Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
The mock site that I like is done by Scott Wright (he used to post on a board called nfl-fans that id sometimes frequent), he currently has Benn at 16 as of November 9th.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-B.php

Most of the other mock drafts I trust arent out yet, but Benn will most likely appear in the 15-20 range. After the combine you may see him projected as the top WR. It is a really weak year for WR, and it wouldnt surprise me if Benn surpasses Dez White as the #1 projected wr (especially because Benn should have better measurables).

Im not sure what sites you are looking at that dont have Benn being drafted at all, they may be ones that dont have underclassmen in the mocks (some sites dont put the underclassmen in until they are 100% gone).

I was looking at ESPN's mock draft/big board they released today. They do say Benn is the 2nd best junior WR, but don't have him in the top 32 picks or the top 25 overall. But it's ESPN, and it's still early.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
Absolutely the best situation possible. As I said before, let Zook be the recruiting coordinator with the title of head coach. Give these coordinators a ton of money (Petrino is 2 years at 495k, is that a lot for an OC in college?) and let them run the team.

That is a very high salary for a college coordinator.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 07:34 AM)
Jake Locker's coming back for his senior season. Probably not too many other juniors in a position like he is in are gonna be making that decision this year.

Yeah this is a terrible idea. I just don't have any idea why he would stay.

In an article I just read about Jake Locker (talking about the possibility of him suffering an injury, like Sam Bradford):

"Yet history indicates that the Oklahoma QB's injury is both rare and surmountable. Of the 252 senior quarterbacks drafted in the last 20 years, CBSSportsline.com draft expert Rob Rang cites just 13 who suffered injuries as seniors. In all instances, the impact on draft status was minimal."

He also goes on to mention a guy like McGahee who completely ruins his knee, but still gets drafted in the first round and makes his millions. Couple this with the insurance policies these guys already have, and I don't think the injury thing is as big of a deal as it's made out to be. After all, there's nothing stopping a guy getting a career ending injury in summer workouts for the team that drafted him, ruining his career forever (in both cases the few millions he gets from insurance or a signing bonus is going to have to support him for his life - how rough).

Maybe Locker wants a 2nd Heisman run? To be more of a national name and therefore increase his draft stock? I dunno, maybe he just enjoys being THE man in Washington and bangin lots of coeds?

As for Benn, looks like he's got a 2:00 press conference today to announce his plans.

And no one in eastern or central Iowa will be able to watch Iowa or Iowa State's bowl games without a dish (or rabbit ears for Hawk fans). ISU game is on NFL Network, but there's now a disagreement between the owners of the Fox stations and Mediacom, the cable company that dominates Iowa. Both sides are really pessimistic that Mediacom will be showing Fox programming after the New Year.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
In an article I just read about Jake Locker (talking about the possibility of him suffering an injury, like Sam Bradford):

"Yet history indicates that the Oklahoma QB's injury is both rare and surmountable. Of the 252 senior quarterbacks drafted in the last 20 years, CBSSportsline.com draft expert Rob Rang cites just 13 who suffered injuries as seniors. In all instances, the impact on draft status was minimal."

He also goes on to mention a guy like McGahee who completely ruins his knee, but still gets drafted in the first round and makes his millions. Couple this with the insurance policies these guys already have, and I don't think the injury thing is as big of a deal as it's made out to be. After all, there's nothing stopping a guy getting a career ending injury in summer workouts for the team that drafted him, ruining his career forever (in both cases the few millions he gets from insurance or a signing bonus is going to have to support him for his life - how rough).

Maybe Locker wants a 2nd Heisman run? To be more of a national name and therefore increase his draft stock? I dunno, maybe he just enjoys being THE man in Washington and bangin lots of coeds?

As for Benn, looks like he's got a 2:00 press conference today to announce his plans.

How could he even improve his stock? I know he could certainly damage it. I'm sorry but this is not a wise move. You take the millions when you have the chance.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 12:51 PM)
How could he even improve his stock? I know he could certainly damage it. I'm sorry but this is not a wise move. You take the millions when you have the chance.

Because he's not a lock to get a really high pick. From Kiper today:

What's your take on Benn entering the draft?

Mel Kiper

(1:08 PM)

He's a guy who's coming out with very little buzz. Normally juniors come out with buzz. He had a QB situation at Illinois that wasn't very good. He was banged up early in the season. They kind of limped home and finished the season 3-9. This was a team that was not what they thought he would be. Benn was up against it because he didn't have the personnel he needed as a WR. He's a hard worker. He has a little bit of Marvin Harrison in him from that stand point. He's not coming in with momentum. You have to go back and look at sophomore and freshman film and you'll like what you see. I thought coming into the year that he could be top 15, now you're looking at a second rounder."

The fact is he was a highly touted recruit that everyone said was "NFL ready" the moment he stepped on campus. But he stepped onto a campus full of morons so he didn't really have a stage to do squat. Is someone going to draft him? Sure. Is it going to be in the first round? Hopefully. He could have come back this next season (supposedly to be the focal point of a pro style offense...we'll see how well that goes) and improve his draft stock and make millions more. I certianly don't fault him for going. I'm just saying he's risking getting a mediocre salary by leaving early (even if it is more than we'll all make in our lives), so it's not a slam dunk decision.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
And no one in eastern or central Iowa will be able to watch Iowa or Iowa State's bowl games without a dish (or rabbit ears for Hawk fans). ISU game is on NFL Network, but there's now a disagreement between the owners of the Fox stations and Mediacom, the cable company that dominates Iowa. Both sides are really pessimistic that Mediacom will be showing Fox programming after the New Year.

Pretty much why Mizzou won by being passed over. Mediacom is in Columbia and a lot of Missouri as well. NFL Network = bad for bowl games. Of course, I have NFL Net. so I didn't care too much.

Eh, hard to say he has no buzz when he hasnt gone to the combine yet.

Kiper does this every year, he makes statements about players before the season, before the combine, only to then completely change his stance before the draft.

I trust my own evaluation over Kiper. I think that Benn is arguably the best WR in the draft and that after the combine you will hear people raving about him.

Before the season Kiper had Benn at 10 on his big board:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/2...per-s-big-board

I just cant stand Kiper's inconsistency.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
Because he's not a lock to get a really high pick. From Kiper today:

What's your take on Benn entering the draft?

Mel Kiper

(1:08 PM)

He's a guy who's coming out with very little buzz. Normally juniors come out with buzz. He had a QB situation at Illinois that wasn't very good. He was banged up early in the season. They kind of limped home and finished the season 3-9. This was a team that was not what they thought he would be. Benn was up against it because he didn't have the personnel he needed as a WR. He's a hard worker. He has a little bit of Marvin Harrison in him from that stand point. He's not coming in with momentum. You have to go back and look at sophomore and freshman film and you'll like what you see. I thought coming into the year that he could be top 15, now you're looking at a second rounder."

The fact is he was a highly touted recruit that everyone said was "NFL ready" the moment he stepped on campus. But he stepped onto a campus full of morons so he didn't really have a stage to do squat. Is someone going to draft him? Sure. Is it going to be in the first round? Hopefully. He could have come back this next season (supposedly to be the focal point of a pro style offense...we'll see how well that goes) and improve his draft stock and make millions more. I certianly don't fault him for going. I'm just saying he's risking getting a mediocre salary by leaving early (even if it is more than we'll all make in our lives), so it's not a slam dunk decision.

I thought you were still talking about Locker.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
Eh, hard to say he has no buzz when he hasnt gone to the combine yet.

Kiper does this every year, he makes statements about players before the season, before the combine, only to then completely change his stance before the draft.

I trust my own evaluation over Kiper. I think that Benn is arguably the best WR in the draft and that after the combine you will hear people raving about him.

Before the season Kiper had Benn at 10 on his big board:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/2...per-s-big-board

I just cant stand Kiper's inconsistency.

Yeah, what gets me about those guys is that all they do is name drop. "And then when you're talking about Illinois you gotta talk about Arrelious Benn, a solid WR, and then you got Juice Williams, whose got to get better but could have a solid year, and then you got..." and blah blah right down the list. ZERO reporting, just read the local write-ups, find out who the 3-4 main names are on each team, and then repeat, repeat, repeat.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
I thought you were still talking about Locker.

Ah. My bad. I dunno about Locker's situation, was he supposed to be the #1 QB? Regardless of the millions, a guy like that, whose got a Heisman and a multi-multi-multi-million dollar insurance policy, I think I'd return to school too.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)

Why take the risk? Some people think he could be the first QB taken. He also doesn't have s*** going at Washington. I don't think he can really increase his draft stock.

it usually doesn't happen. But history doesn't really prove anything, as the chance is always still there, especially in a game like football. Look at what happened to Bradford. He may cost himself a lot of money, but at least he had a team to come back to that could play football.

Furthermore, when was his first Heisman run exactly?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)
Ah. My bad. I dunno about Locker's situation, was he supposed to be the #1 QB? Regardless of the millions, a guy like that, whose got a Heisman and a multi-multi-multi-million dollar insurance policy, I think I'd return to school too.

Are you combining Locker and Bradford into one super QB here?

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)
Why take the risk? Some people think he could be the first QB taken. He also doesn't have s*** going at Washington. I don't think he can really increase his draft stock.

it usually doesn't happen. But history doesn't really prove anything, as the chance is always still there, especially in a game like football. Look at what happened to Bradford. He may cost himself a lot of money, but at least he had a team to come back to that could play football.

Furthermore, when was his first Heisman run exactly?

Are you combining Locker and Bradford into one super QB here?

Lol, yes, unintentionally. I thought Locker won the heisman. Oops!

I do follow Illinos football, so ya know, i'm a retard.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)

How the hell could a cable company have a dispute and not show channel Fox. It is an over the air channel for pete sake that anyone and there brother could get for free with a set of rabbit ears?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
How the hell could a cable company have a dispute and not show channel Fox. It is an over the air channel for pete sake that anyone and there brother could get for free with a set of rabbit ears?

The Fox stations and the CBS station in Eastern Iowa and the Fox station in Central Iowa are all owned by Sinclair Communications and they are raising the price to rebroadcast their signal, so it will be pulled.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)

Because Mediacom is the worst f***in thing to ever happen to the world.

From footballtalk.com. Guess people shouldnt put too much stock in what McShay and ESPN yap about when it comes to the NFL draft.

Locker didn't get a first-round grade from Advisory Committee

Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2009 8:25 PM ET

For those of you who admire the dedication and/or question the sanity of Washington quarterback Jake Locker for deciding not to enter the NFL draft in what could be the last year of the big-money windfalls at the top of the pecking order, the decision to stay in school isn't as honorable and/or stupid as previously believed.

As pointed out in the Associated Press article regarding Locker's decision not to forgo his final season of college eligibility, Locker had submitted his name for consideration to the NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee, which estimates where a player might be drafted.

Despite a proclamation by ESPN's Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Locker didn't receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee.

The source concedes that Locker might have still be drafted in round one given the value of the position, but the source insists that McShay was flat wrong in his assessment of Locker.

"That's the problem," the source opined. "McShay is clueless. Up until three weeks before the 2008 draft, he said that [Kentucky's] Andre Woodson would be a first-round pick. He went in the sixth and is out of the league."

And the source explained that these opinions come not from the same-old rant by NFL scouts that guys like McShay and Mel Kiper have the luxury of popping off with no accountability as long as it all sounds good (the same-old rant has a significant amount of accuracy, by the way), but from concerns that guys like McShay do kids a disservice by pumping up their expectations.

"The problem I have with people like McShay saying stupid things is parents and others who 'advise' these kids think McShay knows what he is talking about," the source said. "And they believe him before they believe the Advisory Committee. Then, when the kids go a lot lower than projected they are pissed and/or depressed. . . . This stuff happens every year and we have to deal with the broken hearts because people who don't know what they are talking about put visions of grandeur into young players' heads."

This item isn't intended to be a shot at McShay. But if the Advisory Committee didn't give a first-round grade to the guy that McShay had at the top of his board, then something is wrong with this picture. And we're inclined to think the defect doesn't come from the Committee made up of folks who scout players for a living -- and whose ongoing careers depend not on their ability to talk smoothly about their views, but on whether enough of the players whom they believe to be good players become good players.