Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

86: Trey Stross: 6-4/200: WR: SR: Avon Lake, OH (Avon Lake HS)

This guy is not getting any freebies in Iowa City for a while. Figures he's an Ohio kid.

You can't drop TD passes right between your numbers, and another one that might have been a TD, but turned into something else you can't do in Columbus, and that is miss 21 yd FG attempts, and expect victory.

As an Iowa alum, I would take 9-3 at the beginning of this season. I just hope they don't have a letdown next week. 10-2 is still pretty sweet.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)
86: Trey Stross: 6-4/200: WR: SR: Avon Lake, OH (Avon Lake HS)

This guy is not getting any freebies in Iowa City for a while. Figures he's an Ohio kid.

You can't drop TD passes right between your numbers, and another one that might have been a TD, but turned into something else you can't do in Columbus, and that is miss 21 yd FG attempts, and expect victory.

As an Iowa alum, I would take 9-3 at the beginning of this season. I just hope they don't have a letdown next week. 10-2 is still pretty sweet.

You should be thankful that an Ohio kid would even go to Iowa, Ohio HS football is ridiculously superior to Iowa hs football.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 06:41 PM)
You should be thankful that an Ohio kid would even go to Iowa, Ohio HS football is ridiculously superior to Iowa hs football.

That's obvious, but this kid had a tough game. 3 total drops on passes right to him. Hayden Fry got all the Stoops boys out of OH.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 06:27 PM)
Iowa State bowl eligible. No guarantee of a bowl, but a win over the Fightin' Danmans would seal a bid.

On a side note, Colorado is hilariously bad.

If we play anything like we played today, it won't be close. And, yes, Colorado is awful. It begs the question, how do they have 2 wins in conference?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 08:15 PM)
If we play anything like we played today, it won't be close. And, yes, Colorado is awful. It begs the question, how do they have 2 wins in conference?

I love me some Gabbert.

Of course we all know that the Big 12 North is the one division in college football that we can count on the expected result.

Okay, I hate Notre Dame with a passion, but they got screwed on that last call big time. And I'm not sure it would have mattered because it was gonna be 4th and 16 anyways but still. And I don't think it would have been reviewed in the first place if ND doesn't call a timeout.

Edited by The Bones

I'm an ND fan, but if you really slow that down, his arm is knocked down and contact is made with the ball before he starts his arm forward. At that time the ball looks like it's slightly out of his hand then his arm goes forward. The best angle was the one from the far end zone, and the one from the other end zone was good as well. I can see why they called that a fumble. Really tough to tell though.

I know our season is pretty much lost, but I was impressed with EJ Manuel. I know it's only Wake, but for him to perform like that in his first start was very impressive. We'll see how he does against Florida in 2 weeks. On another note, CBS's bowl prediction has FSU (assuming we beat Maryland) vs USC in the Emerald Nut Bowl. I don't think we'd win, but I'd fly out to California for that.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 11:11 PM)
I couldn't tell, but it didn't seem like it was enough to overturn it.

I don't know if the NFL rule is the same college used, I am a Notre Dame hater and I thought they were hosed, but when you look at it again, the ball was starting to come out before his arm when forward although he still was able to make the ball go forward. I don't know the interpretation of the rule under that circumstance. What I like about the college way is the referee on the field has nothing to do with it except report the finding.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
I don't know if the NFL rule is the same college used, I am a Notre Dame hater and I thought they were hosed, but when you look at it again, the ball was starting to come out before his arm when forward although he still was able to make the ball go forward. I don't know the interpretation of the rule under that circumstance. What I like about the college way is the referee on the field has nothing to do with it except report the finding.

Nope, that's what I hate about the college way. The entire system is an absolute joke, and we've seen it many times this year. They need to move it to an NFL system where the coaches get the challenges, and I want no part of a partisan booth deciding what happened on the field. They also need to review the whole indisputable evidence because last night there was not enough evidence to turn that play over. I don't know how the ball managed to go 10 yards forward if Clausen didn't throw it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)
ITS MICHIGAN WEEK!!!

http://thebiglead.com/?p=28563#more-28563

You stay classy Rich Rod!

Seriously though, I refuse to believe that a team that Lloyd Carr built and recruited, and who soundly defeated Florida before Florida became the team that can do everything including finding a cure of cancer, is all of a sudden devoid of any talent. Were they on an elite leve? No, probably not. But they certainly were not a team that for 2 years now has been atrocious (and this coming from a guy that has to watch and root for f'n Illinois, who soundly beat them).

You know what happened? The idiot from WV decided to throw the winningest program in history upside down in order to play HIS style of football (which I maintain is on its way out and by the time he gets "his" guys in there, they'll be average at best anyway) and in the process pissed of a bunch of GOOD players who left the program and/or had no interest in joining the program. Has there been a spread offense/wildcat team that's been succesful against teams not named western michigan, central michigan, or whatever other no-named team that Michigan plays each year? Is that crap going to work against the likes of PSU, OSU, Wisky, etc for the long term? (answer: no).

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
Looks like Mangino was fired from Kansas. :unsure:

Well, maybe not fired yet, really hot water.

It's a weird story, but it matches how weird the Big 12 season has been this year. If Mangino gets fired (even if it's for a good cause, like he hit a player or whatever rumors going around), you would have to think it marks the end of Kansas football for at least a few years. If they can't win with this year's offensive talent, I don't see how Kansas football expects to have staying power.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
http://thebiglead.com/?p=28563#more-28563

You stay classy Rich Rod!

Seriously though, I refuse to believe that a team that Lloyd Carr built and recruited, and who soundly defeated Florida before Florida became the team that can do everything including finding a cure of cancer, is all of a sudden devoid of any talent. Were they on an elite leve? No, probably not. But they certainly were not a team that for 2 years now has been atrocious (and this coming from a guy that has to watch and root for f'n Illinois, who soundly beat them).

You know what happened? The idiot from WV decided to throw the winningest program in history upside down in order to play HIS style of football (which I maintain is on its way out and by the time he gets "his" guys in there, they'll be average at best anyway) and in the process pissed of a bunch of GOOD players who left the program and/or had no interest in joining the program. Has there been a spread offense/wildcat team that's been succesful against teams not named western michigan, central michigan, or whatever other no-named team that Michigan plays each year? Is that crap going to work against the likes of PSU, OSU, Wisky, etc for the long term? (answer: no).

Michigan's offense hasn't been the problem. The spread had worked for the most part. It's the "spread" defense that is losing games for Michigan.

Next year, they bring back practically everyone. IF RichRod can't win next year, than he will be gone.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
Michigan's offense hasn't been the problem. The spread had worked for the most part. It's the "spread" defense that is losing games for Michigan.

Next year, they bring back practically everyone. IF RichRod can't win next year, than he will be gone.

Unfortunately hsis major competition in the conference brings back alot of players as well, OSU has an offense that is mostly sophs and will be a better team next year. Michigan alumni are generally a very classy and well off bunch of people, I dont think DickRod really fits the image of what they want a Michigan coach to portray to be honest. Bo was a mean sonofab**** on the field, but to the outside world, he was a Michigan man through and through who had players and opposing coaches including Woody Hayes that LOVED the guy, DickRod has nothing but enemies.