Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 01:41 AM)
ND could blow Florida out of the water with the money they can offer. Either way I doubt he leaves too. I just really hope they don't fire Weis without someone they know can take over the program and be successful, I'd rather not go through 3 years of a terrible coach because they fired Weis at the wrong time.

His current contract at Florida pays him 24 million for 6 years. Yeah, totally on a different pay scale. :unsure:

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
His current contract at Florida pays him 24 million for 6 years. Yeah, totally on a different pay scale. :unsure:

Thank you. I'm glad someone else realized this.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
I'd rather have 50 million dollars then 24 million, but that's just me.

Florida will give him a raise when he is extended. He's already making 4 million a year and that ND offer is 5. A raise puts him in the same ballpark.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 06:29 PM)
Thank you. I'm glad someone else realized this.

Florida will give him a raise when he is extended. He's already making 4 million a year and that ND offer is 5. A raise puts him in the same ballpark.

Exactly, $1 mil a year that Florida could easily match if it came down to it and an extra 4 years that probably won't even matter after an eventual raise and extension/buyout depending on how things go isn't going to be the reason Meyer leaves.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 06:54 PM)
Exactly, $1 mil a year that Florida could easily match if it came down to it and an extra 4 years that probably won't even matter after an eventual raise and extension/buyout depending on how things go isn't going to be the reason Meyer leaves.

And you don't think ND could up the bar once again? I'm not saying it's going to happen but it's a fact that ND would win the money battle.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)
And you don't think ND could up the bar once again? I'm not saying it's going to happen but it's a fact that ND would win the money battle.

Florida is one of the most profitable football programs in the country, Notre Dame would have to go into the stratosphere to come up with a salary big enough to make a drastic difference over what Florida can pay him, and that's on top of paying Weis $18 mil to go away. If Meyer were to leave, and I doubt he will, money will not be the major reason. He's already the third highest paid coach in college football and could easily shoot to first if he wins another title.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 25, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)

Nope, not when having to pay Charlie 18 more million. Florida has more than enough money to keep Urban happy and then some. They're not a Cincinnatti.

Meyer leaving Florida wont be because of the amount of money in a contract.

Spurrier is/was basically the Florida football program and he still left because the fans expectations become so high that unless you win titles the fans arent happy. With Meyer losing Tebow, his defense and assistant coaches, a couple of 9-3 seasons or seasons without SEC titles will get the fans b****ing and moaning. Plus its no secret that he and his wife love the midwest.

He's not leaving this offseason but I wouldnt be surprised if he leaves after 2 years. Even Florida fans dont expect Meyer to stay longer than his current contract.

in regards to the Urban Meyer Notre Dame argument, im thinking maybe Urban Meyer wants a challenge again. The guy has proved he owns the SEC with Florida, he has won his titles and laid waste to pretty much everyone in his way. Maybe he wants to see if he can resurrect Notre Dame in a similar fashion, and ohbytheway still collect a massive paycheck.

Just a thought

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
Seems like a stretch at this point. I think Iowa gets it, not to mention Ok State has to win in Norman without Robinson.

Iowa-State-Nebraska-10.jpg

I wanted to throw that in for absolutely no reason.

Apparently the Fiesta Bowl reps would like to maintain a Big 12 tie, and it could actually spell doom for Boise State, not Iowa/Penn State.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)
Seems like a stretch at this point. I think Iowa gets it, not to mention Ok State has to win in Norman without Robinson.

Aren't most of the experts saying Penn State is going to get selected before Iowa? Either one will be the first at-large BCS team selected because of the draw (both teams travel exceptionally well) but Penn State has Joe Pa and a better lore than Iowa so in the end I think the Hawkeyes are gonna get the short-end of the stick, unfortunately, despite the fact that Iowa won @ PSU.

I hope I'm wrong though, cause that money would be great for the program.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
Aren't most of the experts saying Penn State is going to get selected before Iowa? Either one will be the first at-large BCS team selected because of the draw (both teams travel exceptionally well) but Penn State has Joe Pa and a better lore than Iowa so in the end I think the Hawkeyes are gonna get the short-end of the stick, unfortunately, despite the fact that Iowa won @ PSU.

I hope I'm wrong though, cause that money would be great for the program.

In the Big 10 it doesn't matter much who makes what game since they split the revenues from the bowls. Iowa will get basically the same amount of money if they go to a BCS bowl as if Penn State does. I think the only difference is how big of a budget the school gets depending on what bowl they are invited to.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
In the Big 10 it doesn't matter much who makes what game since they split the revenues from the bowls. Iowa will get basically the same amount of money if they go to a BCS bowl as if Penn State does. I think the only difference is how big of a budget the school gets depending on what bowl they are invited to.

They split, but I still thought the team that gets into the bowl gets a larger chunk of the revenue? Am I mistaken?