Sox Scouting LAD AA games in recent days

beck72

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:34 PM)
Not sure if this was posted anywhere, that the Sox were scouting the LA dodgers AA team the Lookouts [among other teams like ATL, the Cubs, and Mets. Could be the Sox looking to deal a bullpen arm [Dotel?]. Who on their AA team would be of interest for the sox?

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/07/23/groundw...o-get-pitchers/

The LF for the Lookouts, Andrew Lambo is a hell of a ball player. Pretty swing, nice pop. http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=518911

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 03:39 AM)
I could be way off, I really do not know, but I get the hunch for every one of these stories we read, 5 of them don't get reported. I'm sure the Sox have their scouts covering numerous teams.

Not saying this isn't news, just my opinion.

I agree. But with the deadline 8 days away, every bit of news is a little bigger. Esp. with the Dodgers in need of arms, both SP and bullpen, some deal is likely to go down

Yea I agree, Andrew Lambo is a stud and we would probably have to give up alot, another player I can see the Sox having interest in is Javy Guerra. He's got a pretty good arm. I'm not sure what else we would be looking for at the AA affiliate for the Dodgers. But Lambo would be sweet!

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:59 PM)
Ditto.

Victor Garate a left handed reliever for the Chatanooga lookouts. Dodgers picked him up in the aaa phase of th e rule 5 draft I think last year. He has great era 41 strikeouts in 38 innings don't know any peripherals pitches but he is from Venezuela. Victor was born in Maracay Venezuela birthplace of Ozzie Guillen. Just a hunch.

Edited by forrestg

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
Victor Garate a left handed reliever for the Chatanooga lookouts. Dodgers picked him up in the aaa phase of th e rule 5 draft I think last year. He has great era 41 strikeouts in 38 innings don't know any peripherals pitches but he is from Venezuela. Victor was born in Maracay Venezuela birthplace of Ozzie Guillen. Just a hunch.

I could see Garate as a possible target. He was a starter most of last year, though has been in relief this year. An organization can never have enough LHP's--esp if the sox trade Poreda or Richard.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 06:10 AM)
23 yr old LHP James Adkins could be an arm the Sox would want. Was a 1st rd pick in 2007, had a 5 + ERA in 2008, and has been mediocre this year. Has better breaking stuff, and could be a reliever at worst. Threw 6 IP and only gave up 1 hit yesterday [if the sox were watching].

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=448266

Any relation to Jon Adkins?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 06:37 AM)
It would take Dotel, Poreda and another prospect for Lambo.

They would probably ask for Flowers/Viciedo to start with, and MIGHT settle for Hudson as the third player.

In case you haven't noticed, it's taking a lot to get rent-a-players. Just look at what the Indians got last year for Sabathia and what the A's just got for Holliday.

Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley for Sabathia.

Brett Wallace, Clayton Mortensen, Shane Peterson for Holliday.

Am I saying Dotel's on the same level as Sabathia or Holliday? No. Am I saying we should expect one of those types of mega-packages for Dotel? No. Lambo is a very good prospect, not an elite one. And that's just one prospect. Dotel is a type A FA and would net two draft picks if we or a team he was traded to offered him arbitration. All that said, he certainly has good value on the trade market. Dotel should be able to net Lambo or a Lambo type of player straight up, especially if a team is desperate for relief help.

Is a 36 year old Dotel getting $6.5M+ guaranteed in this economy? Because that's what he'll get at a minimum if he accepts arbitration. Keep in mind Juan Cruz got 2 years, $6M from the Royals this past offseason, very comparable pitcher only 5 years younger. If the interested ballclub isn't willing to risk offering him arbitration (something the Sox probably won't do) then his value takes a big hit.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)
Is a 36 year old Dotel getting $6.5M+ guaranteed in this economy? Because that's what he'll get at a minimum if he accepts arbitration. Keep in mind Juan Cruz got 2 years, $6M from the Royals this past offseason, very comparable pitcher only 5 years younger. If the interested ballclub isn't willing to risk offering him arbitration (something the Sox probably won't do) then his value takes a big hit.

Considering how last offseason went, I think a lot fewer teams will be offering arbitration to players unless they are elite.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
Considering how last offseason went, I think a lot fewer teams will be offering arbitration to players unless they are elite.

Dotel *is* an elite setup man, but he's not getting that kind of money. Otherwise I mostly agree at least as far as this offseason goes, however that will change as the market adjusts and players who have signed long-term deals at reasonable prices will still get arb - unless of course they scrap the entire arb process entirely under the next CBA.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)

Are we sure that this coming offseason will mirror the last offseason? For all the talk of financial trouble, we have seen very little activity during the season to indicate that teams are struggling financially. Maybe they are planning to cut again in the offseason, but all the predictions of mid-season sell offs by teams for financial reasons have not yet happened yet.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
In case you haven't noticed, it's taking a lot to get rent-a-players. Just look at what the Indians got last year for Sabathia and what the A's just got for Holliday.

Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson, and Michael Brantley for Sabathia.

Brett Wallace, Clayton Mortensen, Shane Peterson for Holliday.

Am I saying Dotel's on the same level as Sabathia or Holliday? No. Am I saying we should expect one of those types of mega-packages for Dotel? No. Lambo is a very good prospect, not an elite one. And that's just one prospect. Dotel is a type A FA and would net two draft picks if we or a team he was traded to offered him arbitration. All that said, he certainly has good value on the trade market. Dotel should be able to net Lambo or a Lambo type of player straight up, especially if a team is desperate for relief help.

Like the White Sox?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)

A 36 year old Dotel is likely to decline arbitration though to hold out for a multi-year deal, which makes his Type A free agent status come into play and adds value in a trade.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
A 36 year old Dotel is likely to decline arbitration though to hold out for a multi-year deal, which makes his Type A free agent status come into play and adds value in a trade.

Historically I think you are right, but the way last off season went, I bet he would jump at the guarenteed 7 million dollars or so.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)

Do you seriously believe there's a team out there that's going to guarantee him $7M+ in a multi-year deal? Juan Cruz just got less than that on a 2 year this past offseason. So Octavio MIGHT be able to get 2 years, $3.5M per year or just accept arbitration and take his 1 year, $6.5M-$7M deal and look for another decent one next offseason. There's really no reason to decline in my mind. I fail to see how a 2 year deal is more desirable than a 1 year deal if the total dollars are about equal.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
I fail to see how a 2 year deal is more desirable than a 1 year deal if the total dollars are about equal.

One word: security

One bad year for an old Octavio could cost him a few million the next if he is a free agent instead of signed to a multi-year deal. It's all about the dollars.