BA wants to be traded

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
If people are saying its a huge crime that he was sent down, they are implying that he's near starting material.

If we all agree he's a defensive replacement OF, then there should be no crime that a team would keep a PR for him.

People are saying he should be starting somewhere else. Well we've had an opening at his position for awhile now. If he cant get it done here, it wont happen in the NL either.

No, they're implying that DeWayne Wise is terrible at baseball. If you really want a DeWayne Wise type of player, every organization probably has about 5 of them in their farm system. No, Brian has NOT stepped up and claimed the job. But Wise has, by being demonstrably worse?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
If people are saying its a huge crime that he was sent down, they are implying that he's near starting material.

If we all agree he's a defensive replacement OF, then there should be no crime that a team would keep a PR instead of him.

People are saying he should be starting somewhere else. Well we've had an opening at his position for awhile now. If he cant get it done here, it wont happen in the NL either.

But we don't need just a PR. We need a f***ing defensive replacement for our disgrace of an outfield in the 8th/9th. And who fits the category of a decent runner and a rock solid defender? It aint Wise.

I personally think pegging Wise as a bad defensive player is a creation of these boards.

In close games, PR matters more than the difference in defense between Wise and BA. That skill is more likely to lead to a win.

If Wise was a bad CF, I would agree with you guys. I dont think he is, however. We always hear about how bad he is there but the evidence lacks.

Our bench does not have fast IFs. We need the PR skills.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
anderson had every opportunity to be the everyday CF when quentin went down, but he didnt get it done. He had the opportunity, but he didn't seize it.

The opportunity was gift-wrapped and given to Wise after Anderson had a better Spring Training. The opportunity to be the 4th outfielder was again handed to Wise when Quentin returned.

As bad as Anderson is at the plate, he still trumps Wise's pathetic .562 OPS. He's also vastly superior defensively to Wise.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
Because those "clutch" stats last year were complete luck, and not what you can expect. More times than not, good hitters are good in important situations. The same goes for bad hitters, they aren't miraculously good in important situations. Wise just happened to walk into a few last year and because of that, he's getting paid a major league salary to have a sub .600 OPS. It's sad, really.

Is it easier to run into one with Wise's short swing or BA's long one ?

Yea, I'm pumped lets do this!!

BA v. Wise Pt 913980 !!!

I think Ozzie looks at it this way.

I need a pinch runner. I need a backup CF that is better defensively than Pods.

Unless I want to remake my IF bench completely, I have to do this all in one position.

So the choice is Wise. I think if we still had a Willie Harris type IF, then BA would be the 4th OF.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
I personally think pegging Wise as a bad defensive player is a creation of these boards.

In close games, PR matters more than the difference in defense between Wise and BA. That skill is more likely to lead to a win.

If Wise was a bad CF, I would agree with you guys. I dont think he is, however. We always hear about how bad he is there but the evidence lacks.

Our bench does not have fast IFs. We need the PR skills.

And I think the implication that Anderson can't run well enough to be a PR is a creation of people that don't like him (in these arguments, people pretend to have never read my previous posts, but for the record I've said several times that Wise isn't as bad a CF as he is made out to be). He can't run as well as Wise but he can run. It's not like we're talking about Jermaine Dye here.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
And still, the BA apologists remain resolute.

Just trade him already KW, so we can get a semblance of realism back on this board!

What the hell? Who's apologizing for BA? Even he isn't apologizing for himself. God damn do I hate any topic having to do with Anderson and this is exactly why.

Edited by lostfan

Is it possible to think that yes, he's right and he might do well if he had a legit, long term shot where he was treated as the starter and had legit major work with a pitching coach...and he's also done absolutely nothing to deserve that shot and I can't figure out why any team out there would give it to him?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
And I think the implication that Anderson can't run well enough to be a PR is a creation of people that don't like him (in these arguments, people pretend to have never read my previous posts, but for the record I've said several times that Wise isn't as bad a CF as he is made out to be). He can't run as well as Wise but he can run. It's not like we're talking about Jermaine Dye here.

I think that makes my point perfectly. And yes I remember you being kind of anti-both in the past.

But what we have is a modest gap between BA defense and Wise defense.

A modest gap some might say between Wise and BA running, taking a base in the 9th.

So we are choosing between two modest gaps. I agree with you.

That's why I wouldnt be up in arms if BA was the choice, but why I think it's hilarious that people treat the recent roster move that DID happen as if it were Madoff The Sequel.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)
And still, the BA apologists remain resolute.

Just trade him already KW, so we can get a semblance of realism back on this board!

BA did nothing to earn the 4th OF role. No one is denying that. The point is that Wise has done even less than him, and yet he still is given the benefit of the doubt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
Is it possible to think that yes, he's right and he might do well if he had a legit, long term shot where he was treated as the starter and had legit major work with a pitching coach...and he's also done absolutely nothing to deserve that shot and I can't figure out why any team out there would give it to him?

No, your first sentence means you're a BA fanboy right out of the gate.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
What the hell? Who's apologizing for BA? Even he isn't apologizing for himself. God damn do I hate any topic having to do with Anderson and this is exactly why.

I went a long time without clicking any thread about BA. I don't know why I bothered to read this thread, but I'm ashamed of myself for doing it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
No, your first sentence means you're a BA fanboy right out of the gate.

The thing is

if someone comes out and states that 800 at-bats isnt a fair chance, there's the type of person that will get angry at how much bias that appears to show towards one player.

Whether it's accurate or not.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)

You're kidding right? There's already several comments on here clearly stating or directly implying that Ozzie screwed him up.

I'm done with it FOREVER. Just trade him and make it go away.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
I think that makes my point perfectly. And yes I remember you being kind of anti-both in the past.

But what we have is a modest gap between BA defense and Wise defense.

A modest gap some might say between Wise and BA running, taking a base in the 9th.

So we are choosing between two modest gaps. I agree with you.

That's why I wouldnt be up in arms if BA was the choice, but why I think it's hilarious that people treat the recent roster move that DID happen as if it were Madoff The Sequel.

The gap between Wise and BA on the basepaths is slightly in favor of Wise (Anderson is fast, Wise is faster)

The gap in hitting between Wise and BA is slightly in favor of BA (this year, and going back to the end of last year)

The gap in fielding favors BA (not really sure how this is debatable)

The gap in plate discipline substantially favors BA (BA learned how to draw walks, Wise gets walked when the pitcher throws 4 balls at him)

The gap in "clutch hitting" or "doing the little things" is either a push or slightly favors Wise - both are terrible fundamental players and I'd hate to have to rely on either to deliver for me

...all of the above considered I don't see how the advantage Wise offers on the basepaths outweighs everything else. At the end of the day we have a choice between below average player and one who doesn't belong on most MLB rosters.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
The gap between Wise and BA on the basepaths is slightly in favor of Wise (Anderson is fast, Wise is faster)

The gap in hitting between Wise and BA is slightly in favor of BA (this year, and going back to the end of last year)

The gap in fielding favors BA (not really sure how this is debatable)

The gap in plate discipline substantially favors BA (BA learned how to draw walks, Wise gets walked when the pitcher throws 4 balls at him)

The gap in "clutch hitting" or "doing the little things" is either a push or slightly favors Wise - both are terrible fundamental players and I'd hate to have to rely on either to deliver for me

...all of the above considered I don't see how the advantage Wise offers on the basepaths outweighs everything else. At the end of the day we have a choice between below average player and one who doesn't belong on most MLB rosters.

Would you say this year that in situations (especially recently, which sadly is what counts on this earth...what-have-you-done-for-me-lately)......... Wise has delivered in recent weeks, whereas BA in his last consistent stretch of getting on the field was mired in a slump?

"delivered" meaning at least a little. which is the most we can hope from these guys with the bat.

The thing is i think you throw batting out because these guys arent going to play much. It's defense vs. PR for the most part.

Edited by Princess Dye

I haven't read all of these posts but here's my .02:

BA has every reason to ask to be traded. I don't blame him. But the deal is, if Kenny can find a defense replacement that's fast and younger with some upside...Dweezy is gone too. Then the Wise over BA argument goes out the window.

Bottom line: Good luck BA, wherever you go...I hope we can get a high upside high-A player for ya!