Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
That's funny.

You want to talk about Alabama's QB but yet mention Iowa? Come on. Alabama may have had a one-dimensional offense but their ground game is very, very good. Their special teams are great and their defense is upper echelon. Ohio State would have given them a game, but I doubt they win. Iowa doesnt keep it within two touchdowns. They just wouldn't score.

In scout circles Stanzi is thought of as a late round draft pick with an NFL back-up future. That is better than McElroy. Yes, Stanzi isn't great, but Iowa has better wide-outs than Bama, a better tight end and a better oline.

I'm not saying Iowa wins, but there is no way they get routed by either teams and if they play a good game they might win. IN fact, I think they might win 30% of the times the teams played on a neutral field.

I'm specifically talking about Bama.

Oh and Iowa also has top special teams and an upper echelon defense. Ingram is a better back than our freshmen, clearly, but Iowa's oline is real f***ing good and has a few pro's playing on it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)
In scout circles Stanzi is thought of as a late round draft pick with an NFL back-up future. That is better than McElroy. Yes, Stanzi isn't great, but Iowa has better wide-outs than Bama, a better tight end and a better oline.

I'm not saying Iowa wins, but there is no way they get routed by either teams and if they play a good game they might win. IN fact, I think they might win 30% of the times the teams played on a neutral field.

I'm specifically talking about Bama.

Oh and Iowa also has top special teams and an upper echelon defense. Ingram is a better back than our freshmen, clearly, but Iowa's oline is real f***ing good and has a few pro's playing on it.

And clearly I am a homer, but come on, that was a dismal display by both teams. At least Texas had the excuse of not having there star QB.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
And clearly I am a homer, but come on, that was a dismal display by both teams. At least Texas had the excuse of not having there star QB.

Clearly Alabama didn't play up to their capabilities though. They made some mistakes that allowed Texas to get back in the game. But as someone else said, they played a ridiculously conservative game once they had that lead. It almost came back to bite them but I guarantee Bama plays differently (and most likely better) if McCoy doesnt get hurt. I bet during half time, with McCoy gone, 75% of that Alabama team (and coaches) thought that game was over, and it showed.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
Clearly Alabama didn't play up to their capabilities though. They made some mistakes that allowed Texas to get back in the game. But as someone else said, they played a ridiculously conservative game once they had that lead. It almost came back to bite them but I guarantee Bama plays differently (and most likely better) if McCoy doesnt get hurt. I bet during half time, with McCoy gone, 75% of that Alabama team (and coaches) thought that game was over, and it showed.

Bama doesnt get the ball as much with McCoy in nor can they run the entire game when they are behind. Of course it would have been a different game. But that doesnt mean that Bama would have unleashed this devastating passing attack that they dont have.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
Bama doesnt get the ball as much with McCoy in nor can they run the entire game when they are behind. Of course it would have been a different game. But that doesnt mean that Bama would have unleashed this devastating passing attack that they dont have.

It also doesnt mean that McCoy would have gone off like many people are saying. Especially seeing as how he didnt exactly have a great season against better defenses. I just think it's funny how so many people are so sure about what the outcome would have been and not just what it could have been had McCoy not gotten hurt.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
Good. Hopefully brings USC down a notch.

Of course he'll probably fail in Seattle and then go to some other college program people will eventually hate

Well, Kiffin will be fired by then right?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
Well, Kiffin will be fired by then right?

I'd say its more likely he goes on a big time run in a couple years and then bolts for the NFL before a serious recruiting scandal hits.

A-la Pete Carroll.

Why the hate for Pete Carroll? He's awesome. Cocky as s*** and backs it up. Plus, he has a sense of humor unlike a lot of over-the-top, too serious coaches out there. He'd be an awesome coach to play for.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
It also doesnt mean that McCoy would have gone off like many people are saying. Especially seeing as how he didnt exactly have a great season against better defenses. I just think it's funny how so many people are so sure about what the outcome would have been and not just what it could have been had McCoy not gotten hurt.

It's not about McCoy lighting it up, it's about McCoy doing better than the 4-20 start Gilbert had. 10-20 would be a bad start for McCoy and that would be a drastic improvement. That's why it's very easy to say McCoy makes them a lot better last night. He didn't need to light it up considering Texas had a late drive to take the lead with a 4-20 passing start from Gilbert.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
It's not about McCoy lighting it up, it's about McCoy doing better than the 4-20 start Gilbert had. 10-20 would be a bad start for McCoy and that would be a drastic improvement. That's why it's very easy to say McCoy makes them a lot better last night. He didn't need to light it up considering Texas had a late drive to take the lead with a 4-20 passing start from Gilbert.

No kidding, I can't believe people don't realize how big of a difference it was from going from McCoy, who was one of the most accurate passers in college football...to Gilbert, who every pass he threw in the first half looked like it was intended for an Alabama defender or a worm on the ground.

He couldn't have come in in any capacity at all? Even run an option or a shovel pass? Nothing? Hell, even a decoy. I know if I was a player on Texas, I'd still feel a bit slighted. And I know for a fact that there are at least a few guys on that team who aren't the biggest McCoy fans right now. It's going to be annoying listening to people suck his dick for a while.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
I've always hated Texas (their fanbase, mostly), but I've always liked McCoy. Gotta think Gilbert will end up being fine, too.

For a while I thought Gilbert was going to commit suicide at the half. He had to be feeling terrible.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 01:23 AM)
He couldn't have come in in any capacity at all? Even run an option or a shovel pass? Nothing? Hell, even a decoy. I know if I was a player on Texas, I'd still feel a bit slighted. And I know for a fact that there are at least a few guys on that team who aren't the biggest McCoy fans right now. It's going to be annoying listening to people suck his dick for a while.

He couldn't throw the ball 7 yards. You don't think Alabama wouldn't have realized that?