Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
But aren't you contradicting yourself? You can't call it a bad team and then say coaching is clearly the problem. Here's the issue:

Illinois has a talented bunch of players. They are not a team. THAT is on the coaching staff which is why Zook should go (and I love me some Ron Zook). Enthusiasm only takes you so far.

Coaching can only screw up so badly. The talent isn't as bad as the record, but the talent was never capable of competing for a Big Ten title as some Illinois fans believed.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so going to post this in 2 different threads.

Ari Fleischer Communications, a sports public relations firm headed by the former press secretary for President George W. Bush, has been hired by BCS officials to help remodel the tattered image of college football's postseason system.

BCS executive director Bill Hancock, promoted to the newly recreated position early this week, announced the hiring of Fleischer's company Saturday.

Hancock said in a statement the goal of the hiring was to help highlight the positive aspects of the BCS, which he called the best way to match college football's top two teams, while preserving the bowl system.

Fleischer, whose company also works with NFL teams, Major League Baseball and the USOC, says he is honored to be able to help the BCS.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
Coaching can only screw up so badly. The talent isn't as bad as the record, but the talent was never capable of competing for a Big Ten title as some Illinois fans believed.

I agree with this. Illinois may have some of the better NFL talent in the conference, but overall they are extremely light on difference makers and really didnt have the horses to compete in the conference even in a down year. Zook is definately the #1 problem, but I still think the depth had alot to do with it. Give this team to Ferentz however and they may have been near the top.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 05:53 PM)
But aren't you contradicting yourself? You can't call it a bad team and then say coaching is clearly the problem. Here's the issue:

Illinois has a talented bunch of players. They are not a team. THAT is on the coaching staff which is why Zook should go (and I love me some Ron Zook). Enthusiasm only takes you so far.

Terrible team leadership and focus is another issue that I blame on the players but mostly on the coaches too.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)
I wouldn't leave Florida for ND and I'm an ND fan.

You can't recruit at ND like you can at Florida. If you can breathe, you are eligible at most state schools.

Typical answer from an ND fan. Even in complimenting Florida, you find a way to bash Florida and come off as snobby for ND.

Recruiting is also easier for Florida because of their state. Indiana isn't exactly a hotbed (and yes I realize the region isn't bad) and Florida is arguably the best state for HS talent.

Like it or not, this data exists as well.

2008 NCAA Graduation Success Rate for BCS Football Programs

1. Notre Dame 94%

2. Stanford 93

T3. BC 92

T3. Duke 92

T3. Northwestern 92

6. Vanderbilt 91

7. Wake Forest 83

8. Texas Tech 79

T9. Baylor 78

T9. Nebraska 78

T9. UNC 78

T9. Penn State 78

T13. UConn 77

T13. Indiana 77

T15. Colorado 75

T15. Iowa 75

T15. Syracuse 75

T15. Virginia Tech 75

19. Cincinnati 73

T20. Illinois 70

T20. Michigan 70

T20. Miami 70

T20. Rutgers 70

24. Florida State 69

T25. Clemson 68

T25. Florida 68

If ND's coach was allowed the same academic standard as many "football" schools, I truly believe that they would be much more successful than they have been.

Holtz was the last ND coach allowed Prop 48 guys by the administration, from 1987-1993. Those were the last consistently successful years for ND.

Doubt this has any substance to it:

(from a ND board)

The Charlie Weis clock is now ticking to its preverbial ending. It all started on Saturday night after the Irish lost to Pittsburgh 27-22 and it's long flight back to South Bend. Sunday morning Weis was called in to Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick's office at 9:30 am, where he was told something. Whether he is staying or going, has not been made publicly, but the final nail seems to have been nailed shut.

Here are a few tidbits which should uncloud the Irish Nation's mind about the future of Coach Weis:

~ Weis calls off his Sunday media press conference. This is the first time in five years he has called off a press conference.

~ The media try to contact both Swarbrick and ND President Fr. Jenkins for comment on Weis future, but are not able to be reached, due to both being away from campus.

~ 12:00 p.m. South Bend Private Flight carrying Swarbrick and Jenkins is headed South to Florida.

~ The same plane also has scheduled flights this week to Cincinnati and Oklahoma.

~ Bob Stoops of Oklahoma has been reported as being intersted in the Notre Dame job if it becomes available, according to Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune.

According to one of the Board of Trustees and a source inside the Athletic Department has both confirmed that both Swarbrick and Jenkins have put a package together to lure Urban Meyer back to South Bend. Here are the main details that are on the table as of yesterday:

1.) A 10-year $50,000,000 base salary, which doesn't include endoresment and university incentivies.

2.) 3 "special" projects a year, which may include JUCO transfers.

3.) A contract with Nike (football only)

4.) Additional incentives:

(a) $550,000 for Top 10 Finish

(B) $750,000 for BCS Bowl appearence

© $1.2 million for BCS National Championship

(d) $400,000 for 90% or better graduation rate

The carpet is ready to roll out for Meyer for the taking, whether Swarbrick and Jenkins can get it done, will be the trick. If not, Brian Kelly, seems to be the next logical choice.

These next two weeks will be a roller coaster for media and Irish fans alike. But one thing is for sure, the Weis era clock is about to hit midnight!

If the BCS were somehow dissolved and a playoff system were somehow put into place, I have to wonder if some universities would try and get out of paying coaches their bonuses for reaching BCS bowl games and high BCS rankings. LOL

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
If the BCS is considered post season, I assume that lawyers might get involved.

Not that I expect it to happen any time soon, but if it did I am guessing a lot of contracts are going to be edited or reworked

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
A kid from my senior class is on ND's football team, he's a dumb as a box of rocks, so the tougher standards thing really doesn't fly too far.

This should tell you something about the other schools that can't even graduate 2/3 of their classes.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
If the BCS were somehow dissolved and a playoff system were somehow put into place, I have to wonder if some universities would try and get out of paying coaches their bonuses for reaching BCS bowl games and high BCS rankings. LOL

If the team is reaching BCS bowls regularly, then the school won't want to risk losing their coach (i.e. USC, Florida). Teams that would want to get rid of struggling coaches (i.e. notre dame, Michigan, etc.) aren't paying BCS bowl bonuses anyway.

Rodriguez has been quite the colossal failure in the Big house. It seems like everytime I read any sports news, blog, watching any ESPN or even Comcast Sportsnite they are talking about how much he has pissed everyone off up there. He keeps getting caught in stupid little lies too, and that certainly doesnt help his cause. Why lie about the practice logs if everyone is going to find out about them anyways? And the flap with his player punching another player, and then RR complaining about Purdue's player doing the same thing in a game that didnt even involve Michigan? Just totally classless and petty.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 09:00 PM)
It is a fact. It is easier to get into a public college academically than it is a private college.

That may be the case, but you also said you only have to breathe to get into a public school. Your statement was unnecessarily snobby, that was my point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)

Graduation rates and admission standards are completely different things. For example, Nebraska is top 10 on the list. Not that Nebraska is a bad academic school, but it's certainly not a top 10 school among FBS. Notre Dame does have higher standards, but graduation rates aren't the proof.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
Your statement was unnecessarily snobby, that was my point.

I'm not making a snobby statement. I'm stating collegiate academic rules versus athletics success.

I'm just saying that Florida/Oklahoma/Texas/USC can recruit athletes easier than ND/BC/Duke/Northwestern because their academic standards aren't as high for their athletes.

If you can recruit anyone you want no matter their academic background, you can win more games.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 10:49 PM)
I'm not making a snobby statement. I'm stating collegiate academic rules versus athletics success.

I'm just saying that Florida/Oklahoma/Texas/USC can recruit athletes easier than ND/BC/Duke/Northwestern because their academic standards aren't as high for their athletes.

If you can recruit anyone you want no matter their academic background, you can win more games.

Look, what you said is correct. Let's get that out of the way before I have to read the same response again. I'm just saying that as a typical Notre Dame fan you decided to be snobby and exaggerate how low the standards are for athletes at public schools by saying the athletes only have to be able to breathe.