Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 01:22 AM)
They completely f'd themselves with their TV ratings. Nobody is going to watch GT/Iowa or TCU/BSU.

Agreed, GT/Boise and TCU/Iowa would have been the way to go. You get the non-BCS teams to go against each other. The Boise/GT over would have been like 80 points also.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
Agreed, GT/Boise and TCU/Iowa would have been the way to go. You get the non-BCS teams to go against each other. The Boise/GT over would have been like 80 points also.

I actually wanted TCU to play Florida since I think that would be the best matchup possible. GT/Boise would have been a ton of fun. Cincy and Iowa would have been an interesting matchup actually.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
The BCS doesn't care about games that decide anything (no TCU/Cincy game), they care about spreading around teams for fan (read: money) interest.

They put the two non auto teams against each other because they want to keep the crashers from tainting their party.

QUOTE (T R U @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 05:54 AM)
by 10??

Dude, if Nebraska had anything resembling an offense they would have slaughtered Texas last night..

I fully expect Alabama to rout Texas

The Longhorn defense gave up no touchdowns last night, and nine of the points allowed came off turnovers, and a couple of those were tipped passes. Nebraska had three first downs, or was it only two? For a rout, Alabama will have to score and I'm not certain is they can post more than 21 or 24 points. I'd feel good if I was the Tide, but I wouldn't be thinking rout. Plus, four weeks off, levels things a bit. Texas reminds me of the Sox a few years back, reeling and staggering into the playoffs.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 07:32 PM)
Because the team Boise plays wouldn't have the whole offseason to prepare? Flawed logic.

Ask Oklahoma how Boise State shows up in a bowl game.

The team playing Boise also has other things/games to worry about too. Boise plays crap from games 2-12 so they can sell out for one game. They also want to play when they are as close to 100% as possible. Boise doesnt have the balls to play a good team in week 5 when they might be banged up some because they know they arent good enough to compete week in and week out against bigger teams in the country. Atleast TCU is willing to go out on the road to big conferences during the season.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
The Longhorn defense gave up no touchdowns last night, and nine of the points allowed came off turnovers, and a couple of those were tipped passes. Nebraska had three first downs, or was it only two? For a rout, Alabama will have to score and I'm not certain is they can post more than 21 or 24 points. I'd feel good if I was the Tide, but I wouldn't be thinking rout. Plus, four weeks off, levels things a bit. Texas reminds me of the Sox a few years back, reeling and staggering into the playoffs.

There was a reason why I said if Nebraska had any offense at all they would have crushed Texas..

Florida had one of the top defenses and that really didn't stop Alabama, ide say Alabama has a better defense than Nebraska does as well.. Another thing that brought me to my prediction is Colt McCoy and his lack of showing up in some of their big games I.E. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Nebraska..

Anyways, when I say rout I don't mean like 42-10 or something but more along the lines of a 31-17 game that was never really close..

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
I don't care at all about college football, but Minnesota/Iowa State is going to be a terrible, terrible game.

Yeah, but I get to go.

I'm just happy we got one of like 5 bowl eligible teams we can beat.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 09:33 AM)
Once again, it's a travesty that 5 teams go undefeated and yet only two are "worthy" to fight for the national title.

Let's take the top 8 teams in the BCS ranking and do a thought experiment, who wins in the playoff bracket?

Alabama beats Oregon in the championship. TCU wins 3rd place with a rout of Cincinnati

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
Still the only sport where you can go undefeated and not be the champ.

College football has the most meaningful regular season.

Love the last line. I have always hated that arguement that the regular season is a playoff. It's a joke and is why I don't get into it that much.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
Haha, reports that the Big 12 bowls will go like this:

NC: Texas

Cotton: Oklahoma State

Holiday: Nebraska

Alamo: Tech

Sun: Nebraska

Insight: Iowa State

Independence: Texas A&M

Texas: Mizzou

Some Mizzou rep was interviewed in the KC Star and apparently the Insight committee is "suddenly enamored" with ISU.

Might be a good sign for Iowa to the Fiesta as well, as I would imagine they'd try and get fans of both teams to stay for a week in Az.

My Iowa prediction was right. Orange Bowling my Hawks go!!! Badass!

Its for entertainment. There is no perfect system. Even in basketball the tournament doesnt mean that the best team wins, it just is fun to watch.

The system now, is a lot better than it was where you may not have even seen Alabama/Texas, and instead saw Alabama play a random team, Texas play a random team and the other unbeaten teams not play either. The old system would have had potentially 3-4 ties of undefeated teams.

Bowl games are good for some reasons, bad for others, but they give us entertainment and that is the goal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
All I can say is, lets go Hawkeyes, lets beat Fathom and his Georgia Techies!!!!

Over/under on punts in the game is 1.5. You haven't faced a defense as bad as Georgia Tech's all year. It consists of a top 10 draft pick and then 10 high school caliber players.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
Over/under on punts in the game is 1.5. You haven't faced a defense as bad as Georgia Tech's all year. It consists of a top 10 draft pick and then 10 high school caliber players.

Is that Iowa punts or total punts? I realize GT can score, but Iowa has a premiere defense and I would expect that we could force at least two GT punts. And Iowa doesn't exactly have a potent offense, although they are close.

The exciting thing is a few insiders are talking about Henderson having Iowa climbing up on his list and some believe Iowa is at the top of his list. If they could land him, it would be Iowa's best recruiting class in..well...forever.