Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:56 AM)
The reason why didnt leave because everyone and their mother knew he would be lucky to get into the 3rd round last year. This year, he'd be lucky to make it into the 2nd.

Also, I didn't see one attempt of him on the sideline trying to throw a ball. Also, the x-ray was negative, his dad says it wasn't serious, and it was reported to be a mild sprain. You can play through a mild sprain.

I guarantee the reason he did not come back into the game is because he thinks he can be a first round draft pick (he wont be), and an injury would only hurt his chances.

He would have played if he could, end of story. He wanted to win a national championship and the only way to do so was if he was playing. The injury might not be structurally serious, but it was enough to knock him out of the game. What the hell would throwing a ball would have done besides satisfy you?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:59 AM)
Are you kidding me? If the punter makes a good throw, thats a first down and plus some. It was a good aggressive call on the most important game of most of those players lives. It was open, Texas wasnt ready... the punter just p**** armed the throw.

That was a terrible, brutal, dumb call. 4th and 23 on your own 20 does not make for a good fake punt call that early in the game. Just stupid. This isn't a video game. "Most important game" makes it even more ridiculous.

It wasn't open, a guy got over there right away, AND picked it. If anything, Texas baited them into it. You don't think they know the chance of a fake when not initially covering him right on the line?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:18 AM)
I just feel as though the defense wasn't on its toes and didn't play as hard after McCoy came out. I also got the feeling that a lot of the players, and probably Saban, didn't feel as good about the win knowing McCoy didn't play.

Here's my question: would everyone feel the same way had McCoy got hurt in practice before the game and didn't play at all?

If McCoy was hurt beforehand giving even just a couple days of prep for Gilbert I would have a slightly different feeling. The emotions of losing your star QB can devastate a team (see 24-0 2nd quarter) and the freshman that came in started 4-20 before settling in. I also highly doubt the Bama players felt too bad about it (see celebration penalty on pick 6 and Ingram constantly showing his gloves off). They felt fine about it.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:59 AM)
Are you kidding me? If the punter makes a good throw, thats a first down and plus some. It was a good aggressive call on the most important game of most of those players lives. It was open, Texas wasnt ready... the punter just p**** armed the throw.

That's the problem. It was a punter trying to make a 20+ yard throw. It's an inexcusable call, no matter where it came from.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 02:06 AM)
That was a terrible, brutal, dumb call. 4th and 23 on your own 20 does not make for a good fake punt call that early in the game. Just stupid. This isn't a video game. "Most important game" makes it even more ridiculous.

It wasn't open, a guy got over there right away, AND picked it. If anything, Texas baited them into it. You don't think they know the chance of a fake when not initially covering him right on the line?

You're freaking delirious. It was a brilliant call and the only reason it was intercepted was because the punter underthrew him by a mile. If he gets the ball to him, he's got a first down and more, possibly WAY more. If they've practiced it before and they knew the punter could make the throw, then I still think its brilliant. If not, then it's utterly idiotic. You make it seem as if the guy made an easy interception. He still had to jump backwards to make it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:27 AM)
Alabama hid behind the lead and a running game, against a freshman QB and no running game, and still barely won.

Uh...they ran for 205 yards...On 51 carries. Yes some of those were sacks. But I wouldn't say it was "running all over them, easily" nor "gashing them all night," really. Texas let up the one huge run, other than that they gave up about 4.4 yards a carry. They didn't throw the ball. Of course they had some yards on the ground. Alabama didn't do much on offense the entire night save one play.

Alabama rushed for over 200 yards on a very good defense, how many yards does a team need rushing to be considered running all over someone? 300? 400? They had two players go over 100 yards..

They didn't throw the ball because they didn't need to.. and most of that was because the running game didn't force them to.. And since when is 37-21 barely winning? They clearly took their foot off the gas in the second half, and rightfully so due to the situation..

And I don't know why everyone seems to think Texas would have won with Colt McCoy, he was not very good in his only big games this season..

Oklahoma - 127 yards 1 TD 1 INT

Oklahoma State - 171 yards 1 TD 0 INT

Nebraska - 184 yards 0 TD 3 INT

Alabama clearly being the best out of that bunch, I don't think he would have made that much of a difference..

Yes, its definitely possible that Texas might have won if McCoy played. But the fact is that the #1 rushing defense in the nation gave up 205 yards rushing in the game. And in the first half right after their star QB got injured, they gave up a 57-yard drive that was mostly Ingram running all over them and then a 49-yard rushing TD to a freshman. After the injury, their D had to step up to keep them in the game and they didn't.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 03:26 AM)
You're freaking delirious. It was a brilliant call and the only reason it was intercepted was because the punter underthrew him by a mile. If he gets the ball to him, he's got a first down and more, possibly WAY more. If they've practiced it before and they knew the punter could make the throw, then I still think its brilliant. If not, then it's utterly idiotic. You make it seem as if the guy made an easy interception. He still had to jump backwards to make it.

Again, it's the punter throwing a pass. That's part of this whole thing. Punter's generally don't have rocket arms with amazing accuracy. It was a completely unnecessary risk that early. It was snuffed out pretty easily. If your defense is so good, and you're the better team (or at least not a huge underdog), you punt the ball from your own 20. Just moronic.

Alabama was running an ultra conservative offense in the 3rd quarter because Texas couldn't move the ball. Alabama was running an ultra conservative defense in the 3rd quarter because Texas couldn't move the ball.

As soon as Texas scored a touchdown

-you saw Alabama become more aggressive with their playcalls offensively, and they started to move the ball offensively, though it ended in a punt (obviously after the Texas onside kick)

-you saw Alabama's defense becoming much more aggressive while blitzing more. Gilbert picked up said blitzes on his first drive, and moved down the field, and then got a touchdown on one of the few misplays the Bama backers made all night (one big one being the 3rd and 12 or something deep in Texas territory where Shipley was wide, wide open and Gilbert overthrew him); he didn't fare so well after the 2nd touchdown.

McCoy participating would have made this game closeR, but Bama played this game close to the vest the entire second half. They were up 3 scores, Texas couldn't move the ball, and they can run the ball; they didn't run it well in the second half, but ran it well enough to eat quite a bit of clock. Gilbert's not that good, but I don't think having McCoy in this game would have made much of a difference. It's not like McCoy plays linebacker and safety, and the Texas defense wasn't stopping the Bama rushing attack when they were actually running a bit of play action here and there. Bama ran the Wildcat like 2-3 times, and Texas couldn't stop that; Texas really couldn't stop runs to the outside; Texas couldn't hold runs up the middle (from Ingram) to less than 2-4 yards. Texas had absolutely no shot in this game. Bama rolled, and would have rolled if McCoy was in.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 01:06 AM)
He would have played if he could, end of story. He wanted to win a national championship and the only way to do so was if he was playing. The injury might not be structurally serious, but it was enough to knock him out of the game. What the hell would throwing a ball would have done besides satisfy you?

The announcers said the coaches kept him out for his future, meaning he could have played if this was his sophmore year, but since he's got the draft in 3 months, they didn't feel like chancing it.

And I think McCoy has got to be one of the more overrated QB's we've seen in the last decade or so. Yeah, throw the stats around like he's something great, but in nearly every big game I've seen him play in (usually only national matchups), he sucks.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
Alabama was running an ultra conservative offense in the 3rd quarter because Texas couldn't move the ball. Alabama was running an ultra conservative defense in the 3rd quarter because Texas couldn't move the ball.

As soon as Texas scored a touchdown

-you saw Alabama become more aggressive with their playcalls offensively, and they started to move the ball offensively, though it ended in a punt (obviously after the Texas onside kick)

-you saw Alabama's defense becoming much more aggressive while blitzing more. Gilbert picked up said blitzes on his first drive, and moved down the field, and then got a touchdown on one of the few misplays the Bama backers made all night (one big one being the 3rd and 12 or something deep in Texas territory where Shipley was wide, wide open and Gilbert overthrew him); he didn't fare so well after the 2nd touchdown.

McCoy participating would have made this game closeR, but Bama played this game close to the vest the entire second half. They were up 3 scores, Texas couldn't move the ball, and they can run the ball; they didn't run it well in the second half, but ran it well enough to eat quite a bit of clock. Gilbert's not that good, but I don't think having McCoy in this game would have made much of a difference. It's not like McCoy plays linebacker and safety, and the Texas defense wasn't stopping the Bama rushing attack when they were actually running a bit of play action here and there. Bama ran the Wildcat like 2-3 times, and Texas couldn't stop that; Texas really couldn't stop runs to the outside; Texas couldn't hold runs up the middle (from Ingram) to less than 2-4 yards. Texas had absolutely no shot in this game. Bama rolled, and would have rolled if McCoy was in.

Texas had the ball late down 3 with a chance to tie or win. Not sure how much "closer" McCoy would have made that - if McCoy is in, is that the end of game situation? If Alabama was that good they would have put them away and not let them have a chance to tie or win late. No way they should have been in that position and been back in the game. If they are as good as they think they should have been able to blow the doors off them.

Alabama essentially won by 3 points (one last failed possession by Texas), that's not really rolling. Again, Texas also outgained them.

Edited by IlliniKrush

You know what was pissing me off last night? Brent Musberger acting like we need to feel sorry for Mark Ingrams dad and hoping that he got to see his son before he was sentenced. f*** THAT. Im not about to feel sorry for a convict, and I dont need to be told that

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
You know what was pissing me off last night? Brent Musberger acting like we need to feel sorry for Mark Ingrams dad and hoping that he got to see his son before he was sentenced. f*** THAT. Im not about to feel sorry for a convict, and I dont need to be told that

I was thinking I hope he didnt see the game since the f***er is in prison. He shouldnt have access to TV's to watch a football game.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
What happens if Colt doesn't get hurt?

Bama’s offense really struggled. The 2nd half Gilbert played well so that may not have been too different, but the 2nd quarter lull (and that’s an understatement) from Texas wouldn’t have gone down the same. I picked Texas beforehand, but this game actually makes me MORE sure a healthy Texas team beats Bama.

Seriously, Bama is one of the worse national championship teams I've ever seen. Yes they have a good defense, but it isn't the best defense in the country or anything and they have one of the worse QB's to ever win a national title, imo.

I think Ohio State would have beaten both of these teams the way they were playing at the end of the season.

Probably not fair for me to say that of Texas, whose defense looked pretty f***ing good outside of about 3 drives all game. Especially since they didn't have McCoy.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
Bama is prolly the best defense in the nation all things considered, I don't think you can assume McCoy would light it up against them had he played the whole game..

Texas also has a very good defense and Bama ran all over them, easily, its not really a surprise that their passing game looks terrible tonight they didnt need it at all..

Sure, the game goes different with Colt in there.. but Colt doesn't play defense and Bama ran the ball anyway they wanted to. I dont think the result is any different with Colt in there, I still think Bama would have won..

Nebraska's defense is better.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 09:21 PM)
Bama scored 17 points on offense on full drives. A pick 6, a drive started at the 3 (that still took 3 tries to get in) and a meaningless last minute TD that was also on a short field. It's easy to argue Bama would still win, but to be impressed with their offensive performance? No.

There offensive performance was awful. I still don't get how they drubbed Florida. They have zero QB play and a very one dimensional offense that can be stopped by a good defense.

Florida may have beaten Cinncy (who isn't that good) but they weren't that great nor was the SEC. SEC was good but these teams weren't the goods they were made out to be.

I'm not saying Bama didn't earn there shot, but there were at least a few teams that I feel would have beaten them.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
Don't you think the injury to McCoy also throws Bama for a loop too? You've spent weeks preparing for something and a couple plays into the game, it means nothing. Obviously Gilbert isn't as talented, but it certainly had some effect on Alabama too.

Not at all. They didn't have to worry about the pass and Saban could call blitz packages that would eat Gilbert alive.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)

That is never a good call. You make a call like that, that early in the game, if you don't think you have a shot in hell to win.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
s***, I think OSU and Iowa would have competed, if not won.

That's funny.

You want to talk about Alabama's QB but yet mention Iowa? Come on. Alabama may have had a one-dimensional offense but their ground game is very, very good. Their special teams are great and their defense is upper echelon. Ohio State would have given them a game, but I doubt they win. Iowa doesnt keep it within two touchdowns. They just wouldn't score.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
Pretty cool...Herbstreit had OSU at #2 and Iowa at #4 in his pre-season 2010 rankings.

You are an idiot. You should have known to take that bet with me last night. You know what a horrific gambler I am...LMAO