Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
Ha one was supposed to be Oklahoma.

Gotta love the Big 12 though, where the commish publicly says that Mizzou should be picked over ISU.

Gotta love how the Big 12 doesn't give a s*** about us, whether its right or not.

Well, really, they are kinda right. ISU should not be selected to a higher level bowl game than Mizzou, this season. That would be absurd. I mean, I'd love it for ISU, but its not really very fair.

Iowa State is often an afterthought to the conference (in football) anyway, given the school's history of just not being very good, and not having the type of fan draw that some of the other schools have. Plus, ISU has more stringent academic standards than most if not all of the conference, which tends to handicap them, and the conference may not like that ISU is "different" that way.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
Well, really, they are kinda right. ISU should not be selected to a higher level bowl game than Mizzou, this season. That would be absurd. I mean, I'd love it for ISU, but its not really very fair.

Iowa State is often an afterthought to the conference (in football) anyway, given the school's history of just not being very good, and not having the type of fan draw that some of the other schools have. Plus, ISU has more stringent academic standards than most if not all of the conference, which tends to handicap them, and the conference may not like that ISU is "different" that way.

They're right and you're right. However, they took a ton of fans last time.

The point being is why does the commish of the conference say anything at all? There's no obligation in the Big 12 bowl agreements according to record.

And that's not saying much!

:lolhitting

They're right and you're right. However, they took a ton of fans last time.

The point being is why does the commish of the conference say anything at all? There's no obligation in the Big 12 bowl agreements according to record.

All the conference schools split up bowl revenue anyways. It should matter one iota to Beebe who the Insight takes. His job should be marketing the conference on a national scale, not marketing one school over another. Why does he not mention that an A&M team that is also 6-6 would also be selected to the Independence Bowl over Mizzou? Or that a 7 win OU team would get selected 3 spots ahead?

Too bad the Big 10 would never take ISU.

Here's a fun one on this from an Insight Bowl person:

Alba said the Insight would take into consideration Missouri's superior record and head-to-head victory over Iowa State. But ...

"Having said that, we have an obligation to put people in the stands," he said. "What nobody wants is to have a half-empty stadium -- or half-full stadium -- so that's why traveling is extremely important."

Iowa State played in the 2000 Insight Bowl and brought a contingent of 20,000 fans to watch the Cyclones defeat Pittsburgh. But Alba was quick to point out the circumstances surrounding that matchup: It was ISU's first bowl game since 1978.

"They had a huge crowd, but you have to keep in mind they hadn't been to a bowl game in about 500 years," he said. "Obviously that's an exaggeration, but they hadn't been to a bowl game in a long, long, long time. ... Their fans were extremely hungry because they had been starved of a bowl game for so many years. We still think they travel very well, but we're doing that background work right now to see how much support there will actually be in terms of concrete numbers."

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)

WTF??????????

How do you even explain that?

There were other times during that game where more than one lineman didn't move when Florida jumped offsides so it is apparently something they are taught to do. I have no idea why though and I don't know why he would be the only one not moving in this case.

I understand stay still if they are jumping offsides, but that guy was willfully ignoring what was going on around him. Thats just messed up, his QB could have been annihilated because of the 1 undefended guy running around free

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
There were other times during that game where more than one lineman didn't move when Florida jumped offsides so it is apparently something they are taught to do. I have no idea why though and I don't know why he would be the only one not moving in this case.

They do that a ton now to make a point that it wasnt them that jumped, its really f-ing stupid.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)
Rumor out of South Bend that they'll be a coaching announcement with the next week.

Sounds like Kelly but the Stoops rumors persist.

Theres no way they would announce within the week since their targets are all going to bowl games. Coaches simply wouldnt do that IMO, especially Kelly. If it is true, I hope domers realize tht defense is once again not going to be played in South Bend.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
Rumor out of South Bend that they'll be a coaching announcement with the next week.

Sounds like Kelly but the Stoops rumors persist.

Heard on ESPN Radio(Cowherd's show I think) that Stoops is in the process of builing the 3rd biggest house/mansion in the Norman area.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
Are there bigger p*****s in football than in the Kansas football program? No, with apologies to Michigan.

Mangino lost control, have no idea what happened or what caused it. Now, who becomes our next coach, I am hoping for Harbaugh.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
Other names rumored for KU job are Sumlin, Fedora, Edsall, Fulmer, Strong, Gil, Koetter

Kansas' hiring wish list is very ambitious. Edsall is realistic and a decent hire I suppose (same could be said for Gil), but I don't see some of the bigger names on the Kansas list wanting that job. I'm not saying it's a bad job, but you would think Harbaugh could do better if he wants to leave.