Dewayne Wise to be interviewed on Sportscenter

rangercal

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)
This is without a doubt the best day of Dewayne Wises' life. Unless, he really likes his children, does he have children?

His children boo him.

Not today!

Seriously though, not sure.

edit:

did not see the other Wise thread, feel free to merge. Just thought wise on SC would be one of the funniest thread titles in ST history.

btw mb is on right now

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
Oh what a difference one great catch makes...

If that was the third inning of a scoreless game, its a great catch..

Top of the 9th with a perfect game on the line, that was something else..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
If that was the third inning of a scoreless game, its a great catch..

Top of the 9th with a perfect game on the line, that was something else..

fully agree. This will be in conversation of the greatest baseball catches of all time.

circumstance x difficulty sure puts it high up there

Ozzie said the same thing in the post-game, not the greatest catch, but "greatest situation" in which to make it.

Another interesting twist, we're going to play DET now for first, where he had the shoulder-separating catch and the defining out at home plate (in Chicago) that should have been the GW-run and first place alone right now at the 95 game mark.

The hatred towards Wise was never personal or about his personality, but seeing his face light up on MLB Network when they're interviewing him and bringing up the situation '9th inning, the manager calls on you...' was really cool to see

Another fun fact to throw in, Wise was on the Braves team in 04 that Randy Johnson threw a perfect game against

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
Why? We've judged him by his play on the field. Which, apart from today, has been very very bad.

Oh. ok. Aside from THE CATCH, he's a worthless good for nothing who has no place in major league baseball. Better?

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
Oh. ok. Aside from THE CATCH, he's a worthless good for nothing who has no place in major league baseball. Better?

Who you mean this guy? http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wisede01.shtml The facts are these: Dewayne Wise made a fantastic catch today, I’ll always remember and appreciate him for this moment that’s going to be etched into my White Sox fandom for the rest of my life, but other than that what is it that’s he given to this team? An OBP of .243? AN OPS of .562? Ultimately, we have a guy who's on pace to hit .211 for us and strikeout 96 more times than he walks. We should all thank Dewayne Wise for what he’s given to us today, but that doesn’t mean we should let ourselves forget just what kind of ball player he is. Ultimately, maybe his value will come for 1 or 2 innings on the fields, if that’s the case, we should hope Wise has more of these catches in him.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 06:01 PM)
Have I ever mentioned I love D Wise?

Really, that was a nice interview. He was indeed very humble and comes across as being a real nice guy. Perhaps we've been a bit harsh.

You think?

Some in here hate the guy for wanting to play baseball...you can't hate him for that and even though he isn't the most talented guy around I always root him to contribute to our team,some even seem to want him to fail in here...you know who you are,haters.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:19 PM)
You think?

Some in here hate the guy for wanting to play baseball...you can't hate him for that and even though he isn't the most talented guy around I always root him to contribute to our team,some even seem to want him to fail in here...you know who you are,haters.

Hey there, awesome straw man

Frankly I dont understand why these boards always have hate for like the last guy on the roster.

Timo Perez, Dewayne Wise. I mean, doesnt every team have a guy who's purely a backup for speed or for glove? Why hate this guy?

All too recently some poster said something to the effect of "i now want Wise to fail"

I have yet to see the team that doesnt have one of these guys. Unfortunately he was used improperly and put in the leadoff spot to start the year. Then had to play a bunch due to injuries.

But even despite that, people still ride him hard even now that he's properly in his place as a 4th OF. He is what he is, to quote like every NFL player ever to be in front of a mic.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
You think?

He's a bad baseball player. I don't hate him, but I don't want to see him in a White Sox uni for much longer. Also, no one wants to seem him fail, but people have come to expect him to fail, because guess what, he's a bad baseball player.

I'm glad he made that catch today, and I give him a big thumbs up. But, other than that, he was just the right player at the right time.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
I'm glad he made that catch today, and I give him a big thumbs up. But, other than that, he was just the right player at the right time.

Does BA have the speed to get to the wall that quick? I think it takes a unique amount of speed to get there, plus a great jump. For at least one moment, his particular skill set got us out of a spot.

Earlier in the year he had a great catch (in which he was injured) which led directly to a W.