Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
I havent followed them much this year, but does Cinci have much of a defense? Or is this going to be the same thing it was with Weis, all O no D?

All you have to do is look at any post from RockRaines in here and he talks about how bad their defense is..

QUOTE (T R U @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
All you have to do is look at any post from RockRaines in here and he talks about how bad their defense is..

They dont play defense. At all.

+1 more for ya.

I just dont understand how this is their hire of choice. Everyone clamors for a better defensive team and a guy who may be a better public figure than Weis, and they go and get basically the same guy that they had.

Cincy is the #6 offense in the country. ND is the 9th. How much improvement is Kelly going to bring to ND on that side of the ball? I will say this, Weis is a much worse defensive coach than Kelly IMO, but they are both not what you'd call defensive minded. I believe CIncy was #48 and ND was somewhere in the 87 range.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
In fairness, Cincy allowed only 20.1 points per game last year. They lost a lot of defensive starters.

True, they were 24th in total defense. But only 45th in total offense behind powerhouses like iowa st.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
Wow, Billy Gonzales is leaving UF for LSU. He was a major recruiting factor and their WR coach. They are also going to lose Charlie Strong.

I'm very surprised by this. I honestly can't believe he made essentially a lateral move to another SEC school, especially considering he was coached in college by Meyer and has been with Meyer at every stop since Bowling Green. Either LSU is giving him an enormous raise or he's still bitter about being passed over as OC last year when Mullen left.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 03:12 AM)
I'm very surprised by this. I honestly can't believe he made essentially a lateral move to another SEC school, especially considering he was coached in college by Meyer and has been with Meyer at every stop since Bowling Green. Either LSU is giving him an enormous raise or he's still bitter about being passed over as OC last year when Mullen left.

I hear that the Vols are being investigated for recruiting issues by NCAA.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 03:34 AM)
I hear that the Vols are being investigated for recruiting issues by NCAA.

Yeah, any time the NCAA looks at your program it's not good. But honestly, I'm not too worried. Looks like the NCAA isn't getting anywhere in their "investigation." They looked into a few things but don't seem to have any evidence. I think they're stretching for something.

I mean, let's be honest. Every program cheats in one way or another. It's just a matter of covering those things up and who does it better than others. So when the NCAA looks into you, it's bad b/c there is stuff to be found. You just have to hope they don't find it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
Do you think that they cared about the Central Michigan players' feelings when Kelly left CMU to coach Cincy?

No idea, its crazy that they showed that stuff on chicago news though.

Oh and I hope this hurt's Cincy's recruiting in Ohio, but thats just for selfish reasons.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
I would think the pissed part is leaving your team while the season is still going on and playing for an undeated season in the Sugar Bowl.

That and Mardy Gilyard claims that he spoke to Coach Kelly after the Pitt game and he said he wasn't going anywhere. I understand not wanting to tip your hand, but you can be more honest than that. "I will look into any opportunity that comes my way, that doesn't mean I'll take it, but I owe it to myself to at least listen." Good lesson in life.

So Illinois decides to keep Zook and the offensive assistant coaches become the sacrificial lambs. I just really don't understand this. The 2010 recruiting class has completely fallen apart and Zook is going to have a really hard time recruiting in 2011 as basically a lame duck head coach. So unless the team has a year similar to 2007 it is likely that the 2011 class sucks as well. What kills me is that there is enough talent on the current roster for a competent coach to come in and have a winning season and build momentum. But no instead of just saying the 2010 class is going to suck regardless lets also sacrifice the 2011 recruiting class, and continue to employ a head coach in over his head. The only way this would even make remote sense is if the assistants that they hire to take over the OC and DC positions are big time coaches but nobody that is a big time coach is going to come be an OC or DC when there is a good chance the HC only will be here for 1 more year.

I have a feeling the 5.2 million dollar buyout is the biggest hurdle. I guess that's the biggest thing - how is this financially a good move? Season ticket holders are dropping like crazy which I'm sure the admnistration loves considering the gigantic addition and upgrade project they just completed (and now have to find the money to pay for). Who in their right mind is going to pay for those tickets when you know that next years team is just going to be awful?

Also, how is RG still the AD? What has he done exactly? I'm not even sure when he started as AD, but there's been 3 GOOD years of Illinois football in the last 3 decades - 1984, 2001, and 2005. The rest they've been absolutely horrible. I know the school has become more basketball oriented, but it's sad to know that a "traditional" powerhouse from about 1920-60's, with 2 of the greatest players of all time in college AND the NFL, can't get it's friggin act together and actually demand a winning program.

I say scrap the whole lot of them. RG, Zook, all of his assistants, everything. I agree with you that this move essentially dooms us for at least 2 crappy seasons before we have even the hope of being a bowl team.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
Do you think that they cared about the Central Michigan players' feelings when Kelly left CMU to coach Cincy?

Yes, it's part of the college football coaching ladder. However, the odds are pretty decent that Notre Dame never has a year as good as the one Cincinnati is having now. Kelly could be leaving the best year of his career before it's finished. The Cincinnati players are thinking that he took a step back because they're undefeated and Notre Dame is 6-6 and is losing their best 2 players.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
I have a feeling the 5.2 million dollar buyout is the biggest hurdle. I guess that's the biggest thing - how is this financially a good move? Season ticket holders are dropping like crazy which I'm sure the admnistration loves considering the gigantic addition and upgrade project they just completed (and now have to find the money to pay for). Who in their right mind is going to pay for those tickets when you know that next years team is just going to be awful?

Also, how is RG still the AD? What has he done exactly? I'm not even sure when he started as AD, but there's been 3 GOOD years of Illinois football in the last 3 decades - 1984, 2001, and 2005. The rest they've been absolutely horrible. I know the school has become more basketball oriented, but it's sad to know that a "traditional" powerhouse from about 1920-60's, with 2 of the greatest players of all time in college AND the NFL, can't get it's friggin act together and actually demand a winning program.

I say scrap the whole lot of them. RG, Zook, all of his assistants, everything. I agree with you that this move essentially dooms us for at least 2 crappy seasons before we have even the hope of being a bowl team.

RG has done a good job with his basketball hires and has done well with the non revenue sports. Kruger, Self and Weber were all good hires and Weber could be the guy that actually gives Illinois stability and makes us into a 2nd tier elite program (not traditional elites, so not on the same level as UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. but possibly on the same level as MSU, UConn, etc. at the national level). But the job he has done with the football program has been really poor. And the biggest issue has been holding on to coaches too long when they are on the decline. If you fire Zook now, the guy basically did his job to a certain extent. He dramatically upgraded the athleticism and talent and even gave the program one great season. Instead you hold on to him too long and now there is the possibility the next coach has to start from scratch again.

My guess is that its just not economically feasible to fire Zook. The University of Illinois is in shambles in terms of budget, they are cutting everywhere right now. Im not sure how the athletic department is coping but they may not have the capital to cut loose Zook and afford a high price tag coach.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
RG has done a good job with his basketball hires and has done well with the non revenue sports. Kruger, Self and Weber were all good hires and Weber could be the guy that actually gives Illinois stability and makes us into a 2nd tier elite program (not traditional elites, so not on the same level as UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. but possibly on the same level as MSU, UConn, etc. at the national level). But the job he has done with the football program has been really poor. And the biggest issue has been holding on to coaches too long when they are on the decline. If you fire Zook now, the guy basically did his job to a certain extent. He dramatically upgraded the athleticism and talent and even gave the program one great season. Instead you hold on to him too long and now there is the possibility the next coach has to start from scratch again.

I'll give him credit for the bball program, but it's not like it was in the tank and he resurrected it. The bball program has been consistently in the top 10-15 in terms of winning and getting to the tournament (hence the #6 all time ranking, *cough brag *cough).

If you're the admn I dunno how RG, after making this decision, is allowed back on campus. This is now the third time in my lifetime (only 27, have been following Illinois football and basketball religiously since about 8) that we've had a s***ty coach come in, given 1-2 years to build the program, have a good year, given a completely illogical extension by proving absolutely nothing, and then allowed to completely dismantle it again. Tepper, most definitely Turner, and now Zook. And you're right, this is EXACTLY what you hired Zook to do - restock the program with talent. We got lucky and had a great year in 2005. But that's it. He's shown ZERO improvement since then. I've normally been a Zook apologist, but christ at the end of the day his teams are just awful and there's absolutely no excuse why this years team shouldn't have won a minimum of 8 games.

What kills me is that even though Illinois isn't a powerhouse, it's a friggin Big Ten school with a connection to Chicago. Clearly there's enough there to recruit good players from all over the nation. If he could find some up and coming coach the guy would be given a pretty talented team to work with, and he might even be able to talk some of the players into coming back and not transferring (and/or not changing their commitments).

This is going to be like that 2004 game against Rutgers where we literally looked like a varsity high school team the entire season. You wanna talk about ISU having a shot against Illinois? Look at the next couple of years in football.

f***ing pathetic.