Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 11:25 PM)
Oh, so because my opinion is different than yours im "f***ing retarded."

Im sure you know exactly what was going on in Colt's mind at that moment, and IM sure you were in the locker room when everyone was discussing the matter at hand.

I never once acted like I knew for a fact McCoy sat out because of the NFL draft. However, in my opinion, hell yeah it played it a huge factor in his decision. It was HIS decision, not anyone else's, and HE chose to sit out.

No, because your opinion is so wrong its retarded. You can still have it, but its incredibly stupid. Some people probably still think the earth is flat, but hell, its their opinion.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 12:25 AM)
Oh, so because my opinion is different than yours im "f***ing retarded."

Im sure you know exactly what was going on in Colt's mind at that moment, and IM sure you were in the locker room when everyone was discussing the matter at hand.

I never once acted like I knew for a fact McCoy sat out because of the NFL draft. However, in my opinion, hell yeah it played it a huge factor in his decision. It was HIS decision, not anyone else's, and HE chose to sit out.

Well it WASN'T his decision to sit out.

link

McCoy's 'pleas' fell on deaf medical ears

Posted by John Taylor on January 9, 2010 5:52 PM ET

The subject of Colt McCoy's injury in the national championship has been the subject of a hotly contested debate not only in this lil' corner of the Internet, but across the vast expanses of the 'net and talk radio arenas.

Some people insist the Texas quarterback could've returned and played against Alabama, but didn't because he didn't want to do any damage to his NFL prospects. Some have argued that, as a football player on the biggest stage at this level, he should've returned regardless. Then there are others who insist he simply couldn't return due to the extent of what turned out to be a pinched nerve in his right (throwing) shoulder.

According to a statement from UT trainer Kenny Boyd, the latter group would be correct.

As portrayed in Boyd's statement, McCoy wanted to return, seemingly lobbied to return, but the training staff could not clear him medically for a return to the playing field.

"Colt sustained a nerve injury involving his right shoulder that prevented him from returning to the game. The injury caused numbness and weakness in his arm that prevented him from throwing with the strength or accuracy he needed," Boyd said in the statement. "He wanted to go back into the game but with the weakness he was having in the shoulder, we couldn't clear him to do that.

"The weakness in his shoulder also put him at risk of greater injury. From the time of the injury, we were continually treating and re-evaluating him, but he wasn't able to regain the strength he needed to get back on the field."

So, there you have it, right? Case closed.

For some reason, I get the feeling that, as far as some people are concerned, this is far from over and the great debate will continue on unabated.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
Well HIS decision not play was a good one since HE was struggling to throw a football 7 yards back in the tunnel.

You think McCoy chucking the ball 7 yards down field is better than what Gilbert could do? If so, you might want to give up watching sports.

McCoy is equally as good as a runner as he is as a passer... He could have still played in the game, in any small role possible. I just dont understand how you can take yourself out completely in your last collegiate game ever.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
No, because your opinion is so wrong its retarded. You can still have it, but its incredibly stupid. Some people probably still think the earth is flat, but hell, its their opinion.

So it is retarded to think that Colt's NFL future played a factor on the decision to sit out the rest of the game? OK butch, whatever you say.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
McCoy is equally as good as a runner as he is as a passer... He could have still played in the game, in any small role possible. I just dont understand how you can take yourself out completely in your last collegiate game ever.

Well it wasnt his decision.

And even if he could play with limited arm strength, one good hit and he could easily fumble the ball. You cant have a guy running around with the ball with only 1 good arm.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)
So it is retarded to think that Colt's NFL future played a factor on the decision to sit out the rest of the game? OK butch, whatever you say.

Yes, it was the fact he couldnt throw the ball across a living room that played THE factor in keeping him out of the game. There was no danger of making a pinched nerve worse and ruining his career, it was the fact he was completely useless as a QB.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)

If by NFL future, you mean his ability to play another game after that one, then yes. All the reports say that he couldn't throw the ball accurately past 7 yards, and that any more throwing that he did could have further injured his shoulder. If he can't throw, he's not going to be able to do much else. He's not Michael Vick, and that Alabama defense was strong and fast. Colt McCoy was useless after that injury.

Del Rio is apparently staying in Jacksonville. Herm Edwards and Mariucci are names now being dropped by USC fans.

Why wouldn't USC go hard for Boise State's coach? I personally think the big problem is the looming sanctions are scaring away any top notch coach.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
Del Rio is apparently staying in Jacksonville. Herm Edwards and Mariucci are names now being dropped by USC fans.

Why wouldn't USC go hard for Boise State's coach? I personally think the big problem is the looming sanctions are scaring away any top notch coach.

I was just thinking, why would any big name want to go there?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
I was just thinking, why would any big name want to go there?

Why wouldn't they come here? It's the best city in the country, the weather is perfect for sports year round, and there's no pro teams to compete with for news coverage.

Even if there are sanctions, they won't last forever.

Also, I've heard Chris Peterson (Boise) and Gary Patterson (TCU) are on the list, but the school wants a former NFL guy who's a name people (and recruits) know, so that's why they're going this route first.

I'd love Peterson or Patterson.

Edited by longshot7

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
Why wouldn't they come here? It's the best city in the country, the weather is perfect for sports year round, and there's no pro teams to compete with for news coverage.

Even if there are sanctions, they won't last forever.

Also, I've heard Chris Peterson (Boise) and Gary Patterson (TCU) are on the list, but the school wants a former NFL guy who's a name people (and recruits) know, so that's why they're going this route first.

I'd love Peterson or Patterson.

What?????????

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)

Because Dan Hawkins has massively failed at Colorado and he was the last Boise coach. USC should get someone proven they can win at a BCS school, not Boise.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
Because Dan Hawkins has massively failed at Colorado and he was the last Boise coach. USC should get someone proven they can win at a BCS school, not Boise.

Urban Meyer worked out okay for Florida (coming from Utah).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
Urban Meyer worked out okay for Florida (coming from Utah).

That was after he succeeded at Bowling Green. He did it at 2 places. USC should get a bigger coach than someone who has been a head coach at one place.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
That was after he succeeded at Bowling Green. He did it at 2 places. USC should get a bigger coach than someone who has been a head coach at one place.

Dang, the next name I was going to throw out was Brian Kelly (although we don't know what he will due at ND) but he has done it at two places and technically one of them was a BCS conference (even though it shouldn't be).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
Isnt Butch Davis at UNC?

Why would he leave for a job that has pending sanctions?

Until the NCAA investigation is over, the USC job is only so-so.

Come on....USC >>> UNC when it comes to college football. I agree the sanctions are an issue but Butch Davis would be a great hire and I think he'd take the right job (ie, a power-house Football program).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 06:13 PM)
Come on....USC >>> UNC when it comes to college football. I agree the sanctions are an issue but Butch Davis would be a great hire and I think he'd take the right job (ie, a power-house Football program).

Butch likely has less than 5 years of coaching left in him, the USC job wouldn't make much sense. Butch has serious health problems that will only get worse in time.