Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 07:31 AM)
Just a small bit of love for the Football Salukis maintaining their #3 ranking. FCS doesnt get a lot of play here, gotta give the egyptian dogs a little shout out

I follow SIU football a bit, though that's only because a guy I played football with (and went to school with) plays there now - John Goode. I'm not positive if he actually starts at fullback, but I know he gets playing time cause he has a few TDs this year. Sucks that the starting QB is out though.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
I follow SIU football a bit, though that's only because a guy I played football with (and went to school with) plays there now - John Goode. I'm not positive if he actually starts at fullback, but I know he gets playing time cause he has a few TDs this year. Sucks that the starting QB is out though.

Pat McIntosh(army transfer) seems to be pretty competent as a backup, he ran roughshod over Youngstown state last week.

Deji Karim is unreal, the guy is a guaranteed 150 yds every game it seems. SIU just has an awesome running back pipeline, Jacobs, Turner, Whitlock, Abdulqaadir, there have been some really good RBs that have come through SIU in the past 10-15 years

So apparently Lil Wayne has a new song that mentions Lane Kiffin.

The lyrics goes "talk s*** like Lane Kiffin..." around the 1:14 mark.

Pretty awesome. You know young high school kids will eat that up.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 07:18 AM)
For all of you having a contest about what college head coach is the biggest tool, just be happy you didn't have to live through Jim Walden telling you the team is losing because they are wearing do-rags under their helmets. Jim Walden >>>>>>>>>>> ALL on the college football head coach tool scale.

John Cooper. "Michigan is just another game."

Idiot

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 11:06 PM)
Anyone know why Notre Dame is playing Washington St. in San Antonio???

The guy who said recruiting help in Texas is correct.

There are a few reasons for it. Even though it is a neutral site game, it is considered a home game for Notre Dame and thus the game will be part of their NBC contract.

Also, they can have recruits in Texas attend the game and it does not count as a campus visit. The plan is to play one game every other year in Texas as a way to appeal to those recruits and let them play a few games over their college careers in front of their home state fans. Future ND games in Texas will be played in the new Jerry Jones Cowboy Dome and in Houston as well.

On the seasons that they don't play in Texas, they plan to play games in Florida at sites in Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa. The reasons are the same as they play in Texas.

Of course, they will also play in Yankee Stadium against Army, I believe next season.

In addition to the recruiting benefits, it is a throwback to the barnstorming days that ND started back in the days of Rockne.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
So apparently Lil Wayne has a new song that mentions Lane Kiffin.

The lyrics goes "talk s*** like Lane Kiffin..." around the 1:14 mark.

Pretty awesome. You know young high school kids will eat that up.

So when the Vols and Buckeyes play each other in a few years, which head coach is still there, Kiffin or Tressel?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
So when the Vols and Buckeyes play each other in a few years, which head coach is still there, Kiffin or Tressel?

Ha, I would like to say Kiffin as I do think he'll be very successful here (will he try the NFL again if he is?), but your guess is as good as mine. What I do know is that both teams will be extremely talented regardless of who's coaching due to the recruiting ability of both of those coaches.

Iowa State should have its starting RB (who is leading the Big 12 in yards per game) back against Texas A&M. That goes a loooooong way towards trying to get bowl eligible...

Arnaud may be back too, despite having fractured his hand two weeks ago.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 09:13 PM)
What teams have the best helmets in the NCAA?

Here are my nominees, in no order:

Texas

USC

Penn State

Ohio State

Florida State

Notre Dame

Miami

Oklahoma

Alabama and Michigan. I like the old school helmets with the numbers on them....and wings.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 11:51 PM)
Judging by the officiating in the SEC this year, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to have a "penalty" against UT. The officials have been horrendous this year and not just the crew that got suspended. For being a great conference, the Slive and the SEC need to do something about the refs. They're bad.

Well, I love him as does Vol Nation, and that's all that matters, isn't it? I mean, honestly, Kiffin is a good guy and a hardass. He said those things early on to get the fanbase riled up and the Vols some national publicity. He has since stated he did most of that stuff on purpose. The Pahokee comment was made when he didn't know there were cameras in the room (mistake by a young coach; he's obviously learned from it). How many SEC teams (not Florida or Bama for sure) can say they haven't had at least 1 player on their roster get in trouble with the law since last December? Tennessee can.

Also, if you haven't noticed, Lane is 1 of 4 SEC coaches so far this year that have been reprimanded for calling out the officials for poorly refereed games. When you start to see a trend like that, I don't think it's just Lane being "a tool." If so, Bobby Johnson at Vandy, Dan Mullen, and Bobby Petrino (okay, i'll give you Petrino... he really is a jackass) are all tools then too for calling out SEC refs for a bad job.

It's not that he got reprimanded, it's what he says. He comes across as whiney as hell. Whether he did/said the stuff earlier this year on purpose or not, combine it with everything and to everyone not from Tennessee he comes across as a first class buffoon.

QUOTE (JoeBatterz @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
The guy who said recruiting help in Texas is correct.

There are a few reasons for it. Even though it is a neutral site game, it is considered a home game for Notre Dame and thus the game will be part of their NBC contract.

Also, they can have recruits in Texas attend the game and it does not count as a campus visit. The plan is to play one game every other year in Texas as a way to appeal to those recruits and let them play a few games over their college careers in front of their home state fans. Future ND games in Texas will be played in the new Jerry Jones Cowboy Dome and in Houston as well.

On the seasons that they don't play in Texas, they plan to play games in Florida at sites in Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa. The reasons are the same as they play in Texas.

Of course, they will also play in Yankee Stadium against Army, I believe next season.

In addition to the recruiting benefits, it is a throwback to the barnstorming days that ND started back in the days of Rockne.

of course they choose to play Wazzu & Army in these games to make it seem as if they are a dominating program...

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 09:13 PM)
What teams have the best helmets in the NCAA?

Here are my nominees, in no order:

Texas

USC

Penn State

Ohio State

Florida State

Notre Dame

Miami

Oklahoma

Notre Dame has to win this one easy. Hard to argue with the classic. Maybe Penn State could make a contest of it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
Notre Dame has to win this one easy. Hard to argue with the classic. Maybe Penn State could make a contest of it.

Those are all damn good. The classics are the best.

CBUS bound in 24 hrs, WOOT!

I always liked the old MSU helmets...with the "S" on one side only. Then again, my second favorite helmet (and team) in the NFL is the Steelers, so there you go.

And two choices for next head coach at Illinois:

Randy Edsall or Gary Patterson. (my personal choices)

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
I always liked the old MSU helmets...with the "S" on one side only. Then again, my second favorite helmet (and team) in the NFL is the Steelers, so there you go.

And two choices for next head coach at Illinois:

Randy Edsall or Gary Patterson. (my personal choices)

Chase and Pay Brian Kelly.

I've always liked Virginia's and Nebraska's helmet. But my favorite is probably Florida State's.

I think Brian Kelly could find a few better options in the next year or two than Illinois. I bet FSU is kicking themselves right now with Jimbo Fischer being their Head Coach in Waiting.