BA wants to be traded

TheChrisSamsa

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

07/23/09 1:43 PM ET

CHICAGO -- Brian Anderson wants to be traded.

Almost immediately after reading this sentence, one can imagine the collective rolling of the eyes or snickers coming from the general White Sox fan base. Through his .225 career average over 782 at-bats, Anderson hasn't exactly put himself in position to make demands.

Before passing judgment on Anderson, though, remember this is not a five-year veteran, hitting just .238 with 13 RBIs in 2009, demanding a move because he doesn't like the organization, or because he has been treated unfairly.

Instead, this is a story about a 27-year-old, a former 15th-overall selection for the White Sox in the 2003 First-Year Player Draft, who wants a full-out, full-time chance to prove himself. Anderson just doesn't see that situation playing out with the White Sox, a sentiment he expressed to Ken Williams during a constructive phone call with the general manager after Anderson was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte on Monday.

"I genuinely believe that if they are presented with the right opportunity, if they could get something fair, they will give me the opportunity to go play elsewhere," Anderson told MLB.com late Wednesday night. "I had a very good talk with Kenny and got on the same page.

"A guy at my age, I told him, and not that I've turned heads by any means offensively, but I need to play every day and be an everyday big-leaguer. I have more to offer. If it's not with the White Sox, then maybe it really is time for a change."

Anderson was sent to Charlotte prior to Monday's series opener against the Rays in order to make room for All-Star left fielder Carlos Quentin, who returned from his Minor League rehab assignment and was activated from the disabled list. The White Sox moved Scott Podsednik from left field to center, as fully expected, but kept left-handed hitting Dewayne Wise in reserve over Anderson.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen felt that he could do more things with Wise, but the team also risked losing him because Wise was out of options. When asked Monday if he thought Anderson needed a change of scenery, Guillen responded that it was time for Anderson "to start playing better."

It's a sentiment which Anderson understands and wholeheartedly agrees. While Anderson wants a daily chance to play somewhere in the Majors, whether he's 0-for-20 or 10-for-20 at the dish, he readily acknowledges that the situation he's in stems from his own shortcomings at the plate.

"Nobody goes up and bats for me," Anderson said. "I get a hit or I get out. Once I step into the box, it's all on me from there. I'm not pointing a finger at anyone else but myself.

"At the same time, I thought to myself, 'What's the best-case scenario with the White Sox?' I go to Triple-A, do well and come back up in the same role.

"As much as this is a team game, I have to look out for myself from a career standpoint. So, it's best to make a change and move on and hopefully start fresh somewhere else and part waves respectfully. But I love those guys and wish them the best."

Of course, Anderson remains a full-fledged member of the White Sox organization. He reports to the Knights on Thursday, carrying nothing but a positive attitude, knowing he'll be next in line for a return to the Majors if something happens to a White Sox outfielder.

The hope for Anderson is that he's starting somewhere else in the next few weeks. But Williams also hopes that Anderson takes full advantage of this latest demotion.

"He understands that he's kind of at the crossroads, but he also understands I still have a tremendous amount of faith in his ability," said Williams, who deferred to his coaching staff's opinions when making the roster move. "I really believe that if he can just get back to having fun and let all that athletic ability come out, you are not talking about a bench or role player.

"You are talking about an everyday guy, I still believe that. He has to get back to how he came into the organization, kind of care free, and let the ability supersede the technical and fundamental parts.

"That's where you will see great success for him. His talent will just flow. Whatever the pressures have been, being a first-round pick, the great expectations, Brian hasn't done what he wanted. So, let it all go, go out and have fun and let the talent come out. It's in there, and we're not giving up on him."

I'd be bummed to see him go, as I really like him as a player, but I can understand why he wants out. He could be a very capable starter on another team.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't believe they kept Dwayne Wise over BA, but whatever... I'd like to see him get a shot on another team, even though I'd miss him from ours. It's not like he's ever going to get a chance here, so give him a shot with some crap team like the Nationals.

"White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen felt that he could do more things with Wise, but the team also risked losing him because Wise was out of options. When asked Monday if he thought Anderson needed a change of scenery, Guillen responded that it was time for Anderson "to start playing better."

Ah, I love you Oz, but this is ridiculous.

I get this. Anderson has played scarcely over a few seasons and feels he needs to play everyday. He's at least taking the right approach, going through the organization and asking out, but couldn't you wait until after the season comes to an end to tell the Sox this?

I realize you were just sent down for Wise, but the Sox are in a pennant race and I'm pretty sure if you produce down in AAA you'll be back up with a shot at being on the post-season roster.

Where in MLB would Anderson go that he would be the starting CF? Seriously.

Any team that he could go to, he would be in the exact same position he is here...

A reserve outfielder waiting for a starter to get injured, so he'd get enough playing time to hopefully prove himself.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
I get this. Anderson has played scarcely over a few seasons and feels he needs to play everyday. He's at least taking the right approach, going through the organization and asking out, but couldn't you wait until after the season comes to an end to tell the Sox this?

I realize you were just sent down for Wise, but the Sox are in a pennant race and I'm pretty sure if you produce down in AAA you'll be back up with a shot at being on the post-season roster.

not with Ozzie at the helm

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
if they kept D Wise on the roster instead of me I would also want to be traded....

That's what I think? It was another prospect who was more touted than BA at this point, I'd be rolling my eyes at this. But it's Wise that was chosed over him and it doesn't make sense.

If BA went somewhere else, I would pull for him unless he is playing against us.

brian anderson has a .225/.288/.364 line in 782 career major league ABs. 782! people still treat the guy like he's never gotten a shot at success but thats not true at all really...he's a good defensive player, probably better than good...but he's not a starting calibur major league player...so if we can get anything of value for him, i'd be happy

Sorry BA, you've played everyday for long stretches and still couldnt produce, I dont think its playing time as much as its your approach, your swing and your strike zone judgement. Be happy you can have a career as a 4th OF'er in the majors.

The guy can't hit...

He's a defensive replacement. He's got decent power if you hit him against the right people. Part of the reason why BA did not succeed this year was because Ozzie kept on using him against left handed pitchers. He was hitting around .130 against them...

"start playing better"

Anderson has had several chances to prove himself and he just didn't do it. A-Row was basically traded because the organization believed that Anderson could do the job. In 2006, he posted a -11.4 VORP (where he was a huge hole in the lineup) and had -5.8 VORP this year.

The problem is both him and Wise should not be on the roster until they both can at least provide league average play.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
Where in MLB would Anderson go that he would be the starting CF? Seriously.

Any team that he could go to, he would be in the exact same position he is here...

A reserve outfielder waiting for a starter to get injured, so he'd get enough playing time to hopefully prove himself.

You will hear responses from 2 camps on here.

1. Will agree with you

2. The other will blame his career on Ozzie.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
brian anderson has a .225/.288/.364 line in 782 career major league ABs. 782! people still treat the guy like he's never gotten a shot at success but thats not true at all really...he's a good defensive player, probably better than good...but he's not a starting calibur major league player...so if we can get anything of value for him, i'd be happy

He really hasn't under Ozzie. I mean, come on, he's gotten benched and sent down this season in favor of Dewayne f'n Wise. There's no reason why he shouldn't have been our every-day CF for most of this season (until Pods crowded him out). And even then, he should've stayed on the 25-man roster.

I agree that Anderson probably isn't a starting ML center fielder. But at the very least, he'd be a good fourth outfielder on most teams and an excellent defensive replacement.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
He really hasn't under Ozzie. I mean, come on, he's gotten benched and sent down this season in favor of Dewayne f'n Wise. There's no reason why he shouldn't have been our every-day CF for most of this season (until Pods crowded him out). And even then, he should've stayed on the 25-man roster.

I agree that Anderson probably isn't a starting ML center fielder. But at the very least, he'd be a good fourth outfielder on most teams and an excellent defensive replacement.

anderson had every opportunity to be the everyday CF when quentin went down, but he didnt get it done. He had the opportunity, but he didn't seize it. He's been benched and sent down because when he played everyday, he sucked. the guy simply can't hit major league pitching

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
anderson had every opportunity to be the everyday CF when quentin went down, but he didnt get it done. He had the opportunity, but he didn't seize it. He's been benched and sent down because when he played everyday, he sucked. the guy simply can't hit major league pitching

Look around. Who's disputing this anymore?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
Sorry BA, you've played everyday for long stretches and still couldnt produce, I dont think its playing time as much as its your approach, your swing and your strike zone judgement. Be happy you can have a career as a 4th OF'er in the majors.

There in lies the problem...he should be a 4th OF.....the WHITE SOX 4th OF. He should not have been demoted over wise, that's really all there is to it.

I honestly think that all the BA-fans out there-- giving him undeserved ovations-- have given him delusions of grandeur.

Whether or not we can call this a trade request, I think he is just wildly off if he thinks he's an everyday player. Even really bad NL teams, you cant assume they wouldnt rather just live thru the growing pains of a younger player.

Brian had tons of at-bats, he's had his chance. I still cant figure why people think its this huge insult that the Sox kept a guy thats a better PR, and had some clutch PH stats last year. And a postseason clutch moment as well.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
Look around. Who's disputing this anymore?

If people are saying its a huge crime that he was sent down, they are implying that he's near starting material.

If we all agree he's a defensive replacement OF, then there should be no crime that a team would keep a PR instead of him.

People are saying he should be starting somewhere else. Well we've had an opening at his position for awhile now. If he cant get it done here, it wont happen in the NL either.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
I still cant figure why people think its this huge insult that the Sox kept a guy thats a better PR, and had some clutch PH stats last year. And a postseason clutch moment as well.

Because those "clutch" stats last year were complete luck, and not what you can expect. More times than not, good hitters are good in important situations. The same goes for bad hitters, they aren't miraculously good in important situations. Wise just happened to walk into a few last year and because of that, he's getting paid a major league salary to have a sub .600 OPS. It's sad, really.

Edited by Felix