Why are KW and JR "crying poor"???

caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
Because spending money wildly with no plan is a terrible way to do business and it wrecks your franchise real quick if you don't have Yankee resources.

And note that the Yankees stopped winning pennants after they broke $113 million in payroll. Not surprisingly, this is right around the time that they started going nuts and signing/trading for overpaid/declining players (Giambi, Sheffield, Randy Johnson, Damon, etc.). They also got hosed by investing way too much in Carl Pavano.

The last thing that we want is for the Sox to mimic the Cubs' spending habits. If avoiding that results in a perception of cheapness, so be it.

I think KW is still going to make a significant splash at the deadline. There is evidence of the recent attendance increase and Buerhle's Perfect Game should improve a little bit as well. The team is currently battling for 1st and shows no signs of slowing down. You potentially have Dye, Contreras, Dotel and Thome coming off the books after this season. Thats a total of about 40 million. Granit you still owe arbitration to Danks, CQ and Carasco which will likely be about 15 million total. So thats about 25 million right there cleared up. So if KW and JR are content of retaining the current water mark of salary, they would essentially have about 20-25 million to spend on pieces. A huge piece could come a bit early this season at the trade deadline. Honestly our lineup is solid 1-9 (thanks to Pod's unheard of return and the rapid progression of Beckham). We need a starting pitcher if this team is going to make a run. Richard has showed flashes of what he could be. Poreda also has shown some flashes, but also showed us he isn't ready yet. Colon is pretty much on his last leg. Torres seems decent but nothing fancy. Contreras is nothing more than a 5th starter. This team NEEDS a legitmate top of the rotation starting pitcher if they intend to compete for a World Championship. Don't let KW or JR fool you about money. If anything i truly believe it as a cheap marketing ploy to get more fans to go out to the game. We currently have the pieces in the farm to get that 'guy'. Who will that guy be? I'm not sure. But i'm confident KW isn't satisfied with this current starting rotation. . He is making his phone calls. Stay tuned, something will get done.

Did not see your quote/post but AMEN brother. I jus repeated most of this in a new thread. The starting rotation seriously needs a number 1/2 right now. If not no way we compete this year. :headbang

QUOTE (3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
Sox should be called on it, KW had no right to make those comments. Think about it, 2 years ago Buehrle was basically gone until he went down in his demands, Kenny even made comments that the trade was in place and Mark was really lucky that he came down. He had this really angry tone about it too (like 'you all better not rip on me if we live to regret this). That's how we treat a Sox legend?

I like KW as a GM but he is a bit on the ahole side,the way he trashed Big Hurt always bugged me...

Does anyone believe KW's recent comments have led to even ONE solitary White Sox "casual" fans attending a game out of "pity" for our poor economic situation...versus simply having a contending/exciting team that had been playing well and was much more fun to watch than in the first two weeks of the season?