Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if Colt doesn't get hurt?

Bama’s offense really struggled. The 2nd half Gilbert played well so that may not have been too different, but the 2nd quarter lull (and that’s an understatement) from Texas wouldn’t have gone down the same. I picked Texas beforehand, but this game actually makes me MORE sure a healthy Texas team beats Bama.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:58 PM)
What happens if Colt doesn't get hurt?

Bama’s offense really struggled. The 2nd half Gilbert played well so that may not have been too different, but the 2nd quarter lull (and that’s an understatement) from Texas wouldn’t have gone down the same. I picked Texas beforehand, but this game actually makes me MORE sure a healthy Texas team beats Bama.

And there is a good chance Texas would have scored at least a TD and maybe two at the beginning of the game and would have been in complete control right off of the bat. Also, the unbelievably stupid decision to run that shovel pass really killed Texas. Granted you don't think that will be a pick 6 but no reason to even run a play there.

Bama is prolly the best defense in the nation all things considered, I don't think you can assume McCoy would light it up against them had he played the whole game..

Texas also has a very good defense and Bama ran all over them, easily, its not really a surprise that their passing game looks terrible tonight they didnt need it at all..

Sure, the game goes different with Colt in there.. but Colt doesn't play defense and Bama ran the ball anyway they wanted to. I dont think the result is any different with Colt in there, I still think Bama would have won..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
Bama is prolly the best defense in the nation all things considered, I don't think you can assume McCoy would light it up against them had he played the whole game..

Texas also has a very good defense and Bama ran all over them, easily, its not really a surprise that their passing game looks terrible tonight they didnt need it at all..

Sure, the game goes different with Colt in there.. but Colt doesn't play defense and Bama ran the ball anyway they wanted to. I dont think the result is any different with Colt in there, I still think Bama would have won..

Bama scored 17 points on offense on full drives. A pick 6, a drive started at the 3 (that still took 3 tries to get in) and a meaningless last minute TD that was also on a short field. It's easy to argue Bama would still win, but to be impressed with their offensive performance? No.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 05:15 AM)
No way in hell anyone could say that.

If McCoy doesn't get hurt, it's very likely Texas leads at least 10-0 after their first 2 drives. If Texas was able to get Alabama into a game where McElroy has to throw a lot, they win. He's a very mediocre QB, and Texas was getting a ton of pressure on him. But like someone else said, that shovel pass at the end of the first half was just a stupid call by Mack.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
Bama scored 17 points on offense on full drives. A pick 6, a drive started at the 3 (that still took 3 tries to get in) and a meaningless last minute TD that was also on a short field. It's easy to argue Bama would still win, but to be impressed with their offensive performance? No.

Really? They rushed for like 230 yards on a very good Texas defense.. they didn't need to do anything on offense except give the ball to their two exceptional RBs due to the Texas offense not being able to do anything without Jesus McCoy..

If McCoy is in the game, the ENTIRE game is different for obvious reasons.. but due to the circumstances, Alabama really didn't need to do anything but be extremely boring on offense..

Anyways, I get what you are saying.. but still Texas defense has nothing to do with Colt McCoy, and Bama gashed them all night on the ground. That was impressive. McElroy and the passing game? You're right, fail. Like I said though, they didn't need it..

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 06:28 AM)
I'll be the first to say it, I really think Boise could have competed with both these teams. Rip away...

Disagree...I don't think Boise is that much better than Cincinnati, and we all saw how Cincinnati looked against Florida. People underestimate how great the Alabama and Florida defenses were this season.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
I'll be the first to say it, I really think Boise could have competed with both these teams. Rip away...

I highly doubt that, they could only score 10 offensive points on TCU.. there is no chance they could slow down either of Bama or Texas offense, even with Gilbert at QB!

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)
Really? They rushed for like 230 yards on a very good Texas defense.. they didn't need to do anything on offense except give the ball to their two exceptional RBs due to the Texas offense not being able to do anything without Jesus McCoy..

If McCoy is in the game, the ENTIRE game is different for obvious reasons.. but due to the circumstances, Alabama really didn't need to do anything but be extremely boring on offense..

Anyways, I get what you are saying.. but still Texas defense has nothing to do with Colt McCoy, and Bama gashed them all night on the ground. That was impressive. McElroy and the passing game? You're right, fail. Like I said though, they didn't need it..

Right. The playcalling changes for Bama given a different start and that probably helps them, but at the same time the more they had to pass the worse. My point is that Texas was a couple dumb plays and a couple breaks away from winning despite being without McCoy. At least the dumb plays (ie the pick 6) and the 4-20 start at QB would be improved.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:47 AM)
Right. The playcalling changes for Bama given a different start and that probably helps them, but at the same time the more they had to pass the worse. My point is that Texas was a couple dumb plays and a couple breaks away from winning despite being without McCoy. At least the dumb plays (ie the pick 6) and the 4-20 start at QB would be improved.

Don't you think the injury to McCoy also throws Bama for a loop too? You've spent weeks preparing for something and a couple plays into the game, it means nothing. Obviously Gilbert isn't as talented, but it certainly had some effect on Alabama too.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 01:10 AM)
Don't you think the injury to McCoy also throws Bama for a loop too? You've spent weeks preparing for something and a couple plays into the game, it means nothing. Obviously Gilbert isn't as talented, but it certainly had some effect on Alabama too.

The only effect it had on Alabama was they didnt have to worry about the pass. They were begging Texas to throw the ball and for most of the game Texas couldnt.

It's not like Alabama went from preparing to a drop back passer to a pure scrambler which would give a team major fits.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 06:10 AM)

Well, Saban said after the game that in the first half, Texas was playing differently than what they had planned for. He said in the 2nd half, that was more of what they had game planned for. With that said, it sure seems like Alabama would have struggled defending the passing game if McCoy stayed healthy with Shipley lighting them up in the 2nd half.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 01:16 AM)
The only effect it had on Alabama was they didnt have to worry about the pass. They were begging Texas to throw the ball and for most of the game Texas couldnt.

It's not like Alabama went from preparing to a drop back passer to a pure scrambler which would give a team major fits.

I just feel as though the defense wasn't on its toes and didn't play as hard after McCoy came out. I also got the feeling that a lot of the players, and probably Saban, didn't feel as good about the win knowing McCoy didn't play.

Here's my question: would everyone feel the same way had McCoy got hurt in practice before the game and didn't play at all?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 01:18 AM)
Here's my question: would everyone feel the same way had McCoy got hurt in practice before the game and didn't play at all?

Well since he only played 5 plays its kinda hard not to feel the way, especially if the game played itself out the same way.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:09 PM)
No doubt in my mind that Texas wins this game if McCoy stays healthy. McCoy really seems like a genuinely great person.

Completely agree. I thought they'd win before the game, too. Thought McCoy would have a huge game.

McCoy would have made McElroy win the game, and I don't think he would have been able to do it.

Alabama hid behind the lead and a running game, against a freshman QB and no running game, and still barely won.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)

Uh...they ran for 205 yards...On 51 carries. Yes some of those were sacks. But I wouldn't say it was "running all over them, easily" nor "gashing them all night," really. Texas let up the one huge run, other than that they gave up about 4.4 yards a carry. They didn't throw the ball. Of course they had some yards on the ground. Alabama didn't do much on offense the entire night save one play.

I don't think McCoy would have completely lit up a good defense, but I think he would have made Alabama do a lot more on offense than they showed.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)

I wouldn't call the 2nd to last touchdown a "full drive." And the FG started at the Texas 29. Hell even the TD run, that drive started at the 49.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)

Throws them for a loop? "s***, there's a HS QB in the game now, I hope we can adjust." That was the loop.

FTR, Texas had more total yards than Alabama.

Edited by IlliniKrush

McCoy seems like a good guy and all, but there is no doubt in my mind the only reason why he didn't come back was because of his NFL future. And yeah, that is the smart move in the long run, but I still feel he completely abandoned his teammates. Plus, that clip of him chit chatting with VY and smiling and joking made me sick. Seriously, your team is about to lose the NC, and your joking around? Your not in the game, but your teammates still look towards you.

And yeah, they reported he wanted to come back in but was recommended not to, but thats BS. Since the x-ray was negative, there was no medical reason that could prevent him from coming back. If he really, truly, wanted to come back in, there was nothing that could have stopped him. I would have at least liked to see him attempt to throw a pass on the sideline.

Also, its a shame many of the lesser bowls were far more exciting than all of the BCS bowls. Best bowl game this season, Outback or GMAC? or other?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:36 AM)
McCoy seems like a good guy and all, but there is no doubt in my mind the only reason why he didn't come back was because of his NFL future. And yeah, that is the smart move in the long run, but I still feel he completely abandoned his teammates. Plus, that clip of him chit chatting with VY and smiling and joking made me sick. Seriously, your team is about to lose the NC, and your joking around? Your not in the game, but your teammates still look towards you.

And yeah, they reported he wanted to come back in but was recommended not to, but thats BS. Since the x-ray was negative, there was no medical reason that could prevent him from coming back. If he really, truly, wanted to come back in, there was nothing that could have stopped him. I would have at least liked to see him attempt to throw a pass on the sideline.

Also, its a shame many of the lesser bowls were far more exciting than all of the BCS bowls. Best bowl game this season, Outback or GMAC? or other?

Seriously? There's no way he doesn't go back into the game if is healthy enough to do so. It's the national championship game, kind of a big deal. If he was so concerned with the NFL, he would have left last year.

I don't see how you can say nothing could have stopped him. If you can't feel your arm, kind of hard to throw a football. Just my guess. What do you want him to do, throw left handed? That would really help lead the team.

I'm sure he loved watching his freshman QB and entire offense look like s***, not wanting to "risk it."

Wow.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:43 AM)
Seriously? There's no way he doesn't go back into the game if is healthy enough to do so. It's the national championship game, kind of a big deal. If he was so concerned with the NFL, he would have left last year.

I don't see how you can say nothing could have stopped him. If you can't feel your arm, kind of hard to throw a football. Just my guess. What do you want him to do, throw left handed? That would really help lead the team.

I'm sure he loved watching his freshman QB and entire offense look like s***, not wanting to "risk it."

Wow.

The reason why didnt leave because everyone and their mother knew he would be lucky to get into the 3rd round last year. This year, he'd be lucky to make it into the 2nd.

Also, I didn't see one attempt of him on the sideline trying to throw a ball. Also, the x-ray was negative, his dad says it wasn't serious, and it was reported to be a mild sprain. You can play through a mild sprain.

I guarantee the reason he did not come back into the game is because he thinks he can be a first round draft pick (he wont be), and an injury would only hurt his chances.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
This is a ridiculous start. Bama's absolutely idiotic fake punt on 4th and 23 in their own end? McCoy being out. That absurd short kick onside recovery. Wow.

Are you kidding me? If the punter makes a good throw, thats a first down and plus some. It was a good aggressive call on the most important game of most of those players lives. It was open, Texas wasnt ready... the punter just p**** armed the throw.

The fake wasnt called from the sidelines on that play. A lot of teams have fake punt plays when the gunner is left by himself. The Alabama gunner wasnt even looking for the pass which tells you that there was a mix up with the punter somewhere.