying he was their stud RB, but I wasnt positive where that came from. He didnt do all that much last year because Greene was the man, and he wasnt highly recruited either. I am just wondering, not baiting.

He looked really, really good in flashes last season and all of the experts were talking about Iowa not skipping much of a beat with him being the starter this year. I was surprised by it since he was a mere 3 star recruit, but he's very explosive and seemed to be one of those guys that people thought wasn't going to be able to dominate at the next level but was still solid.

I think almost every big 10 pre-season prediction I read, was raving about Jewel.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
Don't remind me. That was our most embarrassing loss of the season. We play Florida to within 10 (2 missed TDs in that game could have been a huge difference for us, but oh well...) and should have beat Bama (thanks to 3 missed FGs), but we lose to UCLA when they stop us 3 straight times from the 3 yards line and in. 3 runs up the middle was bad by Kiffin though, especially when we had 2 new o-lineman that game, both of which were former walk-ons. He said so and has learned from it.

I must say, however, our coaching staff sure has these guys ready to play. The previous staff left the cupboard fairly bare (especially for Tenn standards), particularly on both lines. We have 2 former walk-ons starting at Guard and Center (they're actually identical twins). And our d-line has 2 true freshman getting lots of playing time at DT, which is extremely rare in college football, but those guys are holding there own. We had a lot of attrition when Lane took over, but I love it. He said "if you can't handle it, get the heck out." So far we've had no arrests or anything law related from any player in the almost 11 months he's been here. That's pretty impressive.

I have really enjoyed Lane's play-calling on offense improve as the year has gone on. You can see him learning still as a coach, which is good since he's so young. The staff he has surrounded him with is really going to pay off for him as a coach as well as being in a conference like the SEC.

Makes me very excited for the future. I can't wait to see what this staff can do once they get their own players in the program.

Next year might actually be worse, though, for Tennessee b/c we do lose a lot of seniors on the O-line. We might have to start a freshman and a JUCO next year on the line. That's how barren the cupboard is. And we might have a true frosh at QB, which is never a good recipe for success (unless you have Peyton Manning as a freshman and he was only 8-4, haha). I never thought I'd say this, but I'm going to miss Crompton. It may have taken him 4 years, but he's finally showing why he was a Top 5 QB out of high school. He's always had the tools, but not the mental side of things. I think Lane has really helped him in regards to that this year, sticking with him even after a rough UCLA game and 1st half of the Auburn game. Not having to worry about getting pulled after every series can do wonders for a QB apparently. And the D should be great again next year, though it will definitely hurt losing Berry (no way he stays his Senior year).

If only your coach wasn't such a whiney tool!

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
If only your coach wasn't such a whiney tool!

I was waiting for you to chip in on this thread, Rex.

But really, that's all you have to say? Good one. That sounds like someone who's scared of UT. We outcoached and outplayed you with inferior talent. Imagine what will happen in 2-3 years.

Oh, and your coach is Nick Saban... Wanna talk about tools?

Edited by dasox24

I must say, Bama didn't impress me much at all.

Yeah yeah, they beat us, blah blah blah, but you get one gift TD on a pick 6, and only manage one other TD late in the 4th quarter? McElroy isn't going to take that team to a National Championship.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
Random Question: Who is Better

Iowa or TCU?

TCU has impressed the hell out of me. They haven't played the schedule Iowa has though and I'm a homer so I'll give them the nod, but I won't lie, TCU looks real good and that romping of BYU was impressive.

Rex lives in Bama, but is not a Bama fan. I'm a Big Ten guy, but I do like watching SEC football. I have no reason to be scared of Tennessee. Lane Kiffin is simply an idiot who should learn to keep his mouth shut. He sounds like a freakin baby everytime he opens it.

First he accuses Urban Meyer of cheating publicly, only to be found out it was he that didn't know the rules. Then he is guilty of minor recruiting violations.

He pissed off the whole town of Pahokee, FL and had to apologize so his coaches would be allowed back into town (or into the HS, at least). There hae been other idiotic comments, but I'll fastforward to Sunday....

On Sunday, Kiffin questioned why officials failed to penalize Alabama's Terrence Cody for unsportsmanlike conduct when the defensive lineman removed and threw his helmet after blocking a field goal on the last play of Alabama's 12-10 victory in Tuscaloosa.

Ummm, because the game was over and it wouldn't have mattered? Even if they throw a flag, it is still Alabama's ball, with no time on the clock. Some people should think before they open their mouth.

He also said he decided to let the clock run down instead of trying to run another play before the kick because he was concerned about the officiating.

"You run another play and you throw an interception or they throw another flag on us -- I wasn't going to let the refs lose the game for us there and some magical flag appear," Kiffin said Sunday.

How stupid a comment is this? How bad of a coach is he if this were actually true? You're going to not run another play because the referree "might" throw a flag on your team for something they did not commit?

The guy is a tool, period.

As far as Bama goes, I do follow them because of proximity and have been to a grand total of 3 games in 12+ years I have lived here, including the S. Carolina game this year. I also follow Auburn, but I am not a fan of either.

That said, Bama's defense is very, very good. Offensively, they are struggling big time right now, but their defense keeps them in games. The running game is strong, but McElroy is really confused and alternately tries to force the ball to Julio Jones or forgets him. Strangely enough, they beat Ole Miss and South Carolina without giving up a TD and didn't give one up to Tennessee until the 4th quarter. I'm not sure they will beat Florida (or even LSU), but if they do, it won't surprise me. Their defense is good enough to keep them in the game against anyone.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
How stupid a comment is this? How bad of a coach is he if this were actually true? You're going to not run another play because the referree "might" throw a flag on your team for something they did not commit?

Judging by the officiating in the SEC this year, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to have a "penalty" against UT. The officials have been horrendous this year and not just the crew that got suspended. For being a great conference, the Slive and the SEC need to do something about the refs. They're bad.

The guy is a tool, period.

Well, I love him as does Vol Nation, and that's all that matters, isn't it? I mean, honestly, Kiffin is a good guy and a hardass. He said those things early on to get the fanbase riled up and the Vols some national publicity. He has since stated he did most of that stuff on purpose. The Pahokee comment was made when he didn't know there were cameras in the room (mistake by a young coach; he's obviously learned from it). How many SEC teams (not Florida or Bama for sure) can say they haven't had at least 1 player on their roster get in trouble with the law since last December? Tennessee can.

Also, if you haven't noticed, Lane is 1 of 4 SEC coaches so far this year that have been reprimanded for calling out the officials for poorly refereed games. When you start to see a trend like that, I don't think it's just Lane being "a tool." If so, Bobby Johnson at Vandy, Dan Mullen, and Bobby Petrino (okay, i'll give you Petrino... he really is a jackass) are all tools then too for calling out SEC refs for a bad job.

For all of you having a contest about what college head coach is the biggest tool, just be happy you didn't have to live through Jim Walden telling you the team is losing because they are wearing do-rags under their helmets. Jim Walden >>>>>>>>>>> ALL on the college football head coach tool scale.