Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
Anyone else think the timing of Weis' firing is stupid? Why not wait until after the bowl game?

They need to name a coach quickly so they dont lose recruits and players to the draft.

If they hire Brian Kelly, domers are going to be pissed about the defense for the next 5 years.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 12:30 AM)
You'll see me on ESPN this Saturday at 3:30 as GVSU takes on Carson-Newman in the DII National Semifinals.

Carson-Newman, huh? They're right here in Knoxville. I had no idea they were that good at football. I sometimes watch their coach's Sunday night show because it comes on after Kiffin's, but didn't realize they were doing so well.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
Carson-Newman, huh? They're right here in Knoxville. I had no idea they were that good at football. I sometimes watch their coach's Sunday night show because it comes on after Kiffin's, but didn't realize they were doing so well.

Their 11-2 on the season and are one of, if not the only team in any football division to run the split-veer offense.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
They need to name a coach quickly so they dont lose recruits and players to the draft.

If they hire Brian Kelly, domers are going to be pissed about the defense for the next 5 years.

I know it'd be an amazing opportunity and pay-raise for BK, but it'd kill me inside to watch him coach Notre Dame because I hate them so damn much.

Ron Guenther is such a dumbass, I can't think of a single reason that Zook should be kept as the head coach of Illinois. This staff has underachieved an unbelievable amount the last couple of years with the talent they brought in. I saw this posted on another board that only 24 schools brought in top 35 classes in 06, 07, and 08 and 22 of those schools are going to ball games this year. The only ones that aren't are Michigan and Illinois and Michigan at least has the excuse of attrition due to a new coaching staff as well as players that were recruited for a different scheme. Not to mention, the longer you retain Zook the worse the program is set up for future success unless he pulls a miracle next year and somehow wins big and gets some stability with his job and is able to get recruiting back on track. It just seems like this is the perfect time to dump him and bring in a coach that knows what the hell they are doing. It could be somewhat similar to Florida bringing in Meyer after Zook (I'm not saying we will championships but more or less that the new coach will actually get the most out of the talent Zook leaves which for Illinois likely means 8-4 type seasons). But instead, the 2010 recruiting class is falling apart, and by bringing him back basically for one more year you are going to make recruiting in 2011 extremely difficult as well so the talent will fall off for the future. Therefore the next coach will have to rebuild from scratch and you will be right back to where we were when Zook took over.

Tennessee-Virginia Tech in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl... Not excited at all about the match-up. But, I'm excited we're playing in ATL because I plan on going, which means I'll be spending my New Year's Eve in Atlanta. Should be fun.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)
Ron Guenther is such a dumbass, I can't think of a single reason that Zook should be kept as the head coach of Illinois. This staff has underachieved an unbelievable amount the last couple of years with the talent they brought in. I saw this posted on another board that only 24 schools brought in top 35 classes in 06, 07, and 08 and 22 of those schools are going to ball games this year. The only ones that aren't are Michigan and Illinois and Michigan at least has the excuse of attrition due to a new coaching staff as well as players that were recruited for a different scheme. Not to mention, the longer you retain Zook the worse the program is set up for future success unless he pulls a miracle next year and somehow wins big and gets some stability with his job and is able to get recruiting back on track. It just seems like this is the perfect time to dump him and bring in a coach that knows what the hell they are doing. It could be somewhat similar to Florida bringing in Meyer after Zook (I'm not saying we will championships but more or less that the new coach will actually get the most out of the talent Zook leaves which for Illinois likely means 8-4 type seasons). But instead, the 2010 recruiting class is falling apart, and by bringing him back basically for one more year you are going to make recruiting in 2011 extremely difficult as well so the talent will fall off for the future. Therefore the next coach will have to rebuild from scratch and you will be right back to where we were when Zook took over.

I'd give Zook one more year. I think what was worse is the offensive coordinator was terrible, and their defense overall(players mostly), were terrible. The Illini do have talent, but they didn't come close to utlizing it. Some of it falls on Zook, no doubt, but there's others who deserve just as much blame, if not more.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 08:43 AM)

One of my good buddies went there and played football there.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 09:55 PM)
The SEC bowl selection process by the Bowl committees, absolutely disgraceful.

That is all.

Not as bad as the ACC's selections. The ACC is doing everything they can to send Florida State to a New Year's Day Bowl which will probably end up sending Miami to the Music City Bowl.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
Not as bad as the ACC's selections. The ACC is doing everything they can to send Florida State to a New Year's Day Bowl which will probably end up sending Miami to the Music City Bowl.

Its just like every other bowl, they just want to sell out. They know Bobby's last game in Jacksonville vs WVU (which he has ties to) would bring in a huge crowd. In today's day and age bowl prestige means nothing anymore. I hope we say f*** you to the Gator bowl for last year and go to the Champs.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
Its just like every other bowl, they just want to sell out. I hope we say f*** you to the Gator bowl for last year and go to the Champs.

Thats where I want Miami to end up so I can go to it. But Clemson will probably end up there now if they lose Saturday night.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 11:41 PM)
Thats where I want Miami to end up so I can go to it. But Clemson will probably end up there now if they lose Saturday night.

You could get lucky though. They might not want Clemson playing in Florida both in the ACC Championship and a bowl game close by in Orlando. This after playing in Jax last year. I know the Car Bowl would love to get them. Who knows with the Gator Bowl trying to get us. I don't think it's right that a 6-6 team gets a bowl like that though. However, like I said, its all about the $$$.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 11:44 PM)
You could get lucky though. They might not want Clemson playing in Florida both in the ACC Championship and a bowl game close by in Orlando. This after playing in Jax last year. I know the Car Bowl would love to get them. Who knows with the Gator Bowl trying to get us. I don't think it's right that a 6-6 team gets a bowl like that though. However, like I said, its all about the $$$.

I know its the Bowden-West Virginia factor but I think it would be more fun to watch a FSU-South Carolina Music City Bowl. Bowden vs Spurrier was HUGE here in Florida during the 90s and it would be fun to see it one last time.

Haha, reports that the Big 12 bowls will go like this:

NC: Texas

Cotton: Oklahoma State

Holiday: Nebraska

Alamo: Tech

Sun: Nebraska

Insight: Iowa State

Independence: Texas A&M

Texas: Mizzou

Some Mizzou rep was interviewed in the KC Star and apparently the Insight committee is "suddenly enamored" with ISU.

Might be a good sign for Iowa to the Fiesta as well, as I would imagine they'd try and get fans of both teams to stay for a week in Az.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
Haha, reports that the Big 12 bowls will go like this:

NC: Texas

Cotton: Oklahoma State

Holiday: Nebraska

Alamo: Tech

Sun: Nebraska

Insight: Iowa State

Independence: Texas A&M

Texas: Mizzou

Some Mizzou rep was interviewed in the KC Star and apparently the Insight committee is "suddenly enamored" with ISU.

Might be a good sign for Iowa to the Fiesta as well, as I would imagine they'd try and get fans of both teams to stay for a week in Az.

Nebraska gets to play in two bowl games? Must be nice.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 08:23 AM)
Nebraska gets to play in two bowl games? Must be nice.

Ha one was supposed to be Oklahoma.

Gotta love the Big 12 though, where the commish publicly says that Mizzou should be picked over ISU.

"This isn’t over,” Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe said Wednesday afternoon in a telephone interview with The Kansas City Star.

“I know (Missouri athletic director) Mike Alden and the Missouri folks have made a tremendous case to all the bowls they might be selected to," Beebe said. "I don’t know that Missouri could do a better job than they are doing.”

And, Beebe added, he shares the concern of MU officials that the Tigers might be passed over for the Insight Bowl bid by a 6-6 Iowa State team.

“I am concerned about a bowl that would select a team that has two less wins and was beaten by that team head to head.”

Gotta love how the Big 12 doesn't give a s*** about us, whether its right or not.