Do you like ESPN?

Do you like ESPN?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch ESPN?

• Yes, it's a legitimate sports news source and one of the main places I get information
    • Hell no, it's worthless unless you are a fan of one of their favored teams
    • I don't ignore it, but there are other places I look before ESPN

Personally I've been boycotting ESPN for about 2 1/2 years now and I don't feel like I've missed a thing. Their coverage is ridiculous and at times hyperbolic, bordering on tabloid, and often their "analysis" is skin-deep trash. ESPN used to be the best network out there but it's been slipping, hard. I'm just wondering if anyone else ignores ESPN too.

edit: For clarity's sake, watching live events because they are broadcast by ESPN doesn't count if you want to choose the "Hell no" option.

Edited by lostfan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN is doing now what MTV did in the 90's. moving away from what made them popular and into "reality" and making themselves the story. No, I am not a fan anymore. I still look at the bottom line if I need a score, but as soon as I see what I want, Im done

There should be an "It Depends" option. I love that the network exists, I love that they try and expand their coverage for events such as the ConFed Cup, Euro Soccer Leagues, Strongman etc...I like that Sportscenter and Baseball Tonight exist. BUT, I hate how they cover like 5 teams for 90% of their shows. I wish there was a good alternative but for the most part there isn't. So I guess my answer is one of those "Yes, but no" type deals.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
ESPN is doing now what MTV did in the 90's. moving away from what made them popular and into "reality" and making themselves the story. No, I am not a fan anymore. I still look at the bottom line if I need a score, but as soon as I see what I want, Im done

That's actually a really good analogy. MTV is completely dead to me and sometimes I forget they even exist. I couldn't tell you what channel it is on my DirecTV and I couldn't name you one show that comes on anymore.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
There should be an "It Depends" option. I love that the network exists, I love that they try and expand their coverage for events such as the ConFed Cup, Euro Soccer Leagues, Strongman etc...I like that Sportscenter and Baseball Tonight exist. BUT, I hate how they cover like 5 teams for 90% of their shows. I wish there was a good alternative but for the most part there isn't. So I guess my answer is one of those "Yes, but no" type deals.

I tried to do that with Option #3.

BTW, the alternative is the internet. There's thousands of sports sites that cover everything just as well as ESPN does if you don't mind not being able to watch TV for it.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
I always go to the MLB Network if I want to see highlights and game statuses around the league.

Before this year, i used to turn on ESPN news to see highlights/scores around the league.

Now it's ONLY MLB network. I love their shows, and really don't mind any of their analysts, and find some kinda funny. And you gotta love the live, in game action.

ESPN is horrible. the only reason I would watch it was for BBTN (which wasn't very good, but I love baseball and once you got past the 20 minutes of Yankees and Red Sox, they would alude to other games) but not that MLBN exists there is zero reason for me to watch it except the live sporting events they have.

People need to read "God Save the Fan" by Will Leitch if they haven't yet.

For MLB it's a debacle. I turn to ESPNews if it's the 30 minutes past the hour mark and I know that the Sox Highlights will be leading off the half hour because of something spectacular happening. Otherwise, it's MLBTV.

For other sports..I don't get the NBA network, so i can't comment. I have less of a problem with their NBA and NFL coverage. The NFL network people are good but it's not night and day like it is with MLB for that sport, and every network these days seems to have a decent group of NFL people.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
I like First Take, NFL Live, Around The Horn (sans Hineybird), and PTI sometimes; but unless there's nothing on mlb network, I really don't watch them very much.

I will not pay for NFL Network.

Jay Crawford doesn't know how to pronounce Theriot, he says Thoreau.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Used to watch ESPN all the time, not anymore. Their host suck, their analysts suck, the shows suck. During baseball season I watch MLB network, during football season I watch NFL network.

Couldn't have said it better myself...when one of their hosts goes by the name of Trey Wingo,you know you're in trouble.

Featuring as an NFL qb expert a scrub like Sean Salisbury,well nuff said.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
Used to watch ESPN all the time, not anymore. Their host suck, their analysts suck, the shows suck. During baseball season I watch MLB network, during football season I watch NFL network.

This sums me up exactly. I only watch ESPN now for live games they're airing. I do love their commercials, though.

This is one of my favorites...

Edited by dasox24