Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
Not to flame and possible fires, but this is a must post.

ND fan sucker punches Clausen after UConn loss

If the fan is so mad about ND's season, I find it funny that he punched Clausen. If it wasn't for the offense of Clausen/Tate, ND might only have 2 or 3 wins. He would have been much better served going after a defensive player

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 10:49 PM)
I'm not making a snobby statement. I'm stating collegiate academic rules versus athletics success.

I'm just saying that Florida/Oklahoma/Texas/USC can recruit athletes easier than ND/BC/Duke/Northwestern because their academic standards aren't as high for their athletes.

If you can recruit anyone you want no matter their academic background, you can win more games.

How does graduation rates prove that though? It just could show that their athletes are leaving school earlier with no need for their degree, there could be correlation on both sides of the coin you have to understand. Not to mention that many of the schools atheletes dont even attend real classes and probably didnt do a stitch of work to graduate in some cases, but the school doesnt care how they did it as long as they finish. There is good data there, but its not close to being proof of who cant recruit who. ND's problem is not recruiting the top talent at all.

It wasn't a sucker punch apparently. ND is trying to spin the story.

Report: Clausen pushed puncher before altercation

November 24, 2009 11:00 AM | 7 Comments

The South Bend Tribune reports: The altercation that led to Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen being punched began with a shove of Clausen's girlfriend outside CJ's Pub around 2 a.m. Sunday.

The paper cites an anonymous university source saying Clausen pushed the man away, his hand landing in the man's neck area. The man then punched Clausen in the eye, and the two wrestled on the ground for a few seconds before the fight was broken up.

Get the full story: SouthBendTribune.com

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20...979/1001/Sports

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 10:34 AM)
How does graduation rates prove that though? It just could show that their athletes are leaving school earlier with no need for their degree, there could be correlation on both sides of the coin you have to understand. Not to mention that many of the schools atheletes dont even attend real classes and probably didnt do a stitch of work to graduate in some cases, but the school doesnt care how they did it as long as they finish. There is good data there, but its not close to being proof of who cant recruit who. ND's problem is not recruiting the top talent at all.

Balta brought up graduation rates; I didn't.

I just know that as a non-athlete, if I wanted to go to - example - Ohio State, it would be much easier to get accepted there than at Notre Dame.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
Balta brought up graduation rates; I didn't.

I just know that as a non-athlete, if I wanted to go to - example - Ohio State, it would be much easier to get accepted there than at Notre Dame.

Truth, I was just pointing out that graduation rate doesnt necessarily mean its easier to get into. For example, DJK wanted to go to OSU but they wouldnt let him in, so he went to Iowa which has a much better graduation rate than OSU, but could let him in. Notre Dame has some of the best talent in the country, and even though they cannot admit a bunch of non-readers like some SEC schools, they still have a very wide range of kids that they can let in there.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
It wasn't a sucker punch apparently. ND is trying to spin the story.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20...979/1001/Sports

Either way, its a good thing he didnt end up like Tyler Moeller where his season and possibly career was ruined. I understand Clausen has a rep for talkin alot of s***, but NOBODY should attack a player because they are a player.

Attention all betters...

FSU

@UF -21

If you want some easy money, bet the gators and laugh when they beat us by 40.

Oh, and...

Florida fans are urging everyone to wear eye black Saturday -- with or without inscribed bible verses -- in honor of quarterback Tim Tebow's final home game.

...we might suck in football and basketball, but at least our fan base would never do something like this...

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
The ND job opened up a year too early for Meyer. I wont be surprised if he goes to Michigan in a year or two if Rodriguez doesnt get things going.

I would be pretty stunned. Why would Meyer leave Florida? I think it's just wishful thinking on your part and I can't blame you.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 01:01 AM)
I would be pretty stunned. Why would Meyer leave Florida? I think it's just wishful thinking on your part and I can't blame you.

I can think of 50 million reasons why he'd leave Florida.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 01:11 AM)
As opposed to Florida football, which is broke. He'll get paid either way. The pay difference isn't that big.

ND could blow Florida out of the water with the money they can offer. Either way I doubt he leaves too. I just really hope they don't fire Weis without someone they know can take over the program and be successful, I'd rather not go through 3 years of a terrible coach because they fired Weis at the wrong time.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 01:01 AM)

Well look at it like this..

1. Obviously, he has a desire to be head coach of Notre Dame.

2. If Florida wins another championship this season that would give him three there.

3. He already has enough money.

I cant really think of a reason to stay at Florida.. They will be losing Tebow and a lot of other big time players, why not go to a school that is pretty down and cement your legacy as a coach by turning that program around? What else can he do at Florida? If he goes to Notre Dame and turns them into what Florida is now, I think that would be more satisfying as a coach than staying at Florida with nothing really more to prove..

I don't think he will leave, but he has said in the past that it is his dream job. He will also be losing DC Charlie Strong (who is a damn good coach) to a Head Coaching job somewhere. I honestly don't know if he could emotionally handle coaching at UF without Tim Tebow.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
Rich Rod gonna have some more 'splainin to do, one of his players(still unnamed) busted for sexual assualt last night

Was Rich Rod in the room? What kind of explaining would he have to do?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
Or he could stay in Florida and continue to win. ND is a black hole of a job, nobody can hold onto it.

And I doubt Meyer would have the same freedom recruiting wise at ND.