Shopping Dotel?

Chet Lemon

I have read many hypothetical/speculative trades involving Dotel from all types of sources. Why would the Sox want to move him this year? Linebrink has been disappointing. Pena has not pitched well at all this year. Jenks' WHIP is rising. Second to Thornton and maybe DJ, I think Dotel is one we need this year.

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
I have read many hypothetical/speculative trades involving Dotel from all types of sources. Why would the Sox want to move him this year? Linebrink has been disappointing. Pena has not pitched well at all this year. Jenks' WHIP is rising. Second to Thornton and maybe DJ, I think Dotel is one we need this year.

I think out of necissity we dont lose dotel. Plus he seems headed to be a type a free agent so we would get a draft pick for losing him at the end of the year.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
I think out of necissity we dont lose dotel. Plus he seems headed to be a type a free agent so we would get a draft pick for losing him at the end of the year.

yeppo! He has been one of our more 'reliable' relievers this season. I think Ozzie and KW would regret losing him. Linebrink on the other hand. . . .

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)

Yeah, not so much. I can't think of a reason why Octavio Dotel wouldn't just accept arbitration and guarantee himself $6.5M+ for 2010.

The Sox don't want to lose him for nothing. They don't want to pay him 6 million again next year. They want to use that money freed up by trading Dotel for someone else. The Sox would have another reliever lined up to take his place first.

For example they move Dotel for prospects. They trade the farm for Haren, Halladay, or KW surprise starting pitcher and use Dotel's money to help pay him. Richard moves to the pen. Pena takes over Dotel's role.

Haren, Halladay, KW surprise

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Contreras/Colon/Freddie who ever is healthiest.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
The Sox don't want to lose him for nothing. They don't want to pay him 6 million again next year. They want to use that money freed up by trading Dotel for someone else. The Sox would have another reliever lined up to take his place first.

For example they move Dotel for prospects. They trade the farm for Haren, Halladay, or KW surprise starting pitcher and use Dotel's money to help pay him. Richard moves to the pen. Pena takes over Dotel's role.

Haren, Halladay, KW surprise

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Contreras/Colon/Freddie who ever is healthiest.

get rid of dotel however; I won't drive him to the airport. All my sox fans cringe when he gets the bullpen call. When he's good he's very good but when he's not on he is just plain scary as evidenced by the 1.45 whip.

If we're going to make this move for Haren or Halladay or "mystery pitcher" (like Garland), then we need to do it ASAP before we go into the next week of games...

Definitely okay with trying someone like Pena instead of Dotel and using that money elsewhere. The only (and obvious) problem with that is the current level of shakiness with Linebrink and Jenks.

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)

For all the reasons you stated, Dotel is the one to trade. His value is the highest and will bring back the biggest return, other than Bobby, and will bring back the biggest return. Plus Pena was acquired to serve in Dotels role, so there is a replacement in house already.