Gammons Speaks

Jim Fainter

Here are Valentine's numbers.

1-3 with a 5.13 ERA. In 37 games he has pitched 47.1 innings. He's given up just 43 hits while walking 32 and striking out 46.

Blanton is a stud prospect so I don't know why they'd give up a stud prospect for Escobar. But if it gets them in the playoffs yet again and potentially deeper in the playoffs, then its worth the good prospect cause the A's would maybe get another boost in revenue which could lead to a higher payroll.

You'd think with all this winning that they've done that more fans would show up. I know their stadium is awful bad, but still, they have been pretty damn good for a few years now.

gammons2.jpg

Hi, I'm Peter Gammons, and I always talk out of my ass! Ass ass ass ass ass! Have I ever predicted anything right? How 'bout them Red Sox? Going for their 85th straight World Series vict....what do you mean they haven't won since 1918? They win every year in my private fantasy world where I can kiss Pedro and Theo Epstein's ass 24 hours a day!

gammons2.jpg

Hi, I'm Peter Gammons, and I always talk out of my ass! Ass ass ass ass ass! Have I ever predicted anything right? How 'bout them Red Sox? Going for their 85th straight World Series vict....what do you mean they haven't won since 1918? They win every year in my private fantasy world where I can kiss Pedro and Theo Epstein's ass 24 hours a day!

ROFLMAO :lol:

I doubt the Sox will deal Bartolo. They know no matter what they'll get 2 draft picks for him. Now if the right call comes in and the Sox can get a younger ace or two for him then sure they'd make the deal.

I just don't see them giving up on this season, so the players acquired would have to be able to help the Sox compete this year and in years to come.

He predicted a trade tomarrow--Kelvim Escobar to Oakland for Lilly and prospect Joe Blanton.

I might have to go find Joe tomorrow and ask him. I hope Blanton doesn't get traded. He's a fun guy to watch in Kane County.

CWSOX45

Here are Valentine's numbers.

1-3 with a 5.13 ERA.  In 37 games he has pitched 47.1 innings.  He's given up just 43 hits while walking 32 and striking out 46.

Blanton is a stud prospect so I don't know why they'd give up a stud prospect for Escobar.  But if it gets them in the playoffs yet again and potentially deeper in the playoffs, then its worth the good prospect cause the A's would maybe get another boost in revenue which could lead to a higher payroll.

You'd think with all this winning that they've done that more fans would show up.  I know their stadium is awful bad, but still, they have been pretty damn good for a few years now.

Possibly because they have too many starting pitching prospects?

They A's are loaded with Starting Pitching prospects.

CWSOX45

do you people realize that gammons works for the boston globe? do you realize that the boston red sox play in boston, which is where the boston globe is located?

phil rogers contributes to espn.com too, and all he writes about is the cubs and white sox but nobody ever complains about that.

do you people realize that gammons works for the boston globe? do you realize that the boston red sox play in boston, which is where the boston globe is located?

phil rogers contributes to espn.com too, and all he writes about is the cubs and white sox but nobody ever complains about that.

But Gammons is ESPN's featured baseball reporter. It's always east coast with ESPN.

Last eve they were kissing the Twins ass then the Twins lost the lead and they went to a piece on a .250 hitting shortstop for the Mets.  I just shook my head and turned it off.

Well thats because he is probaly the best SS prospect in the game and maybe the best postion player prospect in the game. Give the guys a break yes they don't talk about the Sox much but what they do report is very good stuff.

Also Gammons is pretty acurate when it comes to trades. He got the Alomar and Everett trade right. He knew the Everett trade before anyone else. I would say he knows his stuff.

I've learned to like Gammons. Ya he talks about his favorite team, but he also writes about them (as spiff mentioned) and the Red Sox fan base is huge so he needs to talk about them anyway.

I'd do the same but for the Sox. That isn't to say he doesn't know whats going on. Ya he is off at times and such, but I do think he hears a lot of things and I like hearing whats going on.

Not true. Baseball Prospectus tore him a new one when he kept on harping on his 30 GS/190 IP theory at the beginning of the year. They absolutely suggested that he was searching for ways to pick the White Sox to win it all.

Wed. Now Gammons commented on the A's not wanting to give up Joe Blanton for Escobar, because Blanton might be in the A's rotation next year, he is that good. Sigh. Blanton is the guy that we could have drafted instead of Royce Ring in 2002, much to the delight and surprise of Mr. Personality, Billy Beane. Blanton just got moved to AA, by the way.

Just saw Pete give a little dig toward Roger Clemons. He's pitching against Baltimore today, and mid-way through the game Mora tries to lay one down, but it went foul. This pissed off King Roger, because he is too good for anyone to try to bunt off him in a close game. So he very obviously plucks Mora on purpose. Got the warning from the ump, can't pitch inside, and the Orioles got some big hits off him to win. This was all Pete's take on things, but it looked that way to me, too.

Friday, 7-25.  Pete gave a long rundown of trade possibilities and closed with a comment about how well the Rangers have done in their trading this month.  He was obviously referring to the Everett trade.  He said it, not me.

He might have been talking about the Urbina trade. They got 3 of the Marlin's top 7 prospects. They did all right for Everett, but remember they are paying 98% of his salary, and these kids are in A ball, although their futures look bright. We'll see.