Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
Willingham - mediocre coaching record

Parseghian - Good at Miami (OH) but not good at Northwestern

I would say that's completely wrong. You have to factor in that Willingham and Parseghian were at Stanford and Northwestern. Those are not easy places to win and both had winning records. Willingham won a Pac-10 title. Parseghian had a winning record at NORTHWESTERN and beat Notre Dame 4 times in a row.

You can't expect stellar records from the start when you are taking mediocre programs over because there has to be turnover and development. You aren't going to win 8 wins in year one at either place. For example, Jim Harbaugh has a losing record at Stanford (17-20). You have to factor in that Stanford was 1-11 before Harbaugh was there so even 4-8 in his first year was solid improvement. Your point still stands, but I wouldn't use Willingham or Ara in your argument.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
ND needs to be on that list.

# Notre Dame has the 2nd highest winning percentage in NCAA history (.736), second only to Michigan (.737).[4][1][5]

# As of the end of the 2009 football season, Notre Dame has the 3rd most wins in NCAA history (837), trailing only Michigan (877) and Texas (845).[6] Notre Dame also has the fewest losses of any program (291) (minimum 800 games played).[6]

# Notre Dame has 102 winning seasons in 121 years of football, and only 13 losing seasons.[4]

# The football program is tied with USC for most Heisman trophy winners at seven (Ohio State has seven Heisman trophies that were won by six players).

# Notre Dame has produced more All-Americans (99), consensus All-Americans (80) and unanimous All-Americans (31) in football than any other college program.[7][8]

# Notre Dame is represented by 48 players and coaches in the College Football Hall of Fame, the most of any university.[9][10]

# Ten former players are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, second only to USC(11). Notre Dame has produced the largest number of players to go on to play in the National Football League of any program in the country. As of the 2008 NFL draft, 463 players have been drafted.[11]

Theres no question. It easily is the most pressure of any program in the country. Even though they really havent been very good for about 20 years and really racked up alot of wins extremely early on in football history a la Michigan, its still one of the most prestigious programs in the country.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
Tennessee proved they don't belong on this list by hiring a guy with a losing record at Louisiana Tech. It's a 2nd tier job. It's also hard to be an elite job when you have the 4th highest prestige (at best) in your own conference.

Tennessee hired a "guy with a losing record" because there was no one else out there this late in the game. It's absolutely a top tier job. Look at the history. There's no question it's not... If we had been smart last year and hired Brian Kelly (yes, i liked Kiffin but at the time prefered Kelly), we wouldn't be having this discussion. Don't let 1 year and an unusual circumstance fool you in thinking UT isn't a great job.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
Tennessee hired a "guy with a losing record" because there was no one else out there this late in the game. It's absolutely a top tier job. Look at the history. There's no question it's not... If we had been smart last year and hired Brian Kelly (yes, i liked Kiffin but at the time prefered Kelly), we wouldn't be having this discussion. Don't let 1 year and an unusual circumstance fool you in thinking UT isn't a great job.

Maybe, but coaches leave good programs on a moment's notice to take an elite job. Therefore I don't think it's an elite job. Kiffin wasn't really an elite hire either. Turns out he's a spectacular recruiter, but I think our definitions of elite are just different.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 03:34 AM)
Yah and didn't, a bunch of former players write to CBSSports saying how no teammates hung around James because he was a pain.

Supposedly there is some voicemails coming out that Craig James left for Leach and his assistants

Leach’s lawsuit maintains that Craig James called Tech Director of Football Operations Tommy McVay in September, “to tell him, in effect, that you coaches are crazy and you’re screwing my kid.”

Leach’s lawsuit also alleges that James called then-Tech assistant coach Lincoln Riley the same day about his son, “stating, in effect, ‘You don’t know what you’re doing. Adam James is the best player at the wide receiver position. If you’ve got the balls to call me back, and I don’t think you do, call me back.

From Matthew Mcgowan and Adam Zuvanich of the LUBBOCK AVALANCHE-JOURNAL:

(Texas Tech Attorney Charlotte) Bingham left a voicemail with one of Leach’s assistants advising him, “to the effect, ‘This thing is heating up. There are outside forces affecting this situation that I cannot control.’ “

(Mike Leach Attorney Paul) Dobrowski said he has a copy of the voicemail, but did not explain the “to the effect” clause in the court documents.

If these voicemails come out, Craig James is screwed. Bigtime. I cannot imagine how he can keep his job with ESPN after showing that poor of judgement

Edited by KyYlE23

Did Kiffin have a thing for Tennessee co-eds??

boundandbitten.com

lane-kiffin-mike-tomlin-and-david-reaves

The above photo was taken at a party in the spring. It shows Lane Kiffin, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, and Kiffin’s brother-in-law David Reaves chatting up some co-eds.

According to sources, former Tennessee head coach Lane Kiffin fraternized with co-eds often, and did more than just knock back a few beers with them.

Sources tell us that the boosters maintained a downtown apartment in Knoxville that was commonly referred to as Kiffin’s “rendezvous place.”

Sources also say that after Kiffin returned from Lexington following the Tennessee-Kentucky game, a local sports bar opened the doors for the coach, some of the boosters and several co-eds late at night. Afterward, Kiffin and a few of the boosters and co-eds left the club to continue their fun at the downtown apartment.

In an unrelated incident, we have also received information that in true Tiger Woods fashion, Kiffin was allegedly driving a vehicle provided by Lexus of Knoxville and was involved in a car accident. Several co-eds were in the car, and Kiffin — who had been drinking, was picked up by a neighbor and left the girls at the scene. The car was reportedly returned to the dealership the next day with extensive damage. (Calls to the dealership owner have not been returned)

Developing…

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
Did Kiffin have a thing for Tennessee co-eds??

boundandbitten.com

lane-kiffin-mike-tomlin-and-david-reaves

Obviously, that's Omar Epps and a Kiffin look-a-like... :P

Seriously, I honestly hadn't heard heard anything about this until the last week or so, so I'm not sure what the deal is. I kind of hope Kiffin had a thing for co-eds and gets in trouble for it as long as it doesn't affect the University at all. Anything to f*** over Lane Kiffin is okay in my book.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
If it's anything like his coaching, Tomlin will hire someone to screw her for him and he will stand there clapping and saying "Lets go!".

If it means anything to you, Tomlin is probably the best coach in the league at doing that.