Dbacks, O's, Braves Scout Sox; Why?

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
Well Danks turned down a simlar deal to what Floyd accepted.

Meh.. that was to buy out their arb. years. Quentin also did the same thing and turned it down. Hell when Floyd was struggling ealry, alot of posters here thought that deal looked brutal cause of one good year.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
I doubt Kenny would think twice about sending a few prospects to a division rival if it meant landing Cliff Lee and his fiscally accommodating contract ($9M team option for next year). I definitely think Shapiro would be more hesitant to make such a deal (assuming he sees his club at a competitor next year).

so, my scenario still holds true. I still win.

Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse tweets that the Dodgers "are in hard on" Orioles closer George Sherrill. The O's, in turn, have been looking at LHP prospect Scott Elbert, "but have reservations about him." Elbert missed just about the entire 2007 season with shoulder surgery, but has recovered nicely to strike out 20 batters in 17.1 big league innings.

Okay, you can officially cross off Sherrill because it makes no sense for us to give up value that of Elbert (probably more) for Sherrill.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
Okay, you can officially cross off Sherrill because it makes no sense for us to give up value that of Elbert (probably more) for Sherrill.

This should come as a surprise to no one. Of course they're going to be looking for a big return on Sherrill, he's proved to be a damn good closer in the American League. He NEVER made any sense for the Sox.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
I understand that. But let's not semi-gut the farm for relievers. I imagine Qualls wouldn't come cheap.

Well, a lot of people think the Pena-Allen trade was an olive branch gift after the Quentin trade (like Iguchi after the Garcia trade), so maybe Qualls will come cheap as a make up for the Pena-Allen trade.

This whole thread is "mind-bottling".... The DBags pen has been atrocious this year...so we take 2 of their relievers?!?!?....K. And I really have a hard time believing they'd deal Haren...especially given the condition that Webb's shoulder is currently. That is unless they want to completely drive away whatever fan base they've managed to hang on to.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)
This whole thread is "mind-bottling".... The DBags pen has been atrocious this year...so we take 2 of their relievers?!?!?....K. And I really have a hard time believing they'd deal Haren...especially given the condition that Webb's shoulder is currently. That is unless they want to completely drive away whatever fan base they've managed to hang on to.

The Padres have the worst offense in the majors, does that mean you wouldn't want Adrian Gonzalez? The Indians have maybe the worst starting rotation in the AL, does that mean you wouldn't want Cliff Lee? See the flaw in your logic?

I was in the Metrodome last night and a guy told me Garland to the White Sox with Poreda to AZ. Straight up makes zero sense, and I have no idea his source, but it would have to include others IMO. With Colon experiencing elbow issues it could be something that at least partially happens.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
I was in the Metrodome last night and a guy told me Garland to the White Sox with Poreda to AZ. Straight up makes zero sense, and I have no idea his source, but it would have to include others IMO. With Colon experiencing elbow issues it could be something that at least partially happens.

To be honest, thats not a great deal, but I'd be shopping Poreda hard if I were KW. I really really want the kid to be good, but I just dont see it.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
Well, a lot of people think the Pena-Allen trade was an olive branch gift after the Quentin trade (like Iguchi after the Garcia trade), so maybe Qualls will come cheap as a make up for the Pena-Allen trade.

The pieces that were given to AZ for Quentin and Richar were a couple of the pieces that got AZ Dan Haren. The Chris Young trade was a bad one for AZ.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:46 PM)
The Padres have the worst offense in the majors, does that mean you wouldn't want Adrian Gonzalez? The Indians have maybe the worst starting rotation in the AL, does that mean you wouldn't want Cliff Lee? See the flaw in your logic?

No I don't. I think I've watched the DBags a little more than you Kalapse...and sorry I'm not going to base my comment on pages of statistical data. I'm just not impressed with ANYBODY in the DBacks pen. There's my logic.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
No I don't. I think I've watched the DBags a little more than you Kalapse...and sorry I'm not going to base my comment on pages of statistical data. I'm just not impressed with ANYBODY in the DBacks pen. There's my logic.

Yes, I'm sure you know exactly how much baseball I watch, hell of an argument. So what don't you like about Qualls? Give me a little run down on the guy since you've seen so much of him.