Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)
Then youll get arguments such as:

No one would play TCU, etc.

A lot of the problem is that the schedule is made years in advance that some times what looked like a good game turns out to be bad one.

How do basketball teams figure that out then? I see top programs playing top ones consistently. Out of conference matchups need to be a staple of teams that really want to be national champions, bar none. Every national championship team has played a difficult game out of conference that I can remember, or in the case of the SEC, a downright brutal title game. I dont know, those teams need to not be scared of playing a better team. Cincy should have OSU on their schedule every year IMO. TCU should play Texas, Boise should continue to play Pac-10 top tier teams.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock,

What if Texas refuses to play TCU, or OSU wont play Cincy?

How is that remedied?

Basketball is easier because there are 30 games and about 13 are OOC. In football you have 12 games, 4 OOC and if you lose 1 you may have just ruined your chance at a NC title game.

There is no incentive for OSU to play Cincy. If OSU goes undefeated, they likely are in the NC game, all playing Cinci does is add risk.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 11:17 PM)
They could have played someone better than they did. If they beat numerous ranked opponents and another team didnt, then they would be ranked higher than them. Pretty straight forward actually.

But could they have really played someone better than they did? They can't control their conference games and the big boys don't WANT to play them non-conference.

Alabama was too busy playing North Texas and Florida International.

Texas was too busy playing Wyoming, Louisiana-Monroe, and UTEP.

Florida was too busy playing Charleston Southern, Troy, and (hey!) Florida International.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
How do basketball teams figure that out then? I see top programs playing top ones consistently. Out of conference matchups need to be a staple of teams that really want to be national champions, bar none.

Basketball teams will play powerhouses because they're resume boosters unless you get blown out. Most football teams don't want to risk an L, especially not to a non-BCS conference school.

And there are still a lot of cupcake schedules that go across the board in NCAA basketball as well because nobody wants to risk losing to a mid-major. Maryland and Syracuse catch flak every year for this reason.

And Badger, the goal can be making money AND crowning a true champion, they are not mutually exclusive. Everyone loves an underdog.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
I got Iowa in that game.

And where are you hearing this about Henderson? Is he even taking a visit to Iowa City? Top school are supposed to be USC, OSU, and Fla

He's already made an unofficial visit to Iowa and now there have been some rumors trickling out about him moving Iowa up on the radar. We'll see what happens, but he has continued to mention Iowa in his list of 8 schools. I don't know how much I believe Iowa is the front-runner, but I think they are a top 4 option.

They have one of the best coaches in the country, have a history under that coach of having Olineman drafted high, and that coach specializes in the oline where he had coached in the pro's. Above that he'd be going to a school within driving distance for his family to still attend the games.

A lot lines up, but I still personally think OSU has a bit of the lead as they clearly are the bigger name school. I don't think he leaves his family, everything I've read about the kid indicates he'll stay with his family. The other big lure is he is a two sport star and wants to play basketball so if a team were to offer that avenue up it might sweeten the pot.

My predictions looked smart...Harbaugh has been contacted about the ND job. I think he'd be a tremendous hire. Maybe not a big name to those not familiar with the Pac 10, but he's done a hell of a job at Stanford and is going to do some pretty big things.

He's not Meyer or Stoops, but I think he's excellent and could actually be a better get than Kelly. Plus, having his pro connections should be helpful.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
And there are still a lot of cupcake schedules that go across the board in NCAA basketball as well because nobody wants to risk losing to a mid-major. Maryland and Syracuse catch flak every year for this reason.

And Badger, the goal can be making money AND crowning a true champion, they are not mutually exclusive. Everyone loves an underdog.

Playoffs

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
My predictions looked smart...Harbaugh has been contacted about the ND job. I think he'd be a tremendous hire. Maybe not a big name to those not familiar with the Pac 10, but he's done a hell of a job at Stanford and is going to do some pretty big things.

He's not Meyer or Stoops, but I think he's excellent and could actually be a better get than Kelly. Plus, having his pro connections should be helpful.

He just said on Monday Night Countdown(he is in GB watching his brother) that he has not or will not talk to ND about the job and that he has not been contacted. The AD for Stanford also said that he is 99% sure Harbaugh will be at Stanford next year, and hes really good friends with Swarbrick.

So the earlier rumor today about him interviewing along with Kelly looks to be false.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)

A winning Stanford coach who was supposed to revive ND... haven't I heard that one before?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
Rock,

What if Texas refuses to play TCU, or OSU wont play Cincy?

How is that remedied?

Basketball is easier because there are 30 games and about 13 are OOC. In football you have 12 games, 4 OOC and if you lose 1 you may have just ruined your chance at a NC title game.

There is no incentive for OSU to play Cincy. If OSU goes undefeated, they likely are in the NC game, all playing Cinci does is add risk.

True. I know from experience that OSU will play almost any in state team and isnt afraid of scheduling OOC opponents like Texas, USC, Miami, VT, Navy etc. BUt I agree that there are some issues with all teams wanting to make life easier on themselves rather than test their teams. Teams like OSU have proven that cupcake schedules without a loss are just as good as a tough road with 1 or 2 losses if not better. Thats largely the problem in CFB.

Looks like Brian Kelly of Cinci is very close to being the new ND head coach...

According to Schad's online story found right HERE, "things are heating up" between the Irish and Kelly, and the process that would make Kelly the new Irish coach could be completed in a couple of days. Talks between athletic director Jack Swarbrick and the soon-to-be-former UC head coach are expected to continue, but no formal interview will take place.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
Looks like Brian Kelly of Cinci is very close to being the new ND head coach...

Ya and earlier today Kelly was staying put, and Randy Edsall was the odds on favorite. This thing changes by the hour, and Swarbrick has done an amazing job keeping his search away from the media. Everything so far has just been speculation by people and none of it is coming true.

So I'm done reading the garbage thats out there, and I'll wait for the announcement.