$45M in Payroll Committments For 2010

Marty34

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)
Brandon Allen wont be a middle of the order hitter.

How can you be so sure about that?

Beckham is projected by everyone to be a #3 hitter, and I would be hard pressed to believe he will ever get much above 850 for an OPS. The guy is not Chase Utley or Hector Reborn (reference to Gladiator/Troy).

I know JPN and some of the minor league people were really upset about his loss, and also his recent return to form for the DBacks' AAA affiliate.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
Then why did we trade Brandon Allen?

That makes no sense at all....unless KW thought he could get a better young LH 1B/DH type than Brandon for Dotel. Which would have been a pretty risky assumption to make on KW's part.

There aren't many LH 1B available? Oft-injured Nick Johnson?

When Brandon Allen is your best option after Thome you have problems. The list of available LH middle-of-the-order hitters you posted isn't impressive. Dunn would be the best of the lot.

Ankiel, Blalock, Huff and Matsui would probably be the four best options, along with Dunn.

Of course, there's been a lot of fascination with Abreu over the years, and Vladimir Guerrero undoubtedly will be an interesting decision for the Angels...and then there's Figgins. Tempting to go after Vladdy, we always get superstars about 3-5 years too late in their careers (Griffey, R. Alomar, Thome, etc.)

I guess I would take a Figgins/Dunn offseason, although Figgins/Dunn/Crisp would also make me happy.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
Didn't he sign a two year deal?

Hudson did not sign a two year deal, though his performance based bonuses are pretty ridiculous. Hudson has already made 2.3 million in incentives and is only 3 plate appearances away from an additional 0.25 million.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 08:45 AM)
I would want to go after Matt Hollliday, but i wouldnt be surprised if he signs an extension with st. louis.

He won't sign before the end of the season, that's guaranteed. His agent is Boras, that's the way they roll. You want to extend him now, you offer him 10/$250. Otherwise he's hitting the FA market. The Sox should have a legitimate shot at him if they're really interested. The question is...how much do you offer a guy who's been as inconsistent, esp. in the AL, as Holliday was this year? Do you offer enough to beat what other teams might offer? Based on the last 2 years of reduced numbers and his age of 29, I'm not sure I go beyond like 3/36, and I think that's the kind of offer someone else would beat. I don't like spending stupid money, and I think someone offering him a lot would be tantamount to paying stupid money.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
When Brandon Allen is your best option after Thome you have problems. The list of available LH middle-of-the-order hitters you posted isn't impressive. Dunn would be the best of the lot.

I used to be opposed to Dunn, but he would be an excellent replacement for Thome. He has hit 40 or more HR's each of the last five consecutive seasons and has a career OBP of .383 covering eight MLB seasons. In addition, he is on pace to exceed 40 this year. You know you will be getting great power numbers from the guy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
He won't sign before the end of the season, that's guaranteed. His agent is Boras, that's the way they roll. You want to extend him now, you offer him 10/$250. Otherwise he's hitting the FA market. The Sox should have a legitimate shot at him if they're really interested. The question is...how much do you offer a guy who's been as inconsistent, esp. in the AL, as Holliday was this year? Do you offer enough to beat what other teams might offer? Based on the last 2 years of reduced numbers and his age of 29, I'm not sure I go beyond like 3/36, and I think that's the kind of offer someone else would beat. I don't like spending stupid money, and I think someone offering him a lot would be tantamount to paying stupid money.

I think you have to cut Holliday a little bit of slack. He hit in a lineup where nobody besides maybe Jack Cust and himself scared anybody. He also hit in the worst hitter's park in baseball. Yet, he still had an OPS+ of 125 in Oakland. His OPS+ was only 140 last year with Colorado. He should be somewhere close to that OPS+ this year as he's going to hit very well in St. Louis.

If we are really serious about signing him this off-season, the move to St. Louis might have been the worst thing to happen. Because you know his value is going to skyrocket if the Cardinals make it into the postseason and do well. Holliday's also a pretty damn good player in October as well.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
I would not bring Jenks back.

Crawford's an interesting guy, but if you do get him he goes to CF. Another guy who probably will be available is Dunn. Last year of contract @ 12M. He'll cost less in a trade than Crawford and if he signs an extension he'll give you Thome-like production for the next 3-4 years. He could also slide over to 1B when Konerko leaves.

2. Ramirez SS

3. Beckham 3B

4. Quentin LF

5. Dunn DH

6 Konerko 1B

7 AJP C

Cost $58M minus prospects for Dunn.

I want Dunn in the worst way, as long as he never steps foot in the outfield again.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
I am fairly confident, one of them will be back, maybe both. Of course, at reduced rates likely. But it's not like we really have better alternatives in the minors nor are there much better options in free agency. You would hope that one would be willing to be the DH again at maybe $5 million, giving the Sox some more money to add to the club in free agency.

Yeah im pretty sure Jermain Dye is going to be back. They have an option on him. Im not sure if he will be the RF or the DH. I guess if he is the RF then they could easily bring back Thome for DH at some sort of reduced price. Dye has been a beast this year, well except for the last week or so where he has started to pull off the ball a little and roll over. He looks a little pull happy right now and has been making a ton of outs on the ground to 3B and SS. But nonetheless hes still a producer.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
I want to see the band (Thome and Dye) back together for another year. We also have to keep Pods. Yeah, we will be old and slow for at least another year, but that's how it's always been.

We need to address Beckham first and foremost. Do we want him being our cornerstone third-baseman or middle infielder? Lexi needs to pick a position too. Orlando Hudson will be out there if we need the help.

they same lineup again??basecloggers in the middle ugh

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
Yeah im pretty sure Jermain Dye is going to be back. They have an option on him. Im not sure if he will be the RF or the DH. I guess if he is the RF then they could easily bring back Thome for DH at some sort of reduced price. Dye has been a beast this year, well except for the last week or so where he has started to pull off the ball a little and roll over. He looks a little pull happy right now and has been making a ton of outs on the ground to 3B and SS. But nonetheless hes still a producer.

We have an option on him but I'd be shocked if we exercise it.

I think the million dollar buyout and a 2-3 year extension at a much more affordable price is more likely.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
We have an option on him but I'd be shocked if we exercise it.

I think the million dollar buyout and a 2-3 year extension at a much more affordable price is more likely.

so u want to resign jd for another 3 years? i dont think we want to be like the cubs and have contracts for a lot of money for players in their late 30s. hes been great but i wouldnt do 3 years. just exercise the contract and see what happens

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
so u want to resign jd for another 3 years? i dont think we want to be like the cubs and have contracts for a lot of money for players in their late 30s. hes been great but i wouldnt do 3 years. just exercise the contract and see what happens

I wouldn't mind it. He isn't going to get 12 million a year on the open market at his age in this economy. It's just not going to come remotely close to happening.

So you spend a million on the buyout. I can see him getting between 5-9 mill a year. I wouldn't mind paying Dye 7.5 mil to come be our DH for 3 years regardless of age. He doesnt seem to be breaking down to the point where he couldn't DH and still hit .280 with 30 homers and knock in around 100.

He said he'd like to stay here, so we'll see just how badly he wants to. But 12 million mutual option isn't happening.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)

2-3 years for a RF/DH is not bad. JD has been consistent and if he stays relatively close to his career numbers, if the Sox want to trade him down the line, there will be takers.

Also, I want Gabe Kapler as my 4th OF/DH. Not for a lot of money, but the guy's a gamer and I have always liked him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)

yeah when u say stupid $$ comes to mind you remind me of JD Drew. An obvious players who should be something like 4/36 who is getting 5/70. Dumb!