Best games you've been to

BigSqwert

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. 2005- ALDS Game 1- My first playoff game ever and the Sox killed the defending champs to set the tone for a run we would never forget.

2. 2000- Jose Valentin hits a walk off single vs the defending champion Yankees.

3. 2003- Frank Thomas walk off homerun vs the Twins in extras (Pauly forced extra innings after hitting a 2 out HR off Guardado)

4. 1986- Harold Baines hits a walk off homerun at Old Comiskey. It was my first Sox game ever, i was 4 years old and my Dad was picking me up and celebrating. I remember saying to myself "this is awesome".

5. 2003- Frank Thomas hits his 400th HR.

6. 2003 Jose Valentin's walk off vs the Cubs.

7. 2005 back-2-back games. JD hits a walk off HR vs Angels. The very next day Timo Perez gets a walk off single.

There are many many more. But these games really stick out for me.

1) Game 2 of the ALCS

2) Game 163

no others come close

Edit: Oh yeah... and I was at that Back2Back2Back2Back game as well. That was beastly. Still not close to the first two though.

Edited by Reddy

1. 2005 ALDS Game 1 versus Red Sox

2. 2005 World Series Game 1

3. 2005 ALCS Game 2

4. 2007 MB's no-hitter

5. 2004 All-Star game

Also saw the home-run derby, 2008 ALDS Game 3, 2000 ALDS Game 1(ugh), and Jose Valentin hit for the cycle. Other favorites include Ray Durham walk-off versus the Cubs, Carlos Lee's walk-off Grand Slam versus the Cubs, JD's walk-off against the Angels, and Pierzynski fight versus the Cubs.

It may sound like I go to a million games per season, but I have been extremely lucky with the games I attend. For some reason whenever I go something miraculous tends to happen...like when I attended my only game this year and we lost 20-1.

I had tickets to go today but had to skip for summer school. Ugh.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)
- Dennis Martinez Perfect Game against the Dodgers

- Mark Langston and Mike Witt Combined No Hitter

- Tony Gwynn 3000th hit

- Rickey Henderson 3000th hit

- Rickey Henderson breaking the all time run record

- Barry Bonds hitting the HR to tie Hank Aaron on the all time list

- Last strikeout of Nolan Ryan's career

- All 3 ALCS Games in Anaheim (Sox sweep and clinch to go to the World Series in the final of the 3 games).

Wow, you've been to some great games. Mine-

1. Buehrle 2007 no-hitter

2. Frank's first game back in 2006

3. Dye walk-off homer against LAA in 2005

4. Sox at NYY in 2005. They lost, but it was the game when Rowand made those two great catches and Pods made the catch and was punched by a fan.

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

Konerko's 3 homer game from a few weeks ago was my favorite.

A runner up was the game against the Astros in 2006 where Iguchi sent us into extras with the 3-run jack and the grand slam (even though we lost, it was awesome).

I was at both those games as well. Probably the best two I've been to.

Game 2 World Series

Game 2 ALCS

Game 1 ALDS

Game 1 ALCS (only loss)

Game 163

Buerhle No Hitter

Bo Jackson's HR

AJ/Barrett Brawl

Last Night Game Old Comiskey

Opener of New Comiskey

2003 All-Star

Jeff Abbott Walk-Off

I'm sure there's more.

What's amazing to me in looking at all of these posts is the occurrence of Harold Baines coming up at old Comiskey. In one of my first games, Harold hit a walk off 3 run shot in the ninth with 2 outs against the Indians that I'll never forget. Amazing.

I'm 37, so a lot of the younger crowd maybe doesn't remember him, but to me, he was BY FAR the most clutch hitter I have ever seen, bar none.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)
- Dennis Martinez Perfect Game against the Dodgers

- Mark Langston and Mike Witt Combined No Hitter

- Tony Gwynn 3000th hit

- Rickey Henderson 3000th hit

- Rickey Henderson breaking the all time run record

- Barry Bonds hitting the HR to tie Hank Aaron on the all time list

- Last strikeout of Nolan Ryan's career

- All 3 ALCS Games in Anaheim (Sox sweep and clinch to go to the World Series in the final of the 3 games).

Holy schnikes, that's one hell of an impressive list!

Mine:

1. 2005 ALCS Game 2

2. The Blackout game

3. 2005 ALDS Game 1

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 08:42 PM)
Unfortunately I had to work today but it got me thinking. Which games have I attended that were the most memorable.

Here's mine in order:

1 - Game 4 of the World Series (Only post season game I ever attended unless you count my next pick)

2 - Game 163

3 - The 1993 clincher when Bo Jackson homered

4 - Late inning comeback on Frank Thomas' first game as an Athletic

5 - The first game the Sox played here after their impressive 9 - 0 road trip in 2000

I was at four of your five (I missed #3). I also made the dropped third strike game (2005 ALCS Game 2) and the Blowout of the BoSox in ALDS Game 1.

IIRC, #4 ended on a walk off bunt by Pablo Ozuna.

Good times.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 08:36 AM)
IIRC, #4 ended on a walk off bunt by Pablo Ozuna.

Good times.

Indeed.

And I also misstated that game 4 of the WS was my only post season game. I did attend the unmemorable game 1 of the ALCS in '93.

1. Game 2 of 2005 WS (the Konerko GS and Pods walk-off - doesn't get better than that)

2. Game 2 of 2005 ALCS - the AJ dropped 3rd strike game

3. Game 163, 2008 - the Blackout

4. Opening Day, 2006 - the WS banners and tribute

5. Game 1 of 2005 ALDS - beating Boston 14-3, or something like that

6. Sometime in the late 80's or so, it was seat cushion day, and the last one ever, due to what happened that night. After a bad call on the field, someone in the crowd chucked their square, white seat cushion onto the field like a frisbee. Others followed suit, until it was snowing seat cushions. The PA announcements said the Sox would have to forfeit if that continued, so the Sox almost lost by forfeit that game. Hilarious.

7. Also sometime in the late 80's or maybe early 90's, saw the Sox come back from down, I think, 10-6 in the 9th, to win 12-10 on a Gary Redus Grand Slam.

8. Similar timeframe, I saw three straight homeruns hit, two by unlikely sources - Rudy Law, Ozzie Guillen, Harold Baines.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:33 AM)
1. Game 2 of 2005 WS (the Konerko GS and Pods walk-off - doesn't get better than that)

6. Sometime in the late 80's or so, it was seat cushion day, and the last one ever, due to what happened that night. After a bad call on the field, someone in the crowd chucked their square, white seat cushion onto the field like a frisbee. Others followed suit, until it was snowing seat cushions. The PA announcements said the Sox would have to forfeit if that continued, so the Sox almost lost by forfeit that game. Hilarious.

7. Also sometime in the late 80's or maybe early 90's, saw the Sox come back from down, I think, 10-6 in the 9th, to win 12-10 on a Gary Redus Grand Slam.

8. Similar timeframe, I saw three straight homeruns hit, two by unlikely sources - Rudy Law, Ozzie Guillen, Harold Baines.

They gotta bring back seat cushion day.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)

6. Sometime in the late 80's or so, it was seat cushion day, and the last one ever, due to what happened that night. After a bad call on the field, someone in the crowd chucked their square, white seat cushion onto the field like a frisbee. Others followed suit, until it was snowing seat cushions. The PA announcements said the Sox would have to forfeit if that continued, so the Sox almost lost by forfeit that game. Hilarious.7. Also sometime in the late 80's or maybe early 90's, saw the Sox come back from down, I think, 10-6 in the 9th, to win 12-10 on a Gary Redus Grand Slam.

Haha, I was at that game as well. The field was almost totally covered in seat cushions!

I've missed a lot of memorable games the last 5-6 years, but a few older ones that stand out are Ventura's walk off grand slam against the Rangers (July 31, 1991, I think) and the first game back (Monday nighter, I think) after the Sox had that great road trip in 2000. At the time, it was the most electric game I'd ever been to (obviously surpassed by some of the amazing stuff the last 5-6 years).