How does Billy Beane do it?

DaTank

Complete steal by Billy Beane if you ask me.

A's receive:

3B - Brett Wallace (Cards top prospect)

RHP - Clayton Mortensen (2007 first round draft pick)

OF - Shane Peterson (2008 2nd round draft pick)

Cardinals receive:

OF - Matt Holliday

The A's to pay $1.5MM of the remainder of Holliday's salary; Cards left to pay about $4.5MM. Holliday is a free agent after the 2009 season.

Is it all in the A's favor if the Cards manage to win a world series?

Beane is good at what he does, but could you imagine being an A's fan and constantly seeing your team turned over and prospects brought in and re-issued around the league? Wouldnt it anger you to know that there is no true effort to win a World Series, only to remain somewhat competitive?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
Is it all in the A's favor if the Cards manage to win a world series?

Beane is good at what he does, but could you imagine being an A's fan and constantly seeing your team turned over and prospects brought in and re-issued around the league? Wouldnt it anger you to know that there is no true effort to win a World Series, only to remain somewhat competitive?

If my team was a small market team, I wouldn't mind what he does at all. The only way you're going to stay competitive as a small market team is to have no compassion. If you're not in it at the AS break, then anyone on your team who you can deal to build for the next season needs to be dealt. If you can get 1 borderline all-star who you can hold for 5+ seasons, then you've had a hell of a deal. Combine that with what teams usually pull from the draft, and you can get yourself in to a legit cycle of rebuilding for a couple years and then making legit runs for a couple years. It's the only way to do it with a $60 million or below salary base.

He does a great job for the situation he's in.

But I think it's a good deal for both teams. The Cards have the best hitter in the game in his prime years, I think they should basically do what they need to do to win in the next year or two. Also, they are a bigger market, so they'll likely be able to offer arbitration to Holliday and DeRosa so they can get them back or get picks if they leave.

Beane on the other hand is hamstrung by a low payroll and he needs prospects to hit to contend, and he does a good job of trading.

Edit: I'm actually not sure if the Oakland or St. Louis area is a bigger market, I meant to say payroll

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
I would hope that the Cards feel like they have a good shot at getting him to sign an extension cause Holliday isnt worth all that talent.

I believe Boras is his agent so an extension before the offseason is unlikely, but they're in a unique position with Pujols and even if they overpay in talent they need to focus on the next 2-3 years IMO

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
He might not be as good in those circumstances. Different type of scenario. Hard to say.

Kind of like between Omar Minaya Montreal and Omar Minaya Mets

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
He might not be as good in those circumstances. Different type of scenario. Hard to say.

Agreed entirely, the one guy they paid to keep was Eric Chavez, which has turned out to be a disaster. If they had a Sox-level payroll they'd have still had a hard time keeing Hudson, Mulder, Tejada, Giambi and Zito, and they could have easily made some bad choices in there.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
Holliday is going to be worth 2 picks in the offseason too, so you know Beane was taking that into consideration.

as were the Cardinals when they traded 3 prospects for him, they know that if they don't resign him they can probably afford the arbitration risk and atleast get some good picks out of it. Won't automatically get what they gave up, but still won't be empty handed

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
That is gonna be a mean 1-2 punch in St. Louis. Will be interesting to see who the fourth team in the playoffs will be in the NL. Cardinals, Dodgers, and Phillies seem like locks to me.

The Giants and Rockies have a good wild card fight going right now.

I hope this doesn't reignite the Beane worshiping again. And let me be clear, the last statement doesn't apply to everyone who admits he's a good general manager, but those who had anointed him as a God nearly 7-8 years ago and made life hell for everyone during their great years. If there's anything I've LOVED about Oakland embarrassing themselves these last several seasons its all the insufferable Beane slurping that I haven't had to read about. The man's name alone is irritating. BEANE. He is invincible, because if the team struggles its "what do you expect him to do with a low payroll," and when he succeeds its "look what he has done with a low payroll!"

Also, everyone is complimenting Beane; what about Mozeliak? I'm willing to believe he knows what he has in his former, fat ass prospect drafted only one year ago who's stuck behind Pujols. And when you're in the position of the Cardinals, with World Series aspirations, you can afford to give up obese prospects.

Edited by Flash Tizzle