Goodell moves draft to Thursday, makes it 3 days

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aowh...p&type=lgns

Here's his statement/official reason for doing it:

"We continue to look for ways to make the draft more accessible to more fans," Goodell said in a statement. "Moving the first round to prime time on Thursday night will make the first round of the draft available to fans on what is typically the most-watched night of television."

Here's the same quote, edited by me for honesty and accuracy:

"We continue to look for ways to make the draft a more productive source of revenue," Goodell said in a statement. "Moving the first round to prime time on Thursday night will make the first round of the draft available to fans on what is typically the most-watched night of television, meaning the draft will draw higher ratings as well as provide a full extra day of revenue to solidify our bottom line."

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:57 PM)
God, another day to shove that crap down my throat. It's ridiculous how long teams run the ridiculously long 15:00 clock on a guy they already have signed.

Yeah that is ridiculous. When a team with the #1 pick takes longer than 5 minutes to make their pick they should just have a pick taken away just for pissing me off. Same thing goes for #2 actually, they know good and well who they're going to pick because the #1 pick gets signed before the draft, and #3 probably has a good idea too.

Damn, I don't like this... I love the all-day Saturday/Sunday draft weekend. I make sure I don't have work, finish all school work early, and just sit on my couch watching the Draft for 2 straight days. I love it. Now it's not gonna be the same.

I hate this. The we always have our alumni reunion the weekend the last weekend in April, which is usually when the draft is on. It's awesome being able to throw the draft on some TV and check it every now and then with everyone and debate picks and whatnot. That aspect will be missed this year.

Goodell did a great thing last year by dropping the first round to 10 minutes per team. By the time the tv people analyze the previous pick and predict the next pick the 10 minutes is about up so I like that. But the first round still lasts 5 hours so moving it to primetime is just stupid. It's going to start at 730 so that means around 1am by the time it ends. This is dumb and I doubt the NFL does this for more than 2 years.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
Is it true that they want to move it to late Feb/early Mar?

It should be a month earlier than it is now. NFL feels the need to steal the limelight from MLB in late April.

From a business standpoint, this is an obvious move. And from a fan standpoint, I like it.

Thursday night will be round 1 and take about 4 hours. Then Friday, the 2nd and 3rd round will begin late afternoon. I would prefer it if they added the 4th round as well to day 2. And then on saturday morning, they go through the final 4 rounds. Then we got Sunday to watch baseball and talk about the draft.

I can't wait until they make the draft in late February or early March. The time between the superbowl and draft is just way too long.

Personally, I think this is an absolutely stupid move.

How many people do they think will actually stay home on a Thursday or Friday night to watch the draft?

Myself I'm never home then and during the day on Saturday and Sunday is perfect. I would expect less people will be watching.

How about doing moving the draft away from New York, they have f***ing everything, there are other big markets too.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
From a business standpoint, this is an obvious move. And from a fan standpoint, I like it.

Thursday night will be round 1 and take about 4 hours. Then Friday, the 2nd and 3rd round will begin late afternoon. I would prefer it if they added the 4th round as well to day 2. And then on saturday morning, they go through the final 4 rounds. Then we got Sunday to watch baseball and talk about the draft.

I can't wait until they make the draft in late February or early March. The time between the superbowl and draft is just way too long.

From a business standpoint they're taking the draft from Saturday when nothing else is on into a prime-time weekday slot. Now he wants to put the NFL draft up against American Idol, etc.? Why?