With Wunsch struggling in AAA...

Capn12

I'm all for Mike Porzio filling the role that JM proposed to him, where he is the 5th starter, but is still available to pitch in the Bullpen if someone gets shelled as a starter. He can go 5 IP every 5 days, and still be available if necessary. Face it, we don't really have ANYONE in AAA that is MLB ready to pitch, even Wright is struggling, and Stewart is struggling mightily. I have no reasons to not like Porzio yet, he has kept us in both games he has started, which is the #5 starters role.

Thats fine with me, but I do have confidence in Dave Sanders. I think the big thing with him is he hasnt' been used much and I doubt he'll get used all that much down the stretch unless he starts putting good performance after good performance together.

I think Sanders and Munoz will be fixtures in the pen starting next season.

Hopefully Wunsch can get things together, give him another week down there. Once Wunsch is back I think you'll see Wright come back up and we'd insert him into the pen. Him and Porzio could kind of mix around and do a couple of things.

If Wunsch AND Wright come back up, who goes? Sanders will probably be #1 chosen to go back, but who else?

Sanders for sure. You could see Glover go elsewhere with Wright coming up. Sox may just leave Wright in AAA until September.

From what I saw of Wright his mechanics are really screwed up compared to what they were last year (not that they were amazing last year) but I never remembered him being as herky jerky as he is this year.

I think they want him to get straightened out and you could even see them convert him to a closer down in the minors, but I doubt it. If the Sox sign another starter or two this offseason (Or Reup with Colon) then I could definately see Wright moving to the closers slot.

I agree, Wrights mechanics are not there right now...and I still have confidence in him being a real solid #3-4 starter with us. But with Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland guaranteed to be our top 3 next year, and IF Colon begins to pitch consistently like he is capable of, thats a Top 4 rotation that can compete with anyone in the AL IMO. The key is, with Colons season going the way it has so far, will it bring his cost down enough to where KR will resign him?

I think right now if I were the Sox I'd be talking to him about a 3 yr 18 mill deal with option years and incentivies that could push the package to like 3 yr 25 mill.

Even throw in an incentive that if he wins the Cy Young he gets like a 3 mill bonus (meaning you pay him 9 mill that year). I love deals with incentives cause it means if the guy plays good, he gets paid fairly and if he play like crap he gets paid less and at a more fair rate.

I'd also give Buehrle his contract around 5 mill over 5 years guaranteed (total of 25 mill) with incentives that could push it around 30-35 Mill.

Then if Loaiza keeps pitching, talk to him about a 3 year deal. Unless a pitcher is really young, I don't think its wise giving big long term deals to starting pitchers.

I do agree a rotation of Colon, Buehrle, Loiaza, Garland and insert #5 here would be damn good. Flip Flop Colon/Loiaza but always have Buehrle in between. In the 5 hole I'd love it if Cotts were ready or if Wright could dominate.

Chisoxfn Posted on Jul 22 2003, 11:37 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats fine with me, but I do have confidence in Dave Sanders. I think the big thing with him is he hasnt' been used much and I doubt he'll get used all that much down the stretch unless he starts putting good performance after good performance together.

I think Sanders and Munoz will be fixtures in the pen starting next season.

Hopefully Wunsch can get things together, give him another week down there. Once Wunsch is back I think you'll see Wright come back up and we'd insert him into the pen. Him and Porzio could kind of mix around and do a couple of things.

I hope Wunsch get get his stuff back. He was dominating before his injury. If he gets back on track, our bullpen could be pretty solid with Wunsch, Marte, and Gordon. And it looks like White and even Koch :o are starting to come around.

I still think we really need to acquire a reliever. I mean, half the fans here are having heartattacks when anyone except Marte or Gordon are coming in. Having only two relievers you can trust is not gonna cut it.

Well getting Wunsch back will be huge cause i trust him and in all honesty I still trust Koch. If somehow he got fixed, then we'd have 4 guys I trust. White is really coming around so you could even argue 5.

Still until they prove it, right now we got 2 guys that I trust.

I personally would be satisfied with a bullpen that consisted of White, Gordon, Marte, Wunsch, Koch and Wright, with Porzio as the swingman. Wright becomes your long reliever, White and Wunsch are your situational guys, Marte and Gordon are the setup guys, and Koch is closing when all is right. Porzio starts as the #5, or relieves if his spot is skipped. With Colon, Buehrle, Loaiza and Garland...thats got potential to be a damn fine staff. I would like a lefty at the end of the rotation as the #5 though. Can Porzio do it consistently? Time will tell I guess.

Seems to me like we may need to start pushing a few of the guys from Birmingham up to AAA. There are quite a few guys there that we think highly of that are in that 24-25 age range, where they need to be making the moves necessary to get them MLB ready. Pacheco is 24, Dunn is 25, Meaux is 24.

I agree. I definately think Dunn should be moving to AAA pretty quick. He's been in AA for a while now. Meaux is just up there so I'd guess he would finish the season there.

I could also see someone like pacheco or Cotts get promoted if Diaz is one of the guys dealt and Pacheco isn't dealt.

If you see Pacheco and Diaz get dealt. I'd think that Cotts would move up to AAA with Honel moving up to AA and potentially Heath Phillips or Frankie Fransisco (IF not traded) moving up as well.

I still think we really need to acquire a reliever. I mean, half the fans here are having heartattacks when anyone except Marte or Gordon are coming in. Having only two relievers you can trust is not gonna cut it.

I think White has done well since June. And like last year I wouldn't be suprised if he did very well in the 2nd half.