Dbacks, O's, Braves Scout Sox; Why?

Chisoxfn

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caught this while going through Buehrle Coverage. Fregosi was at this game too

"Jim Fregosi played 18 seasons in the big leagues as an infielder with the Angels, Mets, Rangers and Pirates. He either played or was on the bench for five no-hitters, three thrown by teammates (Clyde Wright, Jim Busby and Jim Colborn) and two thrown against his team (Earl Wilson and Bill Stoneman).

Fregosi, now a special assignment scout for the Atlanta Braves, was in the stands Thursday at Chicago’s U.S. Cellular Field. No, he said, he can’t imagine a better play has ever been made in a perfect game.

“You know why?” he said, laughing. “Because he caught it twice" http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Akcn...o&type=lgns

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
Just this morning.

I wonder who KW offered. . .

Seriously is there a guy you wouldn't give up in farm for Haren? They could have there pick of 4 for all i care. Haren is a stud!

Edited by GreatScott82

I am very leery of trading any position players (even prospects) for starting pitchers. Crazy things happen way too often, if we want to trade young pitching for established pitching I'm all for it... but not willing to sell the farm on position guys we could need in the coming seasons all for a very risky (and expensive) player. Viciedo still has that potential to complete a very solid young IF and Flowers could end up being a very valuable 20 HR/.350 OBP catcher for us when AJ is finished playing.

Not too keen on making a big deal this year, I feel really good with where the team is at right now with Pods and Beckham emerging the way they have.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 03:52 AM)
I am very leery of trading any position players (even prospects) for starting pitchers. Crazy things happen way too often, if we want to trade young pitching for established pitching I'm all for it... but not willing to sell the farm on position guys we could need in the coming seasons all for a very risky (and expensive) player. Viciedo still has that potential to complete a very solid young IF and Flowers could end up being a very valuable 20 HR/.350 OBP catcher for us when AJ is finished playing.

Not too keen on making a big deal this year, I feel really good with where the team is at right now with Pods and Beckham emerging the way they have.

I am actually in full agreement with this. I don't think they'll stay quiet though. I could very seriously see the Sox adding a 3Bman, moving Beckham to 2B for the rest of the season (and perhaps for the next 2 and a half years or more), and then maybe a smaller addition or two too, like perhaps a reliever and some more bench help. I think they'll be active, but they won't be going after Halladay or anything of the ilk.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
Would you guys do Richard/Poreda/Hudson/Flowers/Shelby (or Fields or Anderson) for Haren?

I would. Would the Dbacks?

In a heartbeat.

And I really doubt it.

I'd give up anyone in the minors for Haren. Like I've said about Halladay, he instantly makes us a World Series contender. No doubt.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
Yeesh, Haren would be amazing. Gotta figure he'd cost something along the lines of Poreda, Flowers, Hudson, Getz, Richard and probably more though.

ALL those guys for 1 pitcher? you are all f*cking nuts. When it comes to us tryingto get another teams established players, it takes every damn prospect we get, and then some. However, state that we may be interested in anyone else's prospect, and people here want to trade our whole damn infield for him. Hell with that. Richards has proved he can pitch in the majors, albeit not at the level of Haren or Halliday. But he is better than half the pitchers other teams have, that in itself is valuable. Poreda still has potential to be special, and the other position players we will NEED shortly. You can have all #1's on the mound, but unless they pitch no hitters all the time and strike everyone out, you still need people to score runs and catch the ball. Maybe 3 of those guys listed, but not 6.

Dan Haren is a special pitcher, but we need to toe the line between going all in and being a bit cautious. We have a lot of tradable assets, and while it’s important to not fall too in love with any prospect, a package of great magnitude could do more harm then good for us.

It is EXTREMELY rare for teams like ours who draft late in the first round and are mostly inactive in international free agency to develop a pitcher to at least the AA level who on potential alone is worth being the centerpiece in a deal for someone like Haren. And if we did have a Phil Hughes or a Clay Buchholz or a Clayton Kershaw, etc. would anyone here want to deal him? Probably not.

Maybe if we'd have kept DLS and DLS had never gotten hurt, and if he also dominated AA while showing better command of his slider/slurve or whatever it was, THEN maybe that's someone we could have built a Haren deal around. But since we have a very hard time developing - again at least to the AA level - the type of starting pitching prospects that every single scout looks at and says "potential ace," we're going to have to continue basing major deals off of positional talent. And yes, maybe dealing these guys will hurt us, but you're still talking about dealing unknown commodities for proven success, and I never have a problem with that unless we're either overpaying for someone or acquiring a piece that is more of a luxury than a need. As it stands for me, the Brandon Allen for Pena trade is an example of overpaying for a luxury. However, dealing the farm for Haren gives us an ace at tremendous cost savings and also sets up the 1-4 of our rotation for several years ahead.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 11:17 PM)
That means either Mora or Sherrill.

Hopefully not. If Baez comes cheap and we're trading Dotel then I really like that move though.

Deal off Dotel for a couple pretty good prospects, then acquire Baez for a couple mediocre prospects.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

According to Cowley today, there were rumors that the sox are still trying to acquire a front line SP with Gavin Floyd and minor leaguers. Only a guy like Dan Haren would make sense to include Gavin in a deal.

The Dbacks would save $25 mill over the next 4 years, as Haren is owed $49.25 through 2013, and Gavin is owed $24.25 over that same time.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...soxnt25.article

Edited by beck72

So, if Floyd was part of a deal for Haren, who else would likely be needed to add to the package? Floyd, Viciedo, Poreda, plus another prospect?

If reports are true that the Sox were rebuffed twice already for Haren, Floyd is likely part of the 3rd deal offered to them.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
Why? The odds of anything he says being even remotely true are very low.

Cowley says there are rumblings around the clubhouse about Cliff Lee possibly coming here. But he doesn't think that will happen due to the divisional rivary aspect.

He did say there might be something about the Dan Haren rumor. Mentioned that Gavin Floyd will likely be the centerpiece to a package sent there. Very interesting if KW is going after Haren.

I wonder if this deal would be to accomodate Freddy so he could get his #34 back!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
Cowley says there are rumblings around the clubhouse about Cliff Lee possibly coming here. But he doesn't think that will happen due to the divisional rivary aspect.

He did say there might be something about the Dan Haren rumor. Mentioned that Gavin Floyd will likely be the centerpiece to a package sent there. Very interesting if KW is going after Haren.

I wonder if this deal would be to accomodate Freddy so he could get his #34 back!

Yeah, so Cowley is just blowing smoke out his ass. Williams and company have never made a big trade within the division, and the only team they've ever traded with is Kansas City. There is no way that they'd want to ship prospects that they could end up playing 18 times a year, and there is no way that Cleveland wants to face Lee 6 times before he becomes a free agent.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 05:00 AM)
According to Cowley today, there were rumors that the sox are still trying to acquire a front line SP with Gavin Floyd and minor leaguers. Only a guy like Dan Haren would make sense to include Gavin in a deal.

The Dbacks would save $25 mill over the next 4 years, as Haren is owed $49.25 through 2013, and Gavin is owed $24.25 over that same time.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...soxnt25.article

The Sox won't deal Floyd. They'd deal Danks before Floyd because Gavin is actually signed and cost controled.

Edit: Dan Haren might be the one guy they'd deal Floyd for.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
Yeah, so Cowley is just blowing smoke out his ass. Williams and company have never made a big trade within the division, and the only team they've ever traded with is Kansas City. There is no way that they'd want to ship prospects that they could end up playing 18 times a year, and there is no way that Cleveland wants to face Lee 6 times before he becomes a free agent.

I doubt Kenny would think twice about sending a few prospects to a division rival if it meant landing Cliff Lee and his fiscally accommodating contract ($9M team option for next year). I definitely think Shapiro would be more hesitant to make such a deal (assuming he sees his club at a competitor next year).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
The Sox won't deal Floyd. They'd deal Danks before Floyd because Gavin is actually signed and cost controled.

I actually think it's vice versa as Danks, IMO, they are higher on, and who has more upside. Not to mention he and his brother both fired Boras so I doubt he'll be a problem to sign long term.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
I actually think it's vice versa as Danks, IMO, they are higher on, and who has more upside. Not to mention he and his brother both fired Boras so I doubt he'll be a problem to sign long term.

Well Danks turned down a simlar deal to what Floyd accepted.