How does Billy Beane do it?

DaTank

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
I hope this doesn't reignite the Beane worshiping again. And let me be clear, the last statement doesn't apply to everyone who admits he's a good general manager, but those who had anointed him as a God nearly 7-8 years ago and made life hell for everyone during their great years. If there's anything I've LOVED about Oakland embarrassing themselves these last several seasons its all the insufferable Beane slurping that I haven't had to read about. The man's name alone is irritating. BEANE. He is invincible, because if the team struggles its "what do you expect him to do with a low payroll," and when he succeeds its "look what he has done with a low payroll!"

Also, everyone is complimenting Beane; what about Mozeliak? I'm willing to believe he knows what he has in his former, fat ass prospect drafted only one year ago who's stuck behind Pujols. And when you're in the position of the Cardinals, with World Series aspirations, you can afford to give up obese prospects.

Billy Beane has a proven track record of making deals that are both fiscally smart, and logical over the long-term. He makes mistakes, but ultimately, seems to know exactly what he’s doing and is more at adept at making a plan for his organization and carrying it out. It’s somewhat sad how novel the concept of deriding Billy Beane has become since Moneyball was released. No one ever said he was infallible, but Is he damn good at his job? Honestly, yes.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 05:42 PM)
Billy Beane has a proven track record of making deals that are both fiscally smart, and logical over the long-term. He makes mistakes, but ultimately, seems to know exactly what he’s doing and is more at adept at making a plan for his organization and carrying it out. It’s somewhat sad how novel the concept of deriding Billy Beane has become since Moneyball was released. No one ever said he was infallible, but Is he damn good at his job? Honestly, yes.

I'm not doubting his ability as a general manager. You can stop defending him. It's those on the opposite end of the spectrum you're talking about that I have a problem with. You say the book has made many people dislike Beane; well, then you have to admit the opposite is true -- it has also created a legion of fan boys.

And yes, many people have practically made him infallible. This isn't an exaggeration; I know what I've read through the years. I've even seen it here on Soxtalk during the past, too.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
But I think it's a good deal for both teams. The Cards have the best hitter in the game in his prime years, I think they should basically do what they need to do to win in the next year or two. Also, they are a bigger market, so they'll likely be able to offer arbitration to Holliday and DeRosa so they can get them back or get picks if they leave.

Right, other than Wallace, the other two aren't spectacular looking prospects and I'm not sold on Wallace being an all-star type player. The Cardinals need to continue to sell the farm to support Pujols while they can. I think it could be a good deal for both teams. The compensation picks or resigning Holliday would be enough to justify the deal either way IMO.

Is Wallace's defense still that bad? Can anyone who has seen him play tell us anything about how it is currently? The way he made it sound at the Fan Fest during the All-Star weekend was that he's working very hard at his D. He said something along the lines of 'I'm going out and working on my defense an hour early every day'

How does Bill Beane do what? Put together a good small market team through trades and drafting that never makes it out of the first round of the playoffs?

OVER-RATED.

I would be so frustrated as a far of the A's. To choke so many times in a row....

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
If this guy is "Brutal at 3rd", then doesn't that give the A's 2 1bmen? Him and Chris Carter?

Designated Hitter.... and I've only seen a little of him, but Chris Carter will likely have to move to DH. And I think he'll be a bust anyway.

How does Bill Beane do what? Put together a good small market team through trades and drafting that never makes it out of the first round of the playoffs?

OVER-RATED.

I would be so frustrated as a far of the A's. To choke so many times in a row....

Sounds like the Minnesota Twins except everyone pops a boner whenever their system is brought up.

The Twins' last playoff series victory was in 2002 against the A's, and A's last playoff series was a sweep against the Twins in 2006. Of course the A's typically play in a tougher division just due to the fact of how good the Angels are and how they only have 2 teams to beat up on.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)

OVER-RATED.

The playoffs are a crapshoot it takes a hell of team just to get into the playoffs. And if our system had Cardenas, Weeks, Green, Anderson, Wallace, Cahill, Mazzaro, Devine, Simmons, Donaldson and Carter in it, i can't imagine anyone would complain when we traded a Brandon Allen.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
The playoffs are a crapshoot it takes a hell of team just to get into the playoffs. And if our system had Cardenas, Weeks, Green, Anderson, Wallace, Cahill, Mazzaro, Devine, Simmons, Donaldson and Carter in it, i can't imagine anyone would complain when we traded a Brandon Allen.

Do the A's even get to the playoffs without two artificially enhanced cheaters, who both stole MVP awards from more deserving players? Beane is a good GM. But he's certainly not the Messiah that some make him out to be. Honestly, other than a book, what's the difference between him and KW?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 02:29 AM)
Do the A's even get to the playoffs without two artificially enhanced cheaters, who both stole MVP awards from more deserving players? Beane is a good GM. But he's certainly not the Messiah that some make him out to be. Honestly, other than a book, what's the difference between him and KW?

Keep in mind this team had Hudson, Zito and Mulder in their rotation.

Long Billy Beane article in ESPN. Kenny Williams reference included:

"Listen, I never asked Michael to write about me. I never solicited him in any way," Beane says. "It's amazing to me that people still think I wrote the book. I didn't. I didn't ask them to do this movie. Do I have an ego? Sure. Who doesn't? That's why [White Sox GM] Kenny Williams is still one of the best guys running the game, because of his experience playing the game. He's got a certain swagger. It's still a business, but it's also a testosterone business."