Sox Looking to Add another Bullpen arm?

beck72

Ken Rosenthal says that the Sox are looking at the O's George Sherrill, among many other arms on their "radar". Sherrill seems to be a big flyball pitcher, looking at his splits, with 2x as many FB outs than GB. Not sure if he'd be a fit. But the key is that the sox are knocking on a lot of doors looking to the bullpen.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9848430...n-A%27s-Cabrera

Once again, we're looking at definitely losing Flowers if we traded for Sherrill.

I guess you take a good arm (right or left) wherever you can get it, but the White Sox will pay an additional premium because he's a LHP, and the biggest weakness in our pen right now (assuming Jenks is actually okay) has been Linebrink and to a lesser extent, Dotel and Carrasco.

Although Pena has shown some flashes, he's been erratic, as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
Once again, we're looking at definitely losing Flowers if we traded for Sherrill.

I guess you take a good arm (right or left) wherever you can get it, but the White Sox will pay an additional premium because he's a LHP, and the biggest weakness in our pen right now (assuming Jenks is actually okay) has been Linebrink and to a lesser extent, Dotel and Carrasco.

Although Pena has shown some flashes, he's been erratic, as well.

The O's are said to be looking at a major league ready corner IFer. Flowers I wouldn't do for Sherrill, who is likely their best trade chip.

The sox should look at a guy like Scott Downs. He gets groundballs, keeps walks down, and gets K's. With the Jays in cost cutting mode, they should want his salary [$3.75 mill., IIRC] off the books.

The Orioles will be asking for Closer value for Sherrill where as the Sox would be using him as their 2nd lefty out of the pen. Not a great fit for the Sox, you'd definitely have to overpay. It's like the Twins trading for Victor Martinez to be their backup catcher (extreme example), he's only going to start maybe 15 games for them the rest of the way but the Indians don't give a s*** they'd be asking for talent in return equivalent to that of a top 5 catcher in the game of baseball.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
The O's are said to be looking at a major league ready corner IFer. Flowers I wouldn't do for Sherrill, who is likely their best trade chip.

The sox should look at a guy like Scott Downs. He gets groundballs, keeps walks down, and gets K's. With the Jays in cost cutting mode, they should want his salary [$3.75 mill., IIRC] off the books.

Downs would be ideal as he's a good groundball reliever who also strikes out quite a few hitters. But he's also the Jays closer right now, so he won't come cheap.

Some guys I'd like to see us target (if we moved Dotel);

Peter Moylan - Throws at a very high velocity and is a 66% GB reliever. His ERA should be lower (FIP at 2.81) so I think he'd be a good target, plus he's an Aussie to boot. :aussie:

Brad Ziegler - Another excellent groundball reliever who can close.

Pedro Feliciano - The Mets are going nowhere, and he's been a good reliever for a few seasons. Decent GB rate of 58%.

David Weathers - Not a great GB reliever, but he's experienced, got good numbers, and the Reds are slipping.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
Downs would be ideal as he's a good groundball reliever who also strikes out quite a few hitters. But he's also the Jays closer right now, so he won't come cheap.

Some guys I'd like to see us target (if we moved Dotel);

Peter Moylan - Throws at a very high velocity and is a 66% GB reliever. His ERA should be lower (FIP at 2.81) so I think he'd be a good target, plus he's an Aussie to boot. :aussie:

Brad Ziegler - Another excellent groundball reliever who can close.

Pedro Feliciano - The Mets are going nowhere, and he's been a good reliever for a few seasons. Decent GB rate of 58%.

David Weathers - Not a great GB reliever, but he's experienced, got good numbers, and the Reds are slipping.

Yanks want Downs big time.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 02:11 AM)
Yanks want Downs big time.

Yeah but will Riccardi want to trade within the division?

If he packaged Halladay and Downs to the Yanks in 1 deal though, he could certainly get a HUGE package back.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
Yeah but will Riccardi want to trade within the division?

If he packaged Halladay and Downs to the Yanks in 1 deal though, he could certainly get a HUGE package back.

Depends on the price. Downs was the reason why the Phils and Yanks were the only teams scouting the Jays last night. With the Yanks only looking at Downs

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 03:50 PM)
The Orioles will be asking for Closer value for Sherrill where as the Sox would be using him as their 2nd lefty out of the pen. Not a great fit for the Sox, you'd definitely have to overpay. It's like the Twins trading for Victor Martinez to be their backup catcher (extreme example), he's only going to start maybe 15 games for them the rest of the way but the Indians don't give a s*** they'd be asking for talent in return equivalent to that of a top 5 catcher in the game of baseball.

That's another reason why Sherrill doesn't make a lot of sense. Though, if the sox fail to get an "elite" SP, getting an elite bullpen arm is a decent back up plan--as long as the asking price outrageous.

I guess knowing the asking price for a player--elite or not--is smart business.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 02:28 PM)
Then Joe Beimel (WAS) and Arthur Rhodes (CIN) make a whole hell of a lot more sense than trading for a closer.

I agree. The Sox have definately targeted Sherril but the Angels and Dodgers both have bigger needs in the pen and ultimately I can't see giving up a big chip to get a reliever after the Sox already traded Brandon Allen for one. If we use our top prospects, use them on Dan Haren.