Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
Chase and Pay Brian Kelly.

If they were smart, they would. He's a great coach. He was my 1st choice for the Tennessee job, but I liked Kiffin a lot too. I think it worked out well for us, particularly with the staff Kiffin brought in (Monte has been especially awesome), but Kelly is a fantastic coach.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 07:18 AM)
For all of you having a contest about what college head coach is the biggest tool, just be happy you didn't have to live through Jim Walden telling you the team is losing because they are wearing do-rags under their helmets. Jim Walden >>>>>>>>>>> ALL on the college football head coach tool scale.

I remember seeing this happen. Brett Beilema while at Iowa met Walden after a game at midfield after some Cyclones flipped him off.

Bielema shook Walden's hand and said: "Coach, you've been a big . . . and I've enjoyed kicking your . . . the past five years."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it," a stunned Walden said.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
I've always liked Virginia's and Nebraska's helmet. But my favorite is probably Florida State's.

I think Brian Kelly could find a few better options in the next year or two than Illinois. I bet FSU is kicking themselves right now with Jimbo Fischer being their Head Coach in Waiting.

I agree with Florida State. I also like Michigan's and TCU's.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Oct 29, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
Wow, who knows what to expect from this UNC team.

Gotta feel bad for Ryan Williams though, fumble cost VT the game, but he's an amazing back. Might be the most talented back in the nation as a red-shirt freshmen.

Great win, but it makes blowing Florida State and not showing up against Virginia that much more painful. Last year UNC pissed away the game against Va. Tech this year they gave it back to us I guess.

Evan, I've been rethinking my SEC debate and I'm even less enamored with them. Everyone talks about the lack of skill in the Big Ten at the QB position, but I'll point out the exact same in the SEC.

Ryan Mallet is the best QB in that conference. Tim Tebow is having a mediocre season, he's tough, ballsy, etc, but without Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy he hasn't been near as good.

Bottom line, I stick to my guns that the Pac 10 is the best conference in the land. I also think oregon is the best team in the country right now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
Evan, I've been rethinking my SEC debate and I'm even less enamored with them. Everyone talks about the lack of skill in the Big Ten at the QB position, but I'll point out the exact same in the SEC.

Ryan Mallet is the best QB in that conference. Tim Tebow is having a mediocre season, he's tough, ballsy, etc, but without Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy he hasn't been near as good.

Bottom line, I stick to my guns that the Pac 10 is the best conference in the land. I also think oregon is the best team in the country right now.

Its funny how long this debate has raged on. I am reading 1968, about OSU football and Woody Hayes best recruiting class and there are numerous statements about how the SEC couldn't compete with the size of the Big Ten back then.

And BTW, if Mallet stayed at UM and DickRod never came in, he would easily be the best QB in the Big Ten.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)
Its funny how long this debate has raged on. I am reading 1968, about OSU football and Woody Hayes best recruiting class and there are numerous statements about how the SEC couldn't compete with the size of the Big Ten back then.

And BTW, if Mallet stayed at UM and DickRod never came in, he would easily be the best QB in the Big Ten.

I completely agree. Ryan Mallet had all the tools.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
I completely agree. Ryan Mallet had all the tools.

Hell to be honest, Arkansas is a lot like Notre Dame. I don't think Mallet is quite as good as Claussen though and they don't have quite as good of WR's as Notre Dame has. Defensively they are both awful though.

Bottom line, Arkansas is a worse version of ND and while I love ND there is no way I'd be arguing about how great they were. ND has all the talent in the world offensively and could stun someone in any one game, but in no way shape or form are they that great of a "team" (and I'm a ND fan).

They'll make a bowl and be rated but Weiss needs to get canned.

Ole Miss - They aren't very good. People argue that its such a deep conference cause Ole Miss was a pre-season top 10 team, but you know what, Ole Miss flat out sucks. The experts got it wrong.

Florida and Alabama have had poor offensive play. Both have legit defenses and some special players on offense. Bama has the stud running game, Florida has Tebow willing them to victory but neither team can pass there way down the field. Hell, Stanzi is a better passing QB than Bama or Florida's and he's the weak link of the hawkeyes (who in no way am I necessarily insinuating are a better team than Florida/Bama, although I'd widely argue the notion that them or OSU would get blown out).

Iowa and OSU have gotten better (OSU much better following that Purdue debacle) where as I don't think Florida or Bama have gotten better. Hell, I think LSU is the team that is improving and is probably the best in that conference.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
Hell to be honest, Arkansas is a lot like Notre Dame. I don't think Mallet is quite as good as Claussen though and they don't have quite as good of WR's as Notre Dame has. Defensively they are both awful though.

Bottom line, Arkansas is a worse version of ND and while I love ND there is no way I'd be arguing about how great they were. ND has all the talent in the world offensively and could stun someone in any one game, but in no way shape or form are they that great of a "team" (and I'm a ND fan).

Ole Miss - They aren't very good. People argue that its such a deep conference cause Ole Miss was a pre-season top 10 team, but you know what, Ole Miss flat out sucks. The experts got it wrong.

Florida and Alabama have had poor offensive play. Both have legit defenses and some special players on offense. Bama has the stud running game, Florida has Tebow willing them to victory but neither team can pass there way down the field. Hell, Stanzi is a better passing QB than Bama or Florida's and he's the weak link of the hawkeyes (who in no way am I necessarily insinuating are a better team than Florida/Bama, although I'd widely argue the notion that them or OSU would get blown out).

Iowa and OSU have gotten better (OSU much better following that Purdue debacle) where as I don't think Florida or Bama have gotten better. Hell, I think LSU is the team that is improving and is probably the best in that conference.

I'm not sure I'd call LSU the best team in the SEC right now. They look great against teams without a better than average Defense, otherwise they are pretty putrid on offense. Jefferson doesn't seem to me that he is ready to be the QB leading that team, but it will sure help him come 2010 and beyond. I think the SEC is pretty much 2 Top teams that probably could beat each other 50% of the time, 7 teams (Mississippi, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Arkansas, LSU, Kentucky) that could matchup and play some great games against each other, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State and Auburn that can pull the upset sometimes.

The ACC, on the other hand....what a mess.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
I think the SEC is pretty much 2 Top teams that probably could beat each other 50% of the time, 7 teams (Mississippi, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Arkansas, LSU, Kentucky) that could matchup and play some great games against each other, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State and Auburn that can pull the upset sometimes.

The ACC, on the other hand....what a mess.

The bold is basically what the ACC is. SEC fans think its just shows how deep their conference is but they think its a mess when it pertains to other conferences.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)

Clausen may be the better QB now but he's also started 30+ games while Mallet is around 10 career starts. Wouldnt be surprised to see Mallet as the better QB once his college career ends.

All because Stanzi has better stats doesnt mean he's a better passer. Stanzi is a 57% passer compared to Tebow who is 63% passer. Tebow has been plagued by recievers who cant catch this year. Even Alabama's QB McElroy is completing 60% of his passes and he and Tebow both have better TD-INT ratio's. I dont know if I'd rate McElroy as a better QB but I dont wouldnt say Stanzi is better either. I'd say Tebow is the better passer than either of those two though.

Also I dont know how you can say OSU has gotten much better following the Purdue game. They've played one game against a average at best team. LSU will have their chance this weekend vs Alabama but I dont think they are that good. They were lucky to beat both Georgia who is average and Miss St who is average at best. I wouldnt be surprised to see them lose 3 more games this year (at Alabama, at Ole Miss, Arkansas).

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
Clausen may be the better QB now but he's also started 30+ games while Mallet is around 10 career starts. Wouldnt be surprised to see Mallet as the better QB once his college career ends.

All because Stanzi has better stats doesnt mean he's a better passer. Stanzi is a 57% passer compared to Tebow who is 63% passer. Tebow has been plagued by recievers who cant catch this year. Even Alabama's QB McElroy is completing 60% of his passes and he and Tebow both have better TD-INT ratio's. I dont know if I'd rate McElroy as a better QB but I dont wouldnt say Stanzi is better either. I'd say Tebow is the better passer than either of those two though.

Also I dont know how you can say OSU has gotten much better following the Purdue game. They've played one game against a average at best team. LSU will have their chance this weekend vs Alabama but I dont think they are that good. They were lucky to beat both Georgia who is average and Miss St who is average at best. I wouldnt be surprised to see them lose 3 more games this year (at Alabama, at Ole Miss, Arkansas).

Just an FYI, Alabama - LSU is next weekend. Bama is off this weekend.

Jason, to claim Stanzi has a better passing game than Florida or Bama doesn't wash unless you isolate the last two games. McElroy, from the 2nd half of the Va Tech game and two weeks ago, had been very good. Not doing an impression of Dan Marino, but still very solid, beating teams deep and spreading it out to several receivers. Bama's problems are rooted in the fact they can't get Julio Jones the ball consistently and last week they werehurt by a pre-game injury to Colin Peek a solid TE that had become somewhat of a security blanket for McElroy. I think Bama's offense will get back on track, but they will never be world beaters this year. But their defense will help by giving them good field position and the running game will help open things back up once McElroy regains his rhythm. (assuming he does)

Florida has struggled the past few weeks, but let's not discount the fact that those have been the first two weeks back after Tebow's concussion. In reality, I believe that has hurt him, if not physically, then in rhythm and timing. LSU has a very good defense, so struggling against the Tigers in Baton Rouge when Tebow had not practice for almost two straight weeks was no surprise. No, they aren't as good this year without Harvin and Murphy, but what team would be?

The depth of the SEC is what makes them better than other conferences. I don't think top to bottom, even with the SEC being down some this year, the PAC 10 really can compare. Isolate the top 5-6 teams, gives you a different viewpoint. The question is, do you evaluate a conference's strength by how good it's top tier teams are or by the depth from top to bottom?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)

I agree with that statement, with one caveat. Mallett is a bit of a renegade. Kind of a 5-cent head kind of guy in terms of demeanor/maturity. Two years removed from his frosh year at Michigan might have changed that some, but I kind of compare him to a Jim Harbaugh when he was in the NFL in terms of being a bit of a renegade. Kids sometimes grow out of that. For some, it actually becomes a strength and makes them great. Others, it keeps them from ever reaching their potential. We shall see where Mallett ends up, but there is no doubt he was talented. Part of me wishes he would have stayed at Michigan to see what Rodriguez would have done with him. Rodriguez said all along, he could adapt his offense for a pure passer. In his early days, his offense put up huge #'s passing ball. Then again, I'm not sure Mallett would have wanted to put in the hard work Rodriguez would have required. I'll stop rambling now.

At this point I don't want to hear about Iowa being good. Even if they come back this result is enough for me to want them blackballed from BCS discussion. They are so overdue for a loss, it's not funny. I don't want to hear the RB was out excuse. It's Indiana.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
At this point I don't want to hear about Iowa being good. Even if they come back this result is enough for me to want them blackballed from BCS discussion. They are so overdue for a loss, it's not funny. I don't want to hear the RB was out excuse. It's Indiana.

Wouldnt matter who was running the ball today for Iowa, the Indiana d-line is just pushing Iowa's O-Line off the ball. No running lanes whatsoever so far.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)

8-0 with road wins at MSU, Wisconsin and Penn State, I guess you can't call them good. They are getting lucky today no doubt, but teams have downer games. I don't know why Davie said the guy dragged his foot. It was pretty clear he did not.

How do they overrule that call? It was called a td on the field, the side judge was standing right there, and the one angle clearly showed the receiver getting a foot down. You could even see dust in the field turf being kicked up from the receiver dragging his foot. Again, how do you overrule that?