Dewayne Wise to be interviewed on Sportscenter

rangercal

The facts are these: Dewayne Wise made a fantastic catch today, I’ll always remember and appreciate him for this moment that’s going to be etched into my White Sox fandom for the rest of my life, but other than that what is it that’s he given to this team?

I loved the hug. Mark B hugging Wise. Precious moment in Sox lore.

Thunderbolt, are you this harsh in real life as well or just message board land?

I ask all sane people to study your comment above. It's a crazy sentiment to me.

You say you always will remember the moment, it'll be etched in your mind forever, yet I still sense some negativitity toward Wise.

Why can't you just leave it with the nice part of your comment like Hawk saying: "I'd say because of the circumstances one of the greatest catches I've seen in 50 years of baseball."

Hawk didn't add, "and by the way, Wise has pretty much stunk other than this inning this year." He left it at that. Why couldn't you?

-- This is worth a discussion. Are you guys surprised Oz made the defensive move? Thank God he did. No way Pods catches that ball. At least I don't think Pods catches that ball.

Two questions: Did you agree with Oz putting in Wise for Pods superstition and all? And also, if Wise goes up strong and drops the ball and it's ruled a hit obviously, do you think we'd all be calling for Oz's head for sending down Anderson, and all the Anderson stuff dredged up?

Second guessing goes both ways. Would any of you have reamed Wise for the drop and Oz/KW for sending down Anderson if the ball plops out?

Edited by greg775

If Wise had dropped that one, no one would be remembering that he kept it in the park. Hey thats part of it, you either produce the good result or you dont. He hasnt produced with the bat, but this year some of his best moments were actually defense related.

I ask all sane people to study your comment above. It's a crazy sentiment to me.

Some people just really like a player. If they feel BA has been wronged, they'll dislike his replacement. To me, though, those two guys arent that far apart. One's faster, the other gets better jumps and likely has a better arm.

People who root for Wise to fail (some said it recently) need to remember that we root for the jersey. There's a reason we dont want Crede to beat the Sox, even if we loved him as a WS hero.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)
Does BA have the speed to get to the wall that quick? I think it takes a unique amount of speed to get there, plus a great jump. For at least one moment, his particular skill set got us out of a spot.

Earlier in the year he had a great catch (in which he was injured) which led directly to a W.

BA gets to that spot, yes. It's not like he's never ran really fast to make a catch at the wall before. I really doubt if he catches it on a jump though. However, this is irrelevant and it's not nor should it be a BA vs. Wise thing.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
Frankly I dont understand why these boards always have hate for like the last guy on the roster.

Timo Perez, Dewayne Wise. I mean, doesnt every team have a guy who's purely a backup for speed or for glove? Why hate this guy?

All too recently some poster said something to the effect of "i now want Wise to fail"

These boards, and fans of other teams in general have ''hate'' for the last man because frankly they rarely any good at all. The 25th man is the 25th man for a reason, he brings the least to the table. Who was the poster that said they want wise to fail? Whoever it was is an imbecile, at best.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
I loved the hug. Mark B hugging Wise. Precious moment in Sox lore.

Thunderbolt, are you this harsh in real life as well or just message board land?

You say you always will remember the moment, it'll be etched in your mind forever, yet I still sense some negativitity toward Wise.?

I'm a bit suprised we're doing this here. I know what Wise did today was extraordinary, but it doesn't change much outside of today. I'm not being harsh, I'm being realistic. Anyone remember yesterday? Dewayne Wise wasn't very good at baseball yesterday… what about today? He made an incredible catch, I've given him his due, doesn't mean I have to give him my full unconditional support. I love this team, but their have been too many times when I have seen Wise have at-bats that have been to this teams detriment. I acknowledge that we all the reason in the world to be so damn proud of him today (and i am), but it won't change yesterday, and it won't change tomorrow. There’s no tabula rasa. Not for me anyway.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)
Does BA have the speed to get to the wall that quick? I think it takes a unique amount of speed to get there, plus a great jump. For at least one moment, his particular skill set got us out of a spot.

Earlier in the year he had a great catch (in which he was injured) which led directly to a W.

Wise seemed to have a perfect jump on that ball. I don't know if BA gets there, and then he has to reach across his body or backhand it because his glove is on the other arm.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)

Anderson doesn't play nearly as shallow as Wise (dude thinks he's Andruw Jones), so even if you believe he can't cover as much ground he wouldn't have had to.

Fair enough, thunderbolt.

We are different kind of posters/fans. Difference of opinion.

I prefer to copy Hawk who said it was one of the greatest catches he's seen in 50 years of baseball and leave it at that for at least one day. Hawk didn't add a comment, 'And that helps make up for the lousy year Wise has had to this point."

It just seems some excellent moments should stand on their own with no qualifiers.

To me it's like you give him is due, then "Yeah, but ..." I'll stop now.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
Wise seemed to have a perfect jump on that ball. I don't know if BA gets there, and then he has to reach across his body or backhand it because his glove is on the other arm.

I don't know why people keep saying this... open your left hand, and turn it counterclockwise so that your palm faces you. Is that really that hard to do? If you did that with a glove on and put it where you track the ball to land it'll fall right in there. It's a high degree of difficulty because your eye isn't right there on the ball but it's not if you're using your right hand to catch the ball either (you jump).

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
I'm a bit suprised we're doing this here. I know what Wise did today was extraordinary, but it doesn't change much outside of today. I'm not being harsh, I'm being realistic. Anyone remember yesterday? Dewayne Wise wasn't very good at baseball yesterday… what about today?

But as 4th OF does he have to be judged like so? Near every team has guys like him, who by a thread are still in the majors. Unless you're payroll's high enough to pad your bench with starter-quality guys.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
I'm a bit suprised we're doing this here. I know what Wise did today was extraordinary, but it doesn't change much outside of today. I'm not being harsh, I'm being realistic. Anyone remember yesterday? Dewayne Wise wasn't very good at baseball yesterday… what about today? He made an incredible catch, I've given him his due, doesn't mean I have to give him my full unconditional support. I love this team, but their have been too many times when I have seen Wise have at-bats that have been to this teams detriment. I acknowledge that we all the reason in the world to be so damn proud of him today (and i am), but it won't change yesterday, and it won't change tomorrow. There’s no tabula rasa. Not for me anyway.

Hey, get your logic out of here. One play OBVIOUSLY trumps a whole s***ty career.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)
Fair enough, thunderbolt.

We are different kind of posters/fans. Difference of opinion.

I prefer to copy Hawk who said it was one of the greatest catches he's seen in 50 years of baseball and leave it at that for at least one day. Hawk didn't add a comment, 'And that helps make up for the lousy year Wise has had to this point."

It just seems some excellent moments should stand on their own with no qualifiers.

To me it's like you give him is due, then "Yeah, but ..." I'll stop now.

I completely understand and respect that. Wise did something that we’re all going to remember for the rest of our lives. Honestly, I can get pretty stubborn about these things, but I’ll just put it out their. From this day forward there’s always going to be a time when I can think of D-Wheezey and have something to smile about. I’m pretty thankful for that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
The replay has Wise just plain sprinting after the ball immediately.

Like it was fate.

What would Pods have done on the play? We know what many say BA woulda done; what about Pods?

Pods would've attempted to do the same thing, probably unsuccessfully.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
The replay has Wise just plain sprinting after the ball immediately.

Like it was fate.

What would Pods have done on the play? We know what many say BA woulda done; what about Pods?

Sorry, but I'm confused about this. A player running after a fly ball is fate? Outfielders chase fly balls all the time.. it's their job. How is it fate?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I come off sounding like DeWayne Wise kicked my (non-existant) kids or something. He made a fantastic catch, and he deserves all the credit in the world for it. It was a great read, a great jump and a great grab to keep control of it. But let's not be silly and pretend this changes his whole career or anything. It was a great play and I'm glad that I'm going to think of it when I see him now, but nothing has changed from yesterday. He's still a bad player, and he still shouldn't be in the majors.

Edited by Felix

That catch was like something out of "The Natural," minus Wonderboy.

It just seemed like fate, both with the beating that Wise has taken from many and the fact that he was just inserted into the game. And I liked how Ozzie kind of shrugged it off and said "that's my job" about the substitution.

Farmer was so non-chalant...it was like you had to watch it 3-5 times in slow motion to really appreciate it, because it happened so fast...and the ball was so close to coming loose. Harrelson was much more excited, as usual. I think Stone must have really enjoyed the game a lot too, unfortunately I can't get anything but gameday radio where I live.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)

He would've tracked it down, scaled the fence, have his glove up in preparation for a catch, and have it hit right off the top off his head to the 3rd row for a homer.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
He's a bad baseball player. I don't hate him, but I don't want to see him in a White Sox uni for much longer. Also, no one wants to seem him fail, but people have come to expect him to fail, because guess what, he's a bad baseball player.

I'm glad he made that catch today, and I give him a big thumbs up. But, other than that, he was just the right player at the right time.

Yes they do. A ton of people were saying just that when BA was sent down. Some were even rooting for injury.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
Hey there, awesome straw man

I hate how often people here try and use this when someone posts something they don't like (sorry lostfan, it's not usually you but you just happened to make this post this time). He's partly right though. There are people here who root for him to fail. The level that some people loathe certain players on this team sometimes is fascinating and goes beyond ridiculous. I realize he is not a good baseball player, but when you read comments about the guy it is often hard to come to any other conclusion than some people would love to see him fail just so they can say "told ya". (I'm just using him as an example, but it's happened elsewhere)

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
I hate how often people here try and use this when someone posts something they don't like (sorry lostfan, it's not usually you but you just happened to make this post this time). He's partly right though. There are people here who root for him to fail. The level that some people loathe certain players on this team sometimes is fascinating and goes beyond ridiculous. I realize he is not a good baseball player, but when you read comments about the guy it is often hard to come to any other conclusion than some people would love to see him fail just so they can say "told ya". (I'm just using him as an example, but it's happened elsewhere)

It was a messy shotgun blast of a post. There might be about 2 or 3 fringe posters who actually want him to fail, about the same number of posters probably got caught up in the moment and wished he'd gotten hurt. Beyond that, on to the vast majority of posters, nobody wants him to fail. They might expect him to fail, they might be upset about having to see it and knowing the outcome before it happens, but they don't want it to happen. Then when they express frustration about it (this is Soxtalk after all) they get called "haters."