Sox Scouting LAD AA games in recent days

beck72

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
One word: security

One bad year for an old Octavio could cost him a few million the next if he is a free agent instead of signed to a multi-year deal. It's all about the dollars.

Like I said, the money is going to be about the same. It's not like he's going to get $4M+ more on a multi-year deal. There's no reason for me to believe that a 36 year old Octavio Dotel is going to find a team willing to drop $8M+ on him on a 2 year deal in this economy. Octavio Dotel could make more through arbitration than Juan Cruz (30 years old, coming off a 176 ERA+, 1.26 WHIP, 12.4 K/9 season) got on the open market on a 2 year deal this past offseason.

So like I asked originally. Assuming the money is about equal (which it will be) how is a 2 year deal more desirable than a 1 year deal? It's not.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Like I said, the money is going to be about the same. It's not like he's going to get $4M+ more on a multi-year deal. There's no reason for me to believe that a 36 year old Octavio Dotel is going to find a team willing to drop $8M+ on him on a 2 year deal in this economy. Octavio Dotel could make more through arbitration than Juan Cruz (30 years old, coming off a 176 ERA+, 1.26 WHIP, 12.4 K/9 season) got on the open market on a 2 year deal this past offseason.

So like I asked originally. Assuming the money is about equal (which it will be) how is a 2 year deal more desirable than a 1 year deal? It's not.

Two years at $5M is what he will be looking for rather than taking a one year deal at $6M, he is 36 and is only getting older meaning it will be more difficult for him to sign a contract after next season and the season after that. If he was 26 then the one year deal makes sense as he can only improve his value from that point forward, at 36 his value is heading south and this is his final opportunity to capitalize. The Sox will not likely take the chance though and deal him before the deadline since they have seemingly acquired his heir apparent in Tony Pena.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
Two years at $5M is what he will be looking for rather than taking a one year deal at $6M, he is 36 and is only getting older meaning it will be more difficult for him to sign a contract after next season and the season after that. If he was 26 then the one year deal makes sense as he can only improve his value from that point forward, at 36 his value is heading south and this is his final opportunity to capitalize. The Sox will not likely take the chance though and deal him before the deadline since they have seemingly acquired his heir apparent in Tony Pena.

You mean 2 years, $10M total? He's not getting anywhere near that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
One would think he has a chance at 2/$7 M or 1/$4 M....MAYBE

Exactly and why would he take 2/$7M when he can just accept the club's offer of arbitration and guarantee himself $6.5M for 2010?

One more thing: Dotel has made $28M over the course of his career, assuming he's not a complete moron he should be more than financially secure for the rest of his life. Speaking of security: there's something to be said for a guaranteed salary of $6.5M rather than taking your chances and shopping around on the open market over the winter looking for a few million more on a multi-year deal.