Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
So Ole Miss was down 31-14 with 6 minutes left in the 3rd. Mississippi scores a TD and for whatever reason goes for 2. Of course Auburn causes a turnover on the attempt and takes it back for 2 points to make it 33-20. Amazing how stupid some of the coaches are when it comes to going for 2 points.

Not sure what you're talking about. The extra point got blocked and was returned by Auburn for 2 points.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
At this point I don't want to hear about Iowa being good. Even if they come back this result is enough for me to want them blackballed from BCS discussion. They are so overdue for a loss, it's not funny. I don't want to hear the RB was out excuse. It's Indiana.

Indiana should be 6-2, actually 7-2 following today's loss. They had Michigan, Northwestern and Iowa beat. Iowa made a ridiculous comeback and dominated the 2nd half but that was the worse game Iowa has played all season and they should have lost.

Unbelievable. That game reminds me of the Bears vs Arizona Cardinals game of a few years ago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
8-0 with road wins at MSU, Wisconsin and Penn State, I guess you can't call them good. They are getting lucky today no doubt, but teams have downer games. I don't know why Davie said the guy dragged his foot. It was pretty clear he did not.

I thought Iowa got lucky on a couple calls. The spot call, but karma rewarded them anyway. I thought both TD calls which went Iowa's way were close, although some of the camera angles made it look like there was no way that guy dragged his foot and the first one I agree nothing was conclusive enough to over-turn it.

I would have kept the 2nd one though as a TD cause I just didn't see the evidence to over-turn it. My brain told me no way was it a catch but I didn't see a clear camera angle that told me that.

Either way, Iowa battled back and absolutely murdered them in the 4th quarter. Iowa over-came a s***-ton of turnovers, a 9 yard punt, a fumbled punt and still won.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
Once again another close call goes to Iowa. That was an incomplete pass.

Edit: It's closer than I thought.

I actually thought it was a catch and should have staye that way. Although the point was on the ground he had posession of the ball, but I understand the call.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
I'm not going to argue with the 15 yard penalty. Never think it should be called in a play like that, but it was helmet to helmet.

Come on, you guys are just ridiculous. Both plays were helmet to helmet (the MSU one too). It really is an easy call and the rules are the rules.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Yeah...and someone on this board said he was the best senior QB in the Big Ten.

I still say he is. And I think it looked a lot more evident of why they were having so much trouble when you factor in what the wind was doing to the QB's today. Both of them.

And Stanzi's last pick wasn't really his fault, more had to do with McNutt hitting the Ref and having his momentum in-peded (such is football).

It takes a whole hell of a lot to come back from that type of quarter and than look so good in the 4th. Albeit he was helped by his WR's who really made nice plays, Stanzi still had to make the passes.

Iowa's WR's/TE's are the most under-rated aspects of the team. They are rock solid.

Note: Dan, he is a JR.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
Come on, you guys are just ridiculous. Both plays were helmet to helmet (the MSU one too). It really is an easy call and the rules are the rules.

That's what I said. I don't like the rule, but it was helmet to helmet so I'm fine with the penelty.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
We must be like Cubs fans in Iowa. I'm just hoping the Hawks can ride this a long time. I am very nervous about today and next week. I think they will play well at Ohio State.

Our RB depth is a major major issue. Plus Northwestern and IU's offenses match-up very well (in there favor) against our zone defense scheme.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
DA, go back to about 1:16 pm on your dvr and watch the view from behind the end zone. Certainly looked like his foot was down. I do see what you're saying about him being out of bounds from the one angle, but I think it's an illusion that you don't see his foot drag. As one other poster said, from the side view, you can see the line in the turf where his foot dragged and you can see the dust/dirt fly up as well.

Considering it was called a td on the field, and there has to be indisputable video evidence that it was NOT a td to overturn it, I don't understand how you can overturn that call.

You don't clearly see his foot being dragged, but you also don't clearly see him going out. Bottom line, it should have probably stayed a TD cause there just wasn't conclusive evidence one way or the other. The top angle camera was the best view of the play though and it looked like he was out, but again, nothing conclusive.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
I know you're not really gay.

Doesn't matter, Indiana is folding again.

I'm honestly happy for the Big Ten, but this Iowa team will get annihilated in a BCS bowl if it were to get there.

I've heard it before, but thats the same Iowa team that has beaten the glorified SEC 3 seperate times since 2004 (Florida, LSU, and South Carolina).

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
Yeah they will. I just hope its in a meaningless Rose Bowl game instead of the national title game. Would hate to see a Florida/Alabama/Texas team just handed a national title.

Give me a break. Alabama and FLorida have looked every-bit as beatable the past few weeks. You want to talk about the teams to watch, it is Oregon and even USC (with the way there freshman Barkley is playing, although there D has struggled massively the past two weeks).

Bottom line, to go undefeated when you play as many quality opponents that Iowa, Alabama, and Florida do is very tough. You can tell me how Iowa played Arkansas State and Northern Iowa, but we also played a ton of very solid programs and there is a reason the computers have us #1.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
That call was big but the biggest play of this entire game was the Iowa interception returned for a TD where it hit like 5 people then landed right in the Iowa's players hands. Instead of possibly putting the game away Iowa gets right back in it.

I was about to quit on the game and that play happened. IT was looking really bad. Especially with the 9 yard punt in the 1st half and the fumbled punt return with 26 seconds left. People forget Iowa made some uncharacterist mistakes which put Indiana in that position.

IU should have won that game, just like they should have beaten Michigan and Northwestern. So Iowa benefited just like those other 3 teams did, but had IU been able to execute they'd be 7-2 and in the top 20. So lets not start calling IU some awful POS team.

They aren't the Illini.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
Um...anyone else feel like the announcers are giving Stanzi too much credit for this 4th quarter? He made a couple of good albeit simple throws where Iowa's receivers were wide open and then the receivers ran wild. Granted I'm used to seeing Illinois QBs miss those throws but still.

I think he deserves it, only because of what he had to overcome (ie, that horrendous 3rd quarter). IT ain't easy to get back on track when you have that much negative momentum.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
I'd give Iowa an outside shot to win it. They've been finding ways to win.

Texas would be the team that scared me the most and thats because they have the best QB of the group and a top QB could disect our zone defense potentially (if Iowa doesn't get to the QB) and make it tough for us to score.

Alright, I'm all caught up, haha.

Herbstreit was on Cowherd earlier today and was talking about Iowa. He said he talks to coaches on a daily basis for his job and mentioned that the team that the Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 10 coaches he talked to raved about was Iowa.

It isn't necessarily because they've won pretty, but the way they are coached. Still, they've beaten a lot of top 35-40 teams this year, imo. And if they find a way to go undefeated (Which would include another road win @ OSU), well you got to really tip your cap to something like that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
Give me a break. Alabama and FLorida have looked every-bit as beatable the past few weeks. You want to talk about the teams to watch, it is Oregon and even USC (with the way there freshman Barkley is playing, although there D has struggled massively the past two weeks).

Bottom line, to go undefeated when you play as many quality opponents that Iowa, Alabama, and Florida do is very tough. You can tell me how Iowa played Arkansas State and Northern Iowa, but we also played a ton of very solid programs and there is a reason the computers have us #1.

Even the Iowa coach thinks the computers are crazy.

To be honest, I haven't watched Iowa much this year. The Big Ten winner is usually a solid team, not prone to commit a lot of errors, runs the football well, can get big passing plays when it needs it, and plays solid defense. But time and time and time again, they get their doors blown off in big games against the SEC or the Pac 10 champions. The problem is they get behind early and just have no chance coming back trying to throw the ball against a defense that tees off on them because they know they have to throw the ball. My guess is that will happen to Iowa should they face Florida or LSU, possibly even against a Boise St or TCU team as well.

I do think Iowa would hang around against Alabama or Georgia, simply because they aren't explosive teams that will take Iowa out of their game plan early.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 30, 2009 -> 10:10 PM)
The bold is basically what the ACC is. SEC fans think its just shows how deep their conference is but they think its a mess when it pertains to other conferences.

OK.

Remind me again which ACC teams are like the SECs 2 Top teams? Hell, look at Virginia Tech, losing to a mediocre UNC team AT HOME. Look at Miami, losing at home to what was an offensively inept Clemson team, and right now losing to Weak Florist.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
Even the Iowa coach thinks the computers are crazy.

To be honest, I haven't watched Iowa much this year. The Big Ten winner is usually a solid team, not prone to commit a lot of errors, runs the football well, can get big passing plays when it needs it, and plays solid defense. But time and time and time again, they get their doors blown off in big games against the SEC or the Pac 10 champions. The problem is they get behind early and just have no chance coming back trying to throw the ball against a defense that tees off on them because they know they have to throw the ball. My guess is that will happen to Iowa should they Florida or LSU, possibly even against a Boise St or TCU team as well.

I do think Iowa would hang around against Alabama or Georgia, simply because they aren't explosive teams that will take Iowa out of their game plan early.

Iowa has been very good in bowl-games. I wouldn't throw a ton of money down on the Hawks if they were playing Florida, USC, LSU, Alabama, etc, but I'd give them a fighting chance. They aren't as bad as some of you say.

And I realiez Ferentz said that about the computer and the big reason is because the computer doesn't tell how the Hawkeyes win. At the same time, it factors in heavily the teams Iowa's played, etc, and at some point you can't argue that Iowa has beaten some pretty good teams in some pretty tough places.

If Iowa goes undefeated (and I still don't necessarily believe they will), they'd have a resume which includes wins vs Arizona (top 25), @ Penn State (top 15), @ Ohio State (top 15-top 20), @ Wisconsin (Top 30), vs Michigan (Top 30-40).

And right now the Iowa State win isn't looking like a bad win either (although the Clones are losing today).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
Tebow is shutting me up, he's looking really good today. Best he's played all season, imo.

This putrid Georgia defense has a way of making even marginal QBs look good, it will make Tebow look like a demi-god.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
This putrid Georgia defense has a way of making even marginal QBs look good, it will make Tebow look like a demi-god.

It is sad, cause Georgia has a lot of talent, but talent or not, they are just a really bad team. I thought they would show up today.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 31, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
Iowa has been very good in bowl-games. I wouldn't throw a ton of money down on the Hawks if they were playing Florida, USC, LSU, Alabama, etc, but I'd give them a fighting chance. They aren't as bad as some of you say.

And I realiez Ferentz said that about the computer and the big reason is because the computer doesn't tell how the Hawkeyes win. At the same time, it factors in heavily the teams Iowa's played, etc, and at some point you can't argue that Iowa has beaten some pretty good teams in some pretty tough places.

If Iowa goes undefeated (and I still don't necessarily believe they will), they'd have a resume which includes wins vs Arizona (top 25), @ Penn State (top 15), @ Ohio State (top 15-top 20), @ Wisconsin (Top 30), vs Michigan (Top 30-40).

And right now the Iowa State win isn't looking like a bad win either (although the Clones are losing today).

Well this is how the Big Ten Champion always justifies it's position in a BCS bowl. Tough wins on the road against other Big Ten traditional powers. The problem with this is that those teams just don't stack up against the grueling SEC schedule, and for most of recent history, the schedule of the Big 12 or even Pac 10. USC usually goes outside of the conference to play some solid teams to strengthen it's resume.

I really think Iowa is a solid team. Winning at Wisconsin is extraordinarily difficult. But it pales in comparison to playing the likes of Florida/LSU/Tennessee/SC/Auburn, then you throw the likes of a tough non-conference opponent from the Big 12 or the Pac 10 in there...and man, that is brutal.