Has Javy figured it out?

Princess Dye

No doubt the fact he's got an automatic out every 3 innings has helped him, but Atlanta overall was a great situation for him. He probably feels a lot more comfortable because he is a lot closer to his wife and PR now. Also, the Braves have great coaching, and pitchers seem to always have success there.

I don't think he's "figured out" a damn thing. We're not talking about a youngster that's finally put it all together (kinda like Felix Hernandez this year). Javy is about to turn 33. His ERA over the last 5 years (not including this one) is 4.50. It's at I believe 2.86 right now. Did Javy just magically become that much better? I don't think so. It was pretty predictable that he would fare a lot better in a ballpark that favors pitchers against much, much, much inferior lineups.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 05:32 AM)
Atlanta is 5.5 games out of first. We will see what happens if they are actually in contention down the stretch.

Bingo!

Using the careers of two pitchers that came through the Sox as examples:

Colon sleeps through the spring and summer and starts kicking ass in big games, Javy spends the spring and summer racking up stats.

See pitcher with high strikeouts who gives up homers in the worst-possible situation.

Take pitcher from bandbox in the AL and place in NL pitcher's park.

Watch era go down.

Still be glad he's not on your team wasting your bullpen and losing every game that counts.

I think many fans have always felt negatively about Javy because the Sox traded THE Chris Young for him and the expectations for 2006 were so great.

For a player like Javy who has a tendency to have 1 bad inning or 1 bad stretch, moving to the NL is huge because the pitcher can be an automatic out and rally killer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
Atlanta should move him to someone in the race to grab a piece. Right now.

im surprised we havent heard a thing about them trying to trade him since the braves obviously arent winning that division. he has an era under 3