Done: Matt Holliday To Cards

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
I saw that. I think Tim Brown is an idiot but that is for another day.

I wonder what the interest is from several standpoints.

Where would he play this season?

He is a Boras guy.

Do we think he'll find his Colorado stroke in another hitter friendly park?

If he can - I'm all for getting him in the offseason at a cheap price.

The two parks are not one in the same. Balls fly out of the Cell but it's a pretty small outfield so there isn't much room in the gaps or in front or behind the outfielders, this limits doubles and bloop singles but increases HR. Coors has a very large outfield with plenty of room in the gaps and in front of and behind the outfielders plus it's 5,200 feet above sea level so the ball tends to fly out as well, it's a paradise for all types of hitters and Matt Holliday's hybrid hitting style was perfectly suited for Coors.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
I like the move, sounds like the prospects were good, especially Wallace, but as I've posted before, you have arguably the best hitter in the last 20-30 years in his prime, it's worth the risk to me.

Also, if Cardinals don't resign him they can afford the risk of offering him arb and at least getting some decent picks back. Obviously a risk, but Ludwick is starting to hit, so a lineup with Pujols, Holliday, DeRosa and Ludwick is very good, especially in that division.

They easily have the best lineup in the division now.

1. Schumaker 2B

2. DeRosa 3B

3. Pujols 1B

4. Holliday LF

5. Ludwick RF

6. Rasmus CF

7. Molina C

8. Pitcher

9. Lugo SS

2-6 is scary. You can expect DeRosa's numbers to skyrocket if he's healthy. Same goes for Holliday.

It's a great move for now. The future just doesn't look too good if they don't succeed.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
This is great. First they get DeRosa, now Holliday. What a punch in the gut for the Cubs.

However, I still think their pitching is suspect.

I don't think it's really suspect.

I mean, Carpenter, Wainwright, and Pinero have been really good this year. I think it really depends on the health of Carpenter.

Lohse is a mediocre 4th starter and the 5th spot looks kinda bad. But then again, Wellemeyer can give you 5-6 innings. With that offense, they don't have to pitch great.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 08:48 PM)
Cardinals lineup is very impressive now. They just need to find a replacement for Wellemeyer. I honestly believe the 4 playoff teams from the NL will be the Dodgers, Phillies, Cubs, and Cardinals

I think San Fran has the edge for the WC. I think the only team from the central that will make the playoffs will have to win the division.

And if they do get 1 more pitcher, they could make themselves NL favorites. The NL playoffs should be very fun, especially if Philly gets Halladay.

Albert Pujols has legitimate protection behind him in the lineup.. scary.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:04 PM)
lol, early returns, but Holliday 3-4 tonight with a 2b, r and RBI

He finished 4-5. :o

Edited by SoxAce