Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
I still dont believe that PSU can get selected over a team that beat them. Iowa deserves a BCS bid IMO. PSU wasnt impressive against ranked teams.

I agree with you, but at the end of the day $ talks and I think the Orange Bowl is going to take PSU over Iowa, unfortunately. It will really stink too. Both teams draw well, Paterno and PSU are more storied and thats why they'll get the bid.

I sure hope I'm wrong though and Iowa gets the bid.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
You have ND people saying he's coming to ND, and OU people saying he's staying. Very interesting.

Stoops has been courted a few times and left some programs at the altar, I wouldnt be surprised either way

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
I dunno. TV wise, I'd much prefer to see a TCU team over teams like Iowa/PSU who no offense are pretty bland and boring for non Big 10 fans.

Not sure where bland and boring came from, PSU has a dynamic offense to go with a good defense. The argument for TCU is that they are top 5 in both offense and defense, although against lower tier competition. Bowls would obviously prefer teams that travel better and probably teams that have played a tougher schedule so that they can make it a good game. TCU's two toughest games were against Air Force and Clemson and their offense struggled to put up points against both.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
ND will get rejected as long as they are so strict with their athlete academic requirements.

ND is and has been one of those few schools that has succeeded at building a highly successful major-sport athletic program while still being academically elite. Duke and Stanford are others. I don't see any of them changing that, and I think that's excellent. A university is supposed to be a university. Athletic programs are great, but no school should sacrifice their overall standards just to have a good football team***.

*** = I am aware that ALL schools make allowances for athletes, just like they do other individuals, but there is a difference between doing that, within the confines of still being academically rigorous, and doing what many other schools do and find a way to get anyone with a heartbeat in the door if they can block and tackle.

The NFL and NBA have gotten away with, essentially, having a cost-free minor league system, and I think that does more bad than good, for both the sports in question, and the students at these schools.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
ND will get rejected as long as they are so strict with their athlete academic requirements.

Yeah, its really hurt their recruiting classes.....

Maybe its just time to admit that Notre Dame isnt a football power anymore, and isnt a destination that athletes seek out. Those days are over.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
If I am in Notre Dame's inner circle and we get rejected by Urban and Stoops, I call The Old Ball Coach.

He left Florida because fans werent satisfied with 10-2 seasons. Plus Spurrier isnt the recruiter ND needs.

Notre Dame should throw the bank at Butch Davis. He built the most talented team in NCAA history in the 2001 Miami team from probation in a handful of years. And now he's made UNC into a respectable football school. There might not be a better eye than his when it comes to scouting talent.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)

Maybe its just time to admit that Notre Dame isnt a football power anymore, and isnt a destination that athletes seek out. Those days are over.

Since Weis has been at ND havent they consistently had top 10-5 recruiting classes? I dont think the problem is that athletes didnt want to come to ND, I think the problem was that there wasnt someone who could coach them up, especially on the defensive side. If Quinn or Clausen ever had a bad day, ND was totally f***ed. That defense was a sieve.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)

ND was still pulling some huge recruits, the problem was they couldn't coach them up. They will be just fine.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
Since Weis has been at ND havent they consistently had top 10-5 recruiting classes? I dont think the problem is that athletes didnt want to come to ND, I think the problem was that there wasnt someone who could coach them up, especially on the defensive side. If Quinn or Clausen ever had a bad day, ND was totally f***ed. That defense was a sieve.

I was being sarcastic, I didnt think I needed the green. They have the players clearly.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)
I was being sarcastic, I didnt think I needed the green. They have the players clearly.

Yeah, academics are a lame excuse. I don't understand why a high school athlete would want to go to Notre Dame. They offer nothing that isn't matched or topped by several other programs that don't have the handicap of playing in Indiana. The regional recruiting for the midwest (Ohio and Pennsylvania are up there, but that's not where Notre Dame is) isn't as good as Texas, Florida or California. Many of the other top programs are in those areas. Notre Dame can't expect to be a top tier program when they are #4 in terms of current prestige among the midwest (behind Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State), which isn't as deep as the areas mentioned. Despite all that they've still recruited supposed top talent, so why are academics a valid excuse?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
Yeah, academics are a lame excuse. I don't understand why a high school athlete would want to go to Notre Dame. They offer nothing that isn't matched or topped by several other programs that don't have the handicap of playing in Indiana. The regional recruiting for the midwest (Ohio and Pennsylvania are up there, but that's not where Notre Dame is) isn't as good as Texas, Florida or California. Many of the other top programs are in those areas. Notre Dame can't expect to be a top tier program when they are #4 in terms of current prestige among the midwest (behind Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State), which isn't as deep as the areas mentioned. Despite all that they've still recruited supposed top talent, so why are academics a valid excuse?

ND used to historically pull alot of the top catholic players from all over, Penn, NJ, Ill, Ohio, it didnt matter. Nowadays its more important to play for a big time school with serious facilities and a pipeline to the NFL. The states you mentioned all have a top tier football program that takes the best talent in the state. I understand ND WANTS to compete for a national title every year, but its extremely hard for ANY program to do that.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Nov 28, 2009 -> 10:49 PM)
Sounds like Bowden's coaching days at FSU are done.

I am happy he is retiring, but I am still proud to say I have met and worked for a legend. I just wish he could of gone out on a better note, but I just do not want to sit around while he runs this program into the ground.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)
Another Florida Gator player arrested today. This time its starting DE Carlos Dunlap for DUI. Let's see if Meyer finds a way to let this kid play.

undefined

Give Meyer some credit, I'm sure he will suspend him for one game.....September 4, 2010 vs. Miami (Ohio)