Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I post this, I have to say that I hope he is alright. I hope nothing is seriously wrong with the guy. With that being said, you guys have no idea how happy this makes me in terms of FSU; just on recruiting alone, this is huge.

Who would've thought that Bobby and Urban would be hanging it up at the same time.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Dec 26, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
Congrats on your what was that bowl game named? victory.

Going into the year with a freshman QB and no starting LB's or your first LB off the bench (all who now are starting in the NFL), I didn't expect to be back in a January bowl game.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
Going into the year with a freshman QB and no starting LB's or your first LB off the bench (all who now are starting in the NFL), I didn't expect to be back in a January bowl game.

It's USC. Yes you did.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
Mr. Snake Meyer is pulling a Billy Donovan/Brett Favre/whatever you want to call it.

Not the same at all if it is a legitimate health issue. And considering he just had his contract extended and gets paid more than pretty much everyone in college FB, there is no reason for him to pull this

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
Mr. Snake Meyer is pulling a Billy Donovan/Brett Favre/whatever you want to call it.

s***... I was really hoping that would be the end of Urban in the SEC. Oh well, it should help in the short-term - recruiting, beating FLA, etc.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
Not the same at all if it is a legitimate health issue. And considering he just had his contract extended and gets paid more than pretty much everyone in college FB, there is no reason for him to pull this

If it is so serious, then why is he already saying he is going to come back? You think you'd want to wait it out for a little bit before announcing something so bold. One day everyone thinks he's dying; the next, it's just stress and he just wants a year vacation.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
s***... I was really hoping that would be the end of Urban in the SEC. Oh well, it should help in the short-term - recruiting, beating FLA, etc.

At least Steve Addazio is going to be the coach for the year and not someone really good.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
If it is so serious, then why is he already saying he is going to come back? You think you'd want to wait it out for a little bit before announcing something so bold. One day everyone thinks he's dying; the next, it's just stress and he just wants a year vacation.

At least Steve Addazio is going to be the coach for the year and not someone really good.

Some coaches need to step away for a vacation because they never actually get one between the season and recruiting and spring practices, etc. Im not going to begrudge him that if he actually had an in-season heart attack like what is being reported. That doesnt mean he WANTS to step away, and I am sure he doesnt, which is why he sounds like he is flip flopping.

Favre flip flopped because he didnt feel like retiring, but Green Bay wanted him gone, not because of a health issue. I dont see how it is comparable to Donovan either, considering he left for another job, then decided he didnt want that job and came back

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)

Hahaha Ya right just like Rowand said your USC this season was a failure no matter how you sugar coat it. Yesterday was also December 26th.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 26, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)
Chuck Martin to be named DB Coach at Notre Dame. Sucks for GVSU. Best of luck to him, I'm now a fan of the Fighting Irish with Kelly and Martin there.

Is going from GVSU head coach to DB coach really an upgrade for him? I could see defensive coordinator.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
Im not going to begrudge him that if he actually had an in-season heart attack like what is being reported.

Everything you said is very legitimate and I see where you are coming from. I just don't trust the guy and think this is a stunt and its due to my affiliation with FSU. However, I've only seen that heart attack story on one blog though. Not saying its not true, but I would like more than just a blog.

if it is a stunt, it is a very strange stunt. I dont see how he would benefit from taking a leave of absence and going back and forth like this. I know he has had some diva moments as head coach at Florida, but this wouldnt really fit that pattern. He usually acts out when someone talks about his programs or his coaching abilities. You never know though, it could be something that none of us are seeing yet.

And I knew your FSU affiliation was playing a part in what you were saying ;)

QUOTE (kev211 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
Is going from GVSU head coach to DB coach really an upgrade for him? I could see defensive coordinator.

yeah its a definite upgrade, its exposure. When I started college at SIU waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1996 they were coached by Shawn Watson for 1 year. He jumped the next year to be the QB coach for Northwestern under Gary Barnett, and followed Barnett to Colorado to be his OC, and now is the OC for Nebraska. These guys know they have to step sideways before they step forward in the coaching ranks in college, unless they are REALLY hot coaches due to their team performance

Edited by KyYlE23

I immediately thought that Urban got caught for something that would have to call for a suspension and instead he is "going on leave." But who knows. Its seems strange that he was in talks allegedly with ND for their position yet knew he had health issues bad enough that he had to take time off from coaching.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)

You know, it's a question thats been talked about here a lot the last day or so. Most thought he'd only leave to be defensive coordinator, but I can't really fault the guy. It's a bit disappointing that he left only to be a DB Coach, but at the same time, it's freakin' Notre Dame and he's probably still going to get more money. It's the opportunity to move up that makes it huge. Plus, Martin is Catholic and from the South Side of Chicago, so it's prestigious to him for personal reasons.

It really REALLY sucks to lose him, but I wish him the best of luck. I'm sure he'll be coaching a D1 team in the near future. In the meantime, I think ND will love what they have. He was an All-American safety back in the day and has been primarily a defensive coach his entire life.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
yeah its a definite upgrade, its exposure. When I started college at SIU waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1996 they were coached by Shawn Watson for 1 year. He jumped the next year to be the QB coach for Northwestern under Gary Barnett, and followed Barnett to Colorado to be his OC, and now is the OC for Nebraska. These guys know they have to step sideways before they step forward in the coaching ranks in college, unless they are REALLY hot coaches due to their team performance

The thing is, it looked almost certain that Central Michigan wanted him to be their Head Coach this season. He was going to follow a very similar path as Brian Kelly going from GVSU to CMU and then to a top D1 school. I know Coach Chuck and have talked to him a bunch, and this was more about the opportunity to work at Notre Dame more so than anything else. He's a family guy from Chicago, so he'll be getting paid more money (presumably) and he'll be closer to home, working with his good friend Brian Kelly at the school he grew up loving. It was the perfect storm for him to leave.